Bedlington x Greyhound

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I remember the Beddy boom in the 80's, 90's. There were some genuine people around that were not looking for fame or fortune and just trying the breed and work Bedlingtons as proper terriers. I do not know if they or their dogs are still around but it will be a shame if both have gone.

There were others around during that time. The plan seemed to be to buy a pair of Hunter wellies, a Barbour jacket, a Bedlington dog and bitch, and hey presto you were in the working Bedlington Terrier breeding business. The hard work was done during the Summer months at working terrier shows holding court and spinning yarns and taking orders for pups. Those Bedlingtons were KC show bred stuff with different hair cuts.

The males were huge and way too big with strangely thin skins and appallingly open coats.  The bitches the opposite, frail tiny headed things with tiny teeth but also the poor coats.

Despite that I did see some nice lurchers bred from those Bedlingtons when put over racing dogs, scratch dogs, but the ability maybe coming from hybrid vigour and the sheer quality of those "non-pedigree" racing dogs than the Bedlington stud.

were the hunter wellies { red ones } lol irish terriers are the best now anyway ? lol

16 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

A shrew 

Strange animals Shrews. Never known a dog that could follow their scent, seriously, even proven hunting dogs when out on a walk that would hunt anything. And ferrets do not like them. Strange little things.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Never been a problem with any of mine and run some very rough  ground  20161029_123239.jpg.66cf9b34b8ee46e3cda3a551bb713d43.jpg 

my old bitch I lost in the field last march always give me her all ? only thing that let her down was her feet at times ,running over heavy scree didn't help ? dont think you seen my post on beddy/grey x whippets litters ?

11 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

only problem can be the feet depending what sort terrain they hunting on ?

Meet a lad yesterday while out mountain biking that had a whippet collie with him my mates had meet him a couple of times before so him and his little dog tagged along with us, 5 miles of fire road and 10 mile of bare rock boulders and done at a good pace and the little dogs feet were perfect. 

1 minute ago, eastcoast said:

Strange animals Shrews. Never known a dog that could follow their scent, seriously, even proven hunting dogs when out on a walk that would hunt anything. And ferrets do not like them. Strange little things.

dont know about that but she defo caught a little black n white one far to small for a vole field mouse etc and had along pointed nose? she a mole before now to on the top ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, morton said:

as do i,what im saying is the lamp is the salvation of many a lurcher owner and their charge,an owner and dog that will kill more with the assistance of the dazzle than daylight.A mosh with little knowledge or fieldcraft will slaughter more quarry with technology than nous.I rate lurchers that can only catch harder runs in the lamp low,i rate shooters that need technology lower.

did you use the lucas lr9 back mort best light you could get hold of ? I still got one and a lr14 ? lol

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

woodcock dont carry much scent but the dogs flush plenty of them ?

1 minute ago, dytkos said:

They sit close though and flush at the last minute in my experience.

Cheers, D.

dead ones dont but still need picking ? and its my belief the antis spout rubbish about there being a shortage because on our patch there defo aint? and there be scandy reinforcements over on the next moon to top ours up ?

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I remember the Beddy boom in the 80's, 90's. There were some genuine people around that were not looking for fame or fortune and just trying the breed and work Bedlingtons as proper terriers. I do not know if they or their dogs are still around but it will be a shame if both have gone.

There were others around during that time. The plan seemed to be to buy a pair of Hunter wellies, a Barbour jacket, a Bedlington dog and bitch, and hey presto you were in the working Bedlington Terrier breeding business. The hard work was done during the Summer months at working terrier shows holding court and spinning yarns and taking orders for pups. Those Bedlingtons were KC show bred stuff with different hair cuts.

The males were huge and way too big with strangely thin skins and appallingly open coats.  The bitches the opposite, frail tiny headed things with tiny teeth but also the poor coats.

Despite that I did see some nice lurchers bred from those Bedlingtons when put over racing dogs, scratch dogs, but the ability maybe coming from hybrid vigour and the sheer quality of those "non-pedigree" racing dogs than the Bedlington stud.

im sorry didn't read this post proper I was distracted by the hunter and barbour bit and seen {red} lol what a true post and your right about the genuine ones ? they wont be seen on here or any other site but there stuff is still doing it and hunt service that I know because these iv pushed work there way and It wont improve because of the gene pool being so small hence the using of patts and lakeys in the mix ? some beddy coats are total shite anyway long may they keep working there little battlers ,I stick to me lurchers nowadays ?

3 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

dont know about that but she defo caught a little black n white one far to small for a vole field mouse etc and had along pointed nose? she a mole before now to on the top ?

I've never knew a dog stay longer than an hour to a shrew very dangerous 

• Haha 1