Does anyone know why dogs eat grass.

The one I have here is always at it.

She's well cared for in worm and flea treatment, and is on top grub, meat, fish veg and kibble. 

Is it a sign she could be lacking in something. 

Atb j 

12 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

There are folks on here with more knowlage than me but i thought it was a help with digestion...

I have one the same as yours, top grub, excercise & graft and in a field you'd think she was cocker x friesian...??

Lol, know what you mean.  Saves mowing the lawn. 

This bitch is in fine health, fit and strong, just can't understand the grass eating.

16 hours ago, jetro said:

Lol, know what you mean.  Saves mowing the lawn. 

This bitch is in fine health, fit and strong, just can't understand the grass eating.

I think its something to do with A build of acid in the guts and they eat it to neutralize it or sick bile up, etc ...noticed more on an all-meat diet 

I should dry eating grass after a night on the cider ?

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

I think its something to do with A build of acid in the guts and they eat it to neutralize it or sick bile up, etc ...noticed more on an all-meat diet 

I should dry eating grass after a night on the cider ?

Don't know about it been a cure for over indulging in cider LOL. 

I might up her veggie intake to see will it help her a bit.

Atb j 

1 hour ago, jetro said:

Don't know about it been a cure for over indulging in cider LOL. 

I might up her veggie intake to see will it help her a bit.

Atb j 

I tried this mate and while it did improve the matter, they still like a graze, maybe dogs just like certain grasses. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

I tried this mate and while it did improve the matter, they still like a graze, maybe dogs just like certain grasses. 

I'm not overly worried, she's in fine health and fit as a fiddle, was just thinking she's lacking in something, but can't see what.

Atb j 

7 minutes ago, mhopton said:

Dogs eat grass when they have an upset stomach mate don’t worry too much about it 

Thanks  mhopton.

She doesn't do it every day, but often enough. I'll just keep a close eye on her, change her diet a bit maybe. 

Atb j 

Some dogs will ingest grass if they feel unwell and others will eat grass all day well or not 

some dogs are browsers and will go from blackberry to grass to cleavers to whatever is available , dogs like that are usually fairly grounded and level headed , the ability to switch off and browse shows a calm animal 

Mine normally has a little grass quite often, but after a rough few months is eating a fair bit more and off her food some days. She had some weeks lead walk only with an injury, then came into season, then had a nasty bout of bad guts about ten days ago and has been off and on with her food since . Eating  a bit more grass than normal but not to puke up and not a happy dog. Bit difficult to keep weight on, but normally ok eater and happy and healthy dog. Not sure what to do to get her back to normal :hmm: