Walking pups

19 minutes ago, poxon said:

How much is to much it’s a question always in my head as it’s a easy thing to over do being keen to be out an about with the dogs having the pup/pups tag along to kill two birds with one stone an all that 

When u feel knackered turn round

• Like 1

depends on what time of yr it is to me.....winter time I like to get lurcher pups out free running with my old dogs ,checking earths and around a hole while I run a terrier through...if I'm local then I've got probably 25/30 earths within 5 miles radius that I will walk too,sheep pasture,common land bordering forestry blocks, quite hilly?if it's summertime I stick to along the river and forestry blocks ,river walk is 10 miles,4/5 miles up in the woods....there's not alot of rabbits and no deer local only stuff to be dug, so don't need to worry about pup flying off in to the distance if something gets up?I got to travel few miles for rabbits to get a dog started,lucky my mates have plenty on their permission down south.i think personally it comes down to common sense?if your grounds crawling with gear and the grounds like bell iron,then little short walks are the way to go imo.....as the dog grows and learns to use its legs gently step it up?I always carry some water and glucose and few bits and bobs when I got young dogs out.atb

• Like 2

With my pup I don’t do all that much distance to be fair I’m growing her on a bit first.Iwalk her round a couple of fields if it’s her on her own (bretty decent size fields round here)then get her back home I don’t have her off the lead when I’m out with the other bitch as the other bitch finds stuff pretty regular if it’s there she’ll find it an I don’t want the pup thinking she should run gear yet I don’t also have the pup of the lead when the older bitch as a rule as I’m not a fan of watching really young pups chasing after older dogs as they push there selfs trying to catch them I mean surly this game is not to different from running a dog/pup on live quarry it’s the same amount of pressure on joints/muscles heart/lungs just my way of thinking probably not right though but i think it’s a way of playing it safe for now though. The reason I asked is I see people with pups they look like they trek miles will pups from pictures posted it’s all curiosity really 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, poxon said:

With my pup I don’t do all that much distance to be fair I’m growing her on a bit first.Iwalk her round a couple of fields if it’s her on her own (bretty decent size fields round here)then get her back home I don’t have her off the lead when I’m out with the other bitch as the other bitch finds stuff pretty regular if it’s there she’ll find it an I don’t want the pup thinking she should run gear yet I don’t also have the pup of the lead when the older bitch as a rule as I’m not a fan of watching really young pups chasing after older dogs as they push there selfs trying to catch them I mean surly this game is not to different from running a dog/pup on live quarry it’s the same amount of pressure on joints/muscles heart/lungs just my way of thinking probably not right though but i think it’s a way of playing it safe for now though. The reason I asked is I see people with pups they look like they trek miles will pups from pictures posted it’s all curiosity really 

well , i had my big dog out from 10 weeks old  day / night . i just let him tag along at his own pace, it worked out well i think, he learned his field craft , before he was 6 months old  , which i think is a must with a lurcher. people hold pups back to long ,  they  wait till they think it could catch a rabbit, ans slip it, it that  when they can hurt there selves or give the odd yip. Both my dogs caught early, mine are 1xs it clicked with them, but even if i had a lurcher x lurcher type dog and bit more running dog , i still do the same with that .!

• Like 1