FAC interview do's & don'ts!!

Got my interview next week for my FAC application. Put in for HMR & sound mod.

What kind of questions can I expect? Should I even question his/the force opinion on HMR for fox? Do I have to specify what I do plan on using it for or do I ask for ALQ?

And I'll have some biscuits in!! 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't play with your self while they are talking and take those photos of ewes  wearing lipstick down! Oh and ask which is the best bullet for charging mice. In the bag mate ?  

Mine started with a cup of tea then the question:  Tell me about your record???

My last renewal was about 7pm, opened the door with a cider in hand an fag in gob, he took a look at my cabinet refused a cider and left, all in the space of ten mins ?

It's nott's so they'll probably have no issues with a hmr for fox and all other vermin. They didn't for mine on first application.

They like bolts and mods to be stored separate to rifle (in ammo safe) and the keys to be hidden in separate places. They also like you to demonstrate your experience so be prepared to talk about what you do and your knowledge on general vermin control/shooting. It's really nothing major mate.

• Like 1

Most like to ask about back stops and safe shooting practice, the may also ask about how far you think the round will travel unobstructed ( it might be a lot further than you think, google it ) Cleveland are ok with hmr for fox but when I was asked I said mainly for rabbits and sometimes fox on the sheep farm where centre fire was not an option, but you don’t have to mention for fox, you also want an open ticket so you are not restricted to where you can use it, tell them about your pheasant shoot and how you can shoot rifles there ?

Edited by Stavross
29 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Most like to ask about back stops and safe shooting practice, the may also ask about how far you think the round will travel unobstructed ( it might be a lot further than you think, google it ) Cleveland are ok with hmr for fox but when I was asked I said mainly for rabbits and sometimes fox on the sheep farm where centre fire was not an option, but you don’t have to mention for fox, you also want an open ticket so you are not restricted to where you can use it, tell them about your pheasant shoot and how you can shoot rifles there ?

No chance. First renewal, unless he can submit enough evidence to justify it before that.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

No chance. First renewal, unless he can submit enough evidence to justify it before that.

I’ve never understood why people have problems with open tickets, tell them you shoot the land that you have put on your application and you have also been offed pest control on the local stables, I’ve had my FAC for a good few years now but right from the start I’ve had no restrictions on it and to start off with my first bit of land was my only bit and that was under 10 acres, I know someone who used to shoot at a club and had no land and he has an open ticket, it seems the all the forces make up there own rules 

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never understood why people have problems with open tickets, tell them you shoot the land that you have put on your application and you have also been offed pest control on the local stables, I’ve had my FAC for a good few years now but right from the start I’ve had no restrictions on it and to start off with my first bit of land was my only bit and that was under 10 acres, I know someone who used to shoot at a club and had no land and he has an open ticket, it seems the all the forces make up there own rules 

By all means ask. I'll put money on the answer being no. I'm speaking from direct and indirect experience with Nott's.

• Like 1

Don’t hide any historical offences from them no matter how minor they will know and bring it up at the interview mine did years ago in front of my two lads and the pair of arseholes started taking the piss out of me while my fire arms officer was still there.

As for biscuits mine likes Chinese and fry ups. ?

Don't mention the voices in your head that said you needed a gun. :laugh:

Seriously, don't sweat it. Unless you have something to hide or are a criminal, you'll  breeze through it. They aren't trying to catch you out, they're trying  to make sure you're not a slavering nutjob. 

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

By all means ask. I'll put money on the answer being no. I'm speaking from direct and indirect experience with Nott's.

I do know a lady that got 6.5 x 55 granted with an open ticket ..very very rare , she had been on a lot of paid stalks with a very experienced stalker and had done her dsc1 before applying , she also had a lot of cleared land to shoot over ..

The best before that was 12 months from grant to open , again fairly rare event ..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, walshie said:

Don't mention the voices in your head that said you needed a gun. :laugh:

Seriously, don't sweat it. Unless you have something to hide or are a criminal, you'll  breeze through it. They aren't trying to catch you out, they're trying  to make sure you're not a slavering nutjob. 

You did well mate , was you not dribbling when you had yours ....?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Got my interview next week for my FAC application. Put in for HMR & sound mod.

What kind of questions can I expect? Should I even question his/the force opinion on HMR for fox? Do I have to specify what I do plan on using it for or do I ask for ALQ?

And I'll have some biscuits in!! 

Just be yaself pal, you'll be grand ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1