Bedlington x Greyhound

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

Used to be crawling with them. Also crawling with complete dickhead keepers. One of them threatended to shoot my dogs and the conversation took a downturn at that point.

I hardly go down there now mate head up the wad now  bit heard a few things but who knows alot lads go for the whites there 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Heard from more than one source that Spud was not a first cross but the dogs long dead so who should care.

I know if i was gonna breed an F1 cross, i'd be finding a Beddy stud that knows its job underground, if there is such a beast...? 

Why does it have to be below ground there are enough good workers that work above ground and why breed from a 14 in  that works below when u can have an 18 in good dog that works above

• Like 1

Aye. I used to get whites  up there many  moons ago.. Used to stink of rabbits there were that many. Had a permission in the North East of England very similar. Farmer used to beg me to control them. Took hundreds every year and then suddenly nothing...RHD.

Edited by jukel123
2 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Aye. I used to get whites up there. Had a bitch took low flying grouse too. She had a right and a left twice in one day.lol. Used to stink of rabbits there were that many. Had a permission in the North East of England very similar. Farmer used to beg me to control them. Took hundreds every year and then suddenly nothing...RHD.

Think tbe drop boxes have done alot of damage as well but thete no way you can control.the moors with boxes heard the rabbits ate making a come back on parts of it 

• Like 1

The rabbits in the borders will never recover to what they  were ever be your average mutt could kill 50 back then even wick durness places were alive way game back then only good bird flights on estates now stalking even the salmon will never recover like it was in any river if you have something good look after it manage it properly I only ever took what I needed killing loads game  or fish never done it for me it was always about the quality for me the whole day out .

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

The rabbits in the borders will never recover to what they  were ever be your average mutt could kill 50 back then even wick durness places were alive way game back then only good bird flights on estates now stalking even the salmon will never recover like it was in any river if you have something good look after it manage it properly I only ever took what I needed killing loads game  or fish never done it for me it was always about the quality for me the whole day out .

Yeah I'm same not that I got the choice ?

A friend of mine bred 3/4 greyhound 1/4 wheaton terriers years ago,the greyhound he used was a bitch that was banned off the track for fighting,it had great bloodlines and would of probably made a champion if it hadn't been for its bad temper,anyway she was very gamey in the field and after her first fox that she took to hunting like a duck to water,he bred a first cross  wheaton greyhound with this bitch and everyone of her pups turned out to be very good at their job and were afraid of nothing,the chap that owned the wheaton greyhound put this dog over another greyhound and the pups she produced were ok,not as gamey as the fighting bitches pups,but they had their uses

• Like 1

I don’t quite know how to phrase this dbod 

but  i have a very unusual memory , as in things stick in my head for no reason 

but I’m pretty certain , as I don’t own that book anymore , that most of your original post is lifted straight from a Brian Plummer book called “the complete book of sight hounds, long dogs and lurchers” 

it was the fighting greyhounds part and the rillington Bedlington blood 

unusual 

but im willing to be proved wrong 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
32 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

but I’m pretty certain , as I don’t own that book anymore , that most of your original post is lifted straight from a Brian Plummer book called “the complete book of sight hounds, long dogs and lurchers” 

unusual 

?   he pen somthing like the above deff, regards  1x beddy x greys  i only ever seen 2, and they were nice dogs  about 24in  50 odd lb, had fair few rabbits, and few foxes , there were from 2 different blokes .  you see alot of beddy x whippet x grey  lurchers, but as ive always said , dont see the point of it , as the 1x beddy x grey  can do the same job as a beddy x whippet x grey . but if people are not breeding this type to day , like alot of things in dog world , some just go out of fashion . regards this thing about dogs fighting, they soon think twice when old charlie clamped on there muzzle few times , not many lurchers can take pain like a good 1x pit x grey, the best i ever saw was 1x staff x grey tug, i spoke about him before , that fooker  had no reverse  in him, seeing him made me like bullxs this was in the 80s . he was ok with other dogs as well, never started fight, but could deff finish one no prob , had good temp great dog . maybe  the lad be better off getting a beddyx wippet x grey x bull x grey,  or beddyx grey x collie x greyhe prob have better chance of getting a pup .  lurcher x lurcher  he wont go wrong.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

unusual 

I think your right mate my first impression was someone had got a bit excited An recited the writings of a bummer book 

• Haha 3
17 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

Why does it have to be below ground there are enough good workers that work above ground and why breed from a 14 in  that works below when u can have an 18 in good dog that works above

I'll tell you why Troyboy, because for me, i'd expect a Beddy cross to be able to take more than just rabbits and i'd better my chances of that by using an earth dog.

The Bedlington of old, if history is correct, was a hard dog and used by the Fell Packs to produce terriers capable of killing foxes underground.

If its just about size, then one of those 18" poodle things are the job for you but for me, if it had to be a Beddy cross, then i'd be willing to sacrifice an inch or two and always go for a stud thats true to type and working foxes below ground.

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I'll tell you why Troyboy, because for me, i'd expect a Beddy cross to be able to take more than just rabbits and i'd better my chances of that by using an earth dog.

The Bedlington of old, if history is correct, was a hard dog and used by the Fell Packs to produce terriers capable of killing foxes underground.

If its just about size, then one of those 18" poodle things are the job for you but for me, if it had to be a Beddy cross, then i'd be willing to sacrifice an inch or two and always go for a stud thats true to type and working foxes below ground.

??

• Like 3