Bedlington x Greyhound

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, darbo said:

For me all the bedlington lurchers ive seen had natural hunting up ability and one of the best noses in the game. Marking was like second nature to them.

darbo my bitch very often flushes birds on the shoot what spaniels and labs have walked over ? Bedlington terriers noses are up there with the best ?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

darbo my bitch very often flushes birds on the shoot what spaniels and labs have walked over ? Bedlington terriers noses are up there with the best ?

Without doubt my old beddy back in the day missed nothing and never told lies when ferreting. A real strong point of the breed.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

this little dog has a great nose. she gives a very strong mark, has found pheasant nests a Robins nest. nests of field mice and rabbit stops with young kits in. Bedlington noses are up there with the best. 

Screenshot_20191006_080318_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 3
17 hours ago, two crows said:

the problem lurcher breeders have is that the dog that gives the desirable traits is the base type, so first cross goes to grey hound good traits diluted, first cross goes to base breed, loss of speed, so without adding another lurcher its harder to create a perfect type without compromising a generation here and there, with coursing dogs saluki can catch a hare in pure form, so first cross gets coursing brain and endurance from saluki bit more pace from greyhound, but in the beginning of the coursing dogs development it was not all about first crosses, lads were adding saluki blood to existing lurcher/longdog  types to improve coursing ability, and it is this thinking that has created what we have and we don't need greyhound any more to me it is detrimental, a outcross to saluki now and then seems to produce good dogs.

The same should apply to jukels going back ta base will improve and does not compromise speed to that extent it will only improve a type and keep all the good traits fixed in a type.atb bill

2 minutes ago, billhardy said:

The same should apply to jukels going back ta base will improve and does not compromise speed to that extent it will only improve a type and keep all the good traits fixed in a type.atb bill

interesting bill so adding say beddy or collie to an existing lurcher wont affect speed to much, I would think the opposite, but I have no experience of base lurchers, my point was that with saluki long dogs no generation is ever compromised even when thinking ahead to your next move.

17 hours ago, two crows said:

the problem lurcher breeders have is that the dog that gives the desirable traits is the base type, so first cross goes to grey hound good traits diluted, first cross goes to base breed, loss of speed, so without adding another lurcher its harder to create a perfect type without compromising a generation here and there, with coursing dogs saluki can catch a hare in pure form, so first cross gets coursing brain and endurance from saluki bit more pace from greyhound, but in the beginning of the coursing dogs development it was not all about first crosses, lads were adding saluki blood to existing lurcher/longdog  types to improve coursing ability, and it is this thinking that has created what we have and we don't need greyhound any more to me it is detrimental, a outcross to saluki now and then seems to produce good dogs.

just to add to this, my first stuff came from a beddy lurcher bitch to a saluki dog, and I still believe the beddy lurcher ones produced the best hare killers back then.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, two crows said:

just to add to this, my first stuff came from a beddy lurcher bitch to a saluki dog, and I still believe the beddy lurcher ones produced the best hare killers back then.

I know they did  but not just beddy there's was a lump of Norfolk type lurcher in em as well herding blood mixed in atb bill

1 hour ago, two crows said:

interesting bill so adding say beddy or collie to an existing lurcher wont affect speed to much, I would think the opposite, but I have no experience of base lurchers, my point was that with saluki long dogs no generation is ever compromised even when thinking ahead to your next move.

Speed won't be affected to any degree when using fast type line bred or generation lurchers  breeding from a fast lurcher type gives jukels equally has fast has f1 base type jukels. A fast aggressive type coursing hound from fast lines will give e very thing a greyhou d can plus lots more this his how I see it I had e ty f1 type jukels  and it do t all ways mean they gonna be faster or quicker. The beauty of the lur her hou nd or lurcher base blood his the natural ability and of course there bred ta catch not just course. Atb bill

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, billhardy said:

I know they did  but not just beddy there's was a lump of Norfolk type lurcher in em as well herding blood mixed in atb bill

my ones never had Norfolk in, but allsorts has gone into the general melting pot along the way, but mostly I might add to improve the allsorts not the coursing stuff, lol.

16 minutes ago, two crows said:

my ones never had Norfolk in, but allsorts has gone into the general melting pot along the way, but mostly I might add to improve the allsorts not the coursing stuff, lol.

Two crows do you really believe they was just beddy xs greyhounds ta Salukis  don't think so if this was the case they all could pretty much be replicated lol .burrells ,I aye saying a fast saluki blooded hound don't add good qualities because I believ a drop in a jukel don't go amiss we had the Norfolk mixed beddie blood.  Back when it all began some still do .atb bill