Bedlington x Greyhound

Lads,i am looking for some information on the breed of lurcher,[Bedlington x greyhound first cross],

I have always fancied breeding this lurcher .can I ask a few questions to any lads on here that have bred or own this breed,1,the first cross,what height do they make,2 are they ideal for the lamp and working with terriers along cover,and are they big enough and bold enough to tackle anything bigger than a hare or rabbit.

I was always interested in this breed of lurcher,but like everything I either hadn't the time or the space to breed one ,but now as I have plenty of time and loads of space I am going to have a go at this breed of lurcher,

I have a friend who trains greyhounds and from time to time he gets dogs in that have injured themselves either on the track or in the field,most of these dogs are from top breeding so will be ideal for a lurcher,or even better a bitch that has been banned from the track for fighting as I think this would be a addition to get a good gamey lurcher from this breed.

As for the right Bedlington to put across the greyhound,it will have to be a working bedlington from a history of working beddys,so throught my travels over the last few weeks in search of a terrier for a Russell bitch,i came across a chap that keeps and works bedlingtons,very gamey terriers[rillington lines I am told]they hunt cover all day,he shoots over them,but they are as good above ground as they are below,he brought them in from the south of England he said and he has the pedigree  of these that go back over 30 years,so ideal for my starting point of lurcher breeding,and for a pup from this litter given in for the service of this terrier,

Edited by Dbod
  • Like 4

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

huge can of worms is opened when Bedlingtons are discussed. Good luck in your quest. I certainly wouldn't look for a bitch that's been banned for fighting, a dog doesn't have to be a fighter to be game, I would avoid that side of it. 

• Like 14
1 minute ago, fred90 said:

huge can of worms is opened when Bedlingtons are discussed. Good luck in your quest. I certainly wouldn't look for a bitch that's been banned for fighting, a dog doesn't have to be a fighter to be game, I would avoid that side of it. 

I'd agree, greyhounds should be driven to chase rather than fighting.

• Like 4

Most bedlingtons are talked up by enthusiast or breeders of kc bedlingtons most are not what there made out to be don’t be gullible in going on someone’s word alone that there good get to see them work first be it bushing bedlington,fox dog,or ferreting bedlington after all your trying to produce decent dogs you need the best ingredients in the melting pot not no names in a kc dog 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Don’t seem to see many 1st cross bedlington greyhounds these days....... I remember Gary Hoskers spud.....not sure if it was pure bed x grey and was fence hoppers a 1st cross......looked like a big bedlington.

Heard that spud was a load of shite 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

Heard that spud was a load of shite 

he was quite a star in the 80's. hosker and spud in the shooting news. I am sure dales hunting lads will know. but I am sure it's been said he wasn't that sparkling. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dbod said:

Lads,i am looking for some information on the breed of lurcher,[Bedlington x greyhound first cross],

I have always fancied breeding this lurcher .can I ask a few questions to any lads on here that have bred or own this breed,1,the first cross,what height do they make,2 are they ideal for the lamp and working with terriers along cover,and are they big enough and bold enough to tackle anything bigger than a hare or rabbit.

I was always interested in this breed of lurcher,but like everything I either hadn't the time or the space to breed one ,but now as I have plenty of time and loads of space I am going to have a go at this breed of lurcher,

I have a friend who trains greyhounds and from time to time he gets dogs in that have injured themselves either on the track or in the field,most of these dogs are from top breeding so will be ideal for a lurcher,or even better a bitch that has been banned from the track for fighting as I think this would be a addition to get a good gamey lurcher from this breed.

As for the right Bedlington to put across the greyhound,it will have to be a working bedlington from a history of working beddys,so throught my travels over the last few weeks in search of a terrier for a Russell bitch,i came across a chap that keeps and works bedlingtons,very gamey terriers[rillington lines I am told]they hunt cover all day,he shoots over them,but they are as good above ground as they are below,he brought them in from the south of England he said and he has the pedigree  of these that go back over 30 years,so iseal for my starting point of lurcher breeding,and for a pup from this litter given in for the service of this terrier,

I would ask to see the sire work people will tell you all types of bollocks to use their dog if it's a good one I'm sure he'll have no problem you seeing it work below, what's the greyhound you gonna use like? Atb

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Don’t seem to see many 1st cross bedlington greyhounds these days....... I remember Gary Hoskers spud.....not sure if it was pure bed x grey and was fence hoppers a 1st cross......looked like a big bedlington.

Heard from more than one source that Spud was not a first cross but the dogs long dead so who should care.

I know if i was gonna breed an F1 cross, i'd be finding a Beddy stud that knows its job underground, if there is such a beast...? 

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Heard from more than one source that Spud was not a first cross but the dogs long dead so who should care.

I know if i was gonna breed an F1 cross, i'd be finding a Beddy stud that knows its job underground, if there is such a beast...? 

they are still out there ,a few good lads keeping them right,seen 1 do over 8 hrs to ground in some of the hardest dirt I've ever shifted...but they will all have a drop of fell terrier in them,and be on the small side for lurcher breeding imo.....

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

they are still out there ,a few good lads keeping them right,seen 1 do over 8 hrs to ground in some of the hardest dirt I've ever shifted...but they will all have a drop of fell terrier in them,and be on the small side for lurcher breeding imo.....

they will be all the better for it. we're the Bedlingtons of old only around 14/15 inches? 

Just now, fred90 said:

they will be all the better for it. we're the Bedlingtons of old only around 14/15 inches? 

I believe the old type were up in the leg...there's an old boy by me got a full beddy dog,told me its kc that's 20 inches maybe bigger I'd say,more like a wheaton,bucket head and the biggest teeth I've seen.on a dog that size.....gassy f****r too....seen it put 1 of them xl  bullies on its back?

could tell after the old boy was buzzing?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1