FAC interview do's & don'ts!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't play with your self while they are talking and take those photos of ewes  wearing lipstick down! Oh and ask which is the best bullet for charging mice. In the bag mate ?  

Mine started with a cup of tea then the question:  Tell me about your record???

My last renewal was about 7pm, opened the door with a cider in hand an fag in gob, he took a look at my cabinet refused a cider and left, all in the space of ten mins ?

15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Dorset are laidback as f**k! Lol. I know for a fact that Dorset are happy to allow 9mm semi auto pistols for HD.

Its a different game up here mate.

Apparently Dorset have more firearms license holders than any other county in England and more deer as well 

Just be normal, don't get cocky, don't crawl and don't be worried.

Know some technical stuff, know safety and have answers as to why you need the kit, and if he asks something you don't know be straight about it!

:thumbs:

PS      If you think you have a case for an Open (unrestricted) FAC ask, worst he can say is no.  Mine and many others was Open day one and I understand Open is common day one in Scotland, so give it a try!

Edited by Deker
1 hour ago, Deker said:

Just be normal, don't get cocky, don't crawl and don't be worried.

Know some technical stuff, know safety and have answers as to why you need the kit, and if he asks something you don't know be straight about it!

:thumbs:

PS      If you think you have a case for an Open (unrestricted) FAC ask, worst he can say is no.  Mine and many others was Open day one and I understand Open is common day one in Scotland, so give it a try!

Yup, I've always had an open ticket here, but I have a lot of ground to cover and occasionally get invited on other estates.

12 hours ago, nick703 said:

Hope you don’t need land to be passed, Notts told me I couldn’t use my 243 on one of my permissions because it was only passed for 22 250 an they had no one employed to go out to approve said land so they gave me a 223 for that land ? ?

Will only be using it at work to begin with & that's cleared 22lr & 17HMR 

• Like 2

These are the questions in his mind.  Have you been  good or bad?  Are you safe to be issued with a weapon? Are the public going to be safe?  Do you have good reason to have a weapon? Do you have ground where the weapon can be safely used?  Is the weapon and ammunition going to be kept in secure conditions whereby  no passing Individual can get easy access.  Not whether you've got the right biscuits . Don't forget they've got a big workload and a lot of paperwork so it should be in and out. Anything  else would be classed as unprofessional or even something more serious.

Ps. Be realistic in what you ask for but think over the horizon for what you might  wasnt or else you will have to apply for a variation which will cost you financially and some time to acquire.  Also it isn't a bad thing to have a spare slot in case something  happens to come along. 

Edited by Meece
On 13/09/2019 at 12:05, Born Hunter said:

No chance. First renewal, unless he can submit enough evidence to justify it before that.

On 13/09/2019 at 17:45, sussex said:

I do know a lady that got 6.5 x 55 granted with an open ticket ..very very rare , she had been on a lot of paid stalks with a very experienced stalker and had done her dsc1 before applying , she also had a lot of cleared land to shoot over ..

The best before that was 12 months from grant to open , again fairly rare event ..

You'll get an open ticket at 1st grant if you're buying paid stalking, especially in Scotland because paid stalking takes place over many pieces of land and your permission to be there is only fleeting for the duration of your stalk making a closed ticket impossible. As there are hundreds of stalks, it's impossible to tie you to a specific piece of land. In Scotland, of course, land isn't approved. You may however, get a mentor condition with an open cert at 1st grant requiring you to shoot with someone experienced or a stalking guide, just to ensure you're not doing anything you shouldn't be through inexperience.

As for your interview / calibre choices, finding out what your local force usually grant is a good start. HMR wouldn't be my 1st choice for fox, but then it depends on the distance you're shooting, what the local force grant and if HMR is going to be you're only gun. Be aware, buying 1 good only / saving money, isn't good reason.

I've only done SGC interviews, but the hardest question you're likely to face based on my experience is what do you think about (insert name of tragedy here). This one is obvious. Don't treat it jokingly, it won't go down well. It requires a serious response.

Also, as others have said have some good knowledge of safety procedures including ensuring the gun is safe and backstopping. For making safe a gun I was taught the military method and I recommend you consider the same, safe direction, safety on, magazine out, cycle action 3 times (after the last bullet is ejected - if a bullet is ejected it's 3 times more all of which must be clear) to ensure the action is clear, then visually inspect the chamber to be clear (from the bolt (safe) end!!). Only then should you declare it safe and sleeve it. Many shooters also like to remove the bolt when transporting guns between shoots for additional safety - both theft and accident prevention.

• Like 1