Bedlington x Greyhound

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I'll tell you why Troyboy, because for me, i'd expect a Beddy cross to be able to take more than just rabbits and i'd better my chances of that by using an earth dog.

The Bedlington of old, if history is correct, was a hard dog and used by the Fell Packs to produce terriers capable of killing foxes underground.

If its just about size, then one of those 18" poodle things are the job for you but for me, if it had to be a Beddy cross, then i'd be willing to sacrifice an inch or two and always go for a stud thats true to type and working foxes below ground.

there is not many men that would sacrifice an inch or two! a bit of fell outcross wouldn't put me off a dog either. 

• Haha 3

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I prefer to see things, with my own eyes,...and then, come to a conclusion...I believe it is always the fairest way..?.

Good sensible comments lads... I know for a fact, that certain coursing Studs can command a high price for their services, and any resulting pups will not be sold cheap. Obviously, when a br

Aggression is often confused with gameness imo. I've seen plenty of gassy aggressive dogs' arse fall out when things get real.  

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I'll tell you why Troyboy, because for me, i'd expect a Beddy cross to be able to take more than just rabbits and i'd better my chances of that by using an earth dog.

The Bedlington of old, if history is correct, was a hard dog and used by the Fell Packs to produce terriers capable of killing foxes underground.

If its just about size, then one of those 18" poodle things are the job for you but for me, if it had to be a Beddy cross, then i'd be willing to sacrifice an inch or two and always go for a stud thats true to type and working foxes below ground.

I'd go for digging beddy type 1/8 fell an if needed size go for big 28 tts plus greyhound bitch ?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

They don't have to go to ground to be hard dogs

Any terrier that’s afraid of the dark ceases to be a terrier in the proper meaning of the word imo. Any half hearted terrier can look the business above the sod but its when the lights go out that you find out what you have. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 5

The starting point to any lurcher is the greyhound,weather it be track or field,the only reason I like a greyhound bitch that has been banned off the track for fighting is which I think adds a little gameness to the greyhound in question,i have seen plenty of greyhounds that had plenty of speed,could pick up rabbits day or night in any situation but when they tried to tackle anything that had teeth it was a different story,whether they were single handed or doubled up.

As for the terrier that your going to use for your greyhound to get your lurchers,[and my choice will be the Bedlington terrier],it will have to be a worker above and below grond,most terriers will work above ground,but all we have here for them to work is rabbit or fox.so to find a good terrier that[as a chap on he states]when the lights go out than you see how game the terrier is to crawl up a hole in complete darkness and face a set of jaws,and be not afraid to do battle or even kill if he gets a chance,

So by crossing these both dogs I think you should get some decent lurchers from this breeding,the greyhound bitch I am getting is a fighting bitch that's banned from the track,and the Bedlington terrier I intend to use [if all goes well]is a good hard working dog above and below,i am in the process of getting to see this terrier at work so when it happens I will post a picture or two and then you all can give your opinions on them.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Dbod said:

The starting point to any lurcher is the greyhound,weather it be track or field,the only reason I like a greyhound bitch that has been banned off the track for fighting is which I think adds a little gameness to the greyhound in question,i have seen plenty of greyhounds that had plenty of speed,could pick up rabbits day or night in any situation but when they tried to tackle anything that had teeth it was a different story,whether they were single handed or doubled up.

As for the terrier that your going to use for your greyhound to get your lurchers,[and my choice will be the Bedlington terrier],it will have to be a worker above and below grond,most terriers will work above ground,but all we have here for them to work is rabbit or fox.so to find a good terrier that[as a chap on he states]when the lights go out than you see how game the terrier is to crawl up a hole in complete darkness and face a set of jaws,and be not afraid to do battle or even kill if he gets a chance,

So by crossing these both dogs I think you should get some decent lurchers from this breeding,the greyhound bitch I am getting is a fighting bitch that's banned from the track,and the Bedlington terrier I intend to use [if all goes well]is a good hard working dog above and below,i am in the process of getting to see this terrier at work so when it happens I will post a picture or two and then you all can give your opinions on them.

wish you all the best in your quest mate. would not be my choice of bitch, all fighters I have seen have been prone to other problems as said I would avoid. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Dbod said:

All the best fella hope the breeding breeds 1 or 2 good uns that do the job in hand 

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, if a track bitch was a fighter or not, as it can simply be the slightest quirk of fate that can cause a greyhound to scrap on the track BUT once they've had a pop their limited brain seems to think thats what they should do everytime out, sort of part of the performance, the adrenalin rush so to speak... It dont make em any better or worse catching gear...

iId be more interested in its breeding, constitution and performance...

Totaly see where your coming from in your choice Dbod but as has been said, it dont always work out that way...

9 hours ago, Dbod said:

Just my take on it you will get enough fire in the belly so to speak of the beddy provided you use a proven worker ./stud fighting doesn't add gameness pm maxhardcore on here have a chat with him he has some very good greyhounds and knows his stuff (just don't mention Sunderland or tyson fury ) he maybe able to sort a decent well bred bitch out but good luck in your quest 

• Like 1

The secret to this cross is without doubt the quality of the Bedlington used.

If the dog you are talking about is a genuine rillington bred dog then you could be onto a winner.

My mate bred a litter out of newcombes blue when George was still alive and every dog out of the litter were exceptional workers taking all quarry and my mates was also highly trained.

Lads who got pups out of this litter were coming back for years to try and get another.

In respect to your comments about the greyhound my major concern would be the line of breeding of the greyhound in respect to soundness and lack of long term injuries within that line of breeding not just the dog you are using.

A friend much more knowledgeable than me about greyhounds only ever uses a certain line of greyhounds for breeding lurchers in respect to throwing dogs which are sound.

His words the line is tough as old boots.

Your comments about it being a fighter so throwing a gamer dog are irrelevant if the Bedlington is genuine rillington  bred dog the pups will be game.

Neil Beacon is the only person who I have come across who had genuine rillington Bedlington's they were a superb stamp of Bedlington with my mate having a dog out of his breeding.

It has been a good rabbiting dog with it being the best constructed and coated genuine first cross I have ever seen.

I have seen a lot of talk on here about rillington bedlingtons but nobody seems to know where they went when George Died.

In respect to size of genuine first cross bedlingtons 22 inch seems to be about standard for the ones I have had and also my mates.

Even the dog he had out of newcombes blue which was tall for a Bedlington was only 22 inch his one of Neil Beacon was 22 inch one from hearbreak fell  kennels he had was 22 inch one I had from heartbreak fell kennels was 22 inch and my current dog bread out of a Gutchcommon bred dog with genuine pedigree is 22 inch all dogs. 

My current dog is an excellent rabbiting dog and both dogs have been superb dogs to live with but not as good a coat as the Neil Bacon dog.

The marking and scenting of my current dog is excellent with dozens and dozens of rabbits have gone  into the bag due to this. Some of the lines and takes he has done across the moor we ferret on unseen rabbits amazes me. Also we ferret some massive sets and when you think it is cleared and you turn round and see him marking single holes which deliver more to the bag happens every time out.

I don't work any other quarry but a litter brother to mine took all quarry with a lad in the north east again only 22 inch.

If the breeding of the Bedlington can be verified you will be inundated with pup request there has been loads of people on here looking for genuine first cross Belington Greyhounds year after year with no success as the Bedlington gene pool is so small today unfortunately.

So many litters advertised when you look deeper into them are not genuine first cross and I would question anything that was over 23 inch as being first cross.

Good luck with this and I look forward to seeing your pictures of the Bedlington.

ALTB Martin.

• Like 8