A smile on both our faces ?

At a bit of a loose end I thought I’d introduce a young lad from the pheasant shoot to the world of rifle shooting, so this been his first time shooting rifles I went over to his house to run through the do’s and don’ts before we headed off out, the rifle of choice was the.17hmr, as we arrived at our destination we were straight at the rabbits ,  the first two shots were clean missed so a little advice in the form of breath and it’s not the end of the world if you miss did the trick and the next shot was a good 75 yards and dropped on the spot, we then had a walk around the grass fields where he dropped another 4 out of the 5 he took a shot at, so it didn’t take him long at all to get the hang of it, so off home with one very happy young lad and after dropping him off I received a lovely message from his dad thanking me for taking him out that was really appreciated, he did mention fox shooting but there’s plenty of time for that ?

834C7800-7713-42AC-9FA0-81B7E4B95D14.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Cheers lads, I have no problem taking lads out like him, he is by no means new to shooting as he’s a full member of our pheasant shoot, it’s nice to give him the opportunity to try something different and that he’s interested in all of it, not just pulling the trigger like some I’ve taken out in the past 

9 hours ago, David.evans said:

Nothing but respect stav 

great to see young lads taking a interest , but most all some one showing the way forward ?

atb mate 

Cheers Dave, I get just as much out of it as the lad, I love been able to give people the opportunity to do something they would otherwise not get the chance to do ?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Alsone said:

Well done stav.

On the subject of the future of shooting, be aware of the proposed changes to licensing - the BASC are asking for people to respond. Head over to their website.

What they up to now, stopping kids enjoying legit shooting?

The government needs to set up a knife proficiency course for kids today not stop them from enjoying shooting!

• Like 1

Apparently the police are going to interview your neighbours about your suitability, fine if you get on with them or don't have antis next door. Medical info's going to be much tougher and compulsory charged without limits etc.

Easiest to read here:

https://basc.org.uk/firearmsconsultation/

Personally, I'm all for rules that all forces have to adhere to. Beyond that though, everything else is a joke.

• 2 months later...

So every time I see my little mate from the shoot he asks me if I have had any foxes and next time I’m out can he come, now he’s been out a few times now on the rabbits and his shooting has got better and better,  so I’m thinking maybe it’s time to give him a go at a ginger, now I don’t want him to think this is an easy thing but on the other hand I didn’t want to turn up somewhere not knowing if there’s any chance of getting a shot off, so over the past couple of weeks I’ve had the camera out on some local fields, I’ve had bait out and had nothing for the first week, then Charlie showed up, it has regularly been taking bait over the past 10 days, first off around 3am but is now coming between 11 and 12, I showed dedication in encouraging this young lad by going out in the rain last night to bait up with 2 breasted out pheasants where I found the batteries had ran out in the camera, so I brought it away with me and charged them, back down tonight in the pouring rain  to bait up with a rabbit and put the camera back out, the fox must of sat there eating the pheasants, I’m off to feed up at the pheasant shoot in the morning so I’ll pop in and check the camera on my way back, fingers crossed it will be coming in a little earlier and weather permitting we can have a go next Friday before we go pheasant shooting on the Saturday 

84CCE029-844F-4291-B721-0A3E1097DD9F.jpeg

45C3CAF9-910C-430C-848D-8A8956FCA437.jpeg

4B871CFF-399E-4986-A0C6-EE4D1C6C38DE.jpeg

• Like 1

Cheers lads, when I was a few years older than him I was what you might call a bit of a wrong-un, I always remember when my mam and dad went to the school and a teacher telling them that I didn’t hang around with the wrong crowd, I was the wrong crowd, then someone took me out with the dogs, then fishing and then shooting and that was it, that was all I wanted to do, if them couple of lads hadn’t done that for me who knows where I would of ended up, some of the nicest most genuine people I know are all part of our shooting community and this lads definitely on the right track to become one of them people ?

• Like 4