Kibble

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The feeding of lurchers has become really complicated...? I don't keep, performance dogs or racers and coursers,..just hedgerow mouchers.  So,..I've always subscribed to the notion, that a l

Autarky salmon and r.a.w. They scoff anything back anytime. They love tripe and sheep heads.

These topics remind me of veggies they rave on about not needing to eat meat then have to take supplements because they don't eat it ?

Posted Images

On 07/09/2019 at 18:58, prefabs said:

Does anyone use one of the fish based complete foods and what are there thoughts on them 

No but I feed lots of fish. Heads, frames and trimmings mainly. Should be able to get Salmon and Trout for nish or next to if your lucky and search about a bit.

Obviously a raw diet if done correctly is the best for the dog. But kibble is much more convenient and sometimes we don't have the choice. If you're going to use kibble read the ingredients on the packet (normally the ingredients are in order of quantity most to least). If one of the main ingredients is corn, corn starch and other things a dog shouldnt really be eating then avoid it. The best results i've had from a kibble has been with premium britcare salmon...it's gone up a fair bit in price where I live though. 

Also be careful mixing kibble and meat. Try to give them separately if you do end up mixing...e.g meat in the morning and kibble at night as they dont digest at the same speed and can cause problems.

An intermediate could be good quality canned food as it is normally less processed so i'd assume less nutrients are lost.

57 minutes ago, callum104 said:

Obviously a raw diet if done correctly is the best for the dog. But kibble is much more convenient and sometimes we don't have the choice. If you're going to use kibble read the ingredients on the packet (normally the ingredients are in order of quantity most to least). If one of the main ingredients is corn, corn starch and other things a dog shouldnt really be eating then avoid it. The best results i've had from a kibble has been with premium britcare salmon...it's gone up a fair bit in price where I live though. 

Also be careful mixing kibble and meat. Try to give them separately if you do end up mixing...e.g meat in the morning and kibble at night as they dont digest at the same speed and can cause problems.

An intermediate could be good quality canned food as it is normally less processed so i'd assume less nutrients are lost.

Re being careful bout feeding meat & kibble at same time. I eat meat & veg at same time & sometimes pudding straight after which I presume will all digest at different rates so why cant dogs??? Genuine question. Atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dinosaurs said:

Re being careful bout feeding meat & kibble at same time. I eat meat & veg at same time & sometimes pudding straight after which I presume will all digest at different rates so why cant dogs??? Genuine question. Atb

They can, I think it’s just people going over the top a bit 

• Like 3

A shepherd /farmer i know feeds his collie on Wagg worker & dog looks in great nick & works 7 days a week. He just cuts bag open & dog eats what it wants when it wants. Also landowner/ farmer on my main perm only feeds his flatcoat retrievers on skinners working food & they also in great condition & graft through shooting season.Dry food come a long wayin recent years. Atb

• Like 1

If a dog is worked with to much food in its system it can get gastric torsion ( bloat ) also dogs are not grazers and their digestive system is made to break their natural foods down quickly and utilise it throughout their bodies repairing worked muscles etc ......

• Like 1

I haven't run lurchers in a long time however I do run English Pointers now and I can offer this advice on brands and kibble;

Kronch - cold pressed salmon based kibble. The best I've used but once I expanded my kennel I was using two bags a week and couldn't justify it at £45 a bag. I would rear all my pups on the Optimal/ puppy kibble however.

Chudleys- working crunch/ classic/ performance/ salmon

I used chudleys in its various forms for three years its good but the dogs don't always find it palatable which makes feeding them a 'mare. 

Beta maintenance- rubbish, my pointers lost muscle definition and condition almost straight away. 

Dr Johns - someone put me onto this, it has the right mix of being extremely palatable to the dogs and the cost is pretty good. The seem to be holding condition very well so far. 

we soak all food here to stop bloat etc 

I supplement with sardines, dinner waste, veg, pasta just to keep it all interesting. 

I used to feed nothing but raw but when I'm away from home for periods in Scotland etc its easy to carry kibble then raw but I concur that my dogs always did well on it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

Dry food come a long wayin recent years

That's true and you seem to see longer lifespans in all dogs these days due to better nutrition.I remember 50 years ago most pet dogs got a tin of dog food, which was gravy with a few meatball type things in it.I don't think they thrived.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, callum104 said:

I’ve always fed meat and kibble at the same and never had any problems my dogs are always fed 4-6 hours before being worked of a night never had any problems. I’ve found it’s the only way to get a sufficient amount of kibble in them once I introduce minced meat as they will leave kibble for a meat preference. When it’s mixed together they wolf the kibble down with the meat.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I’ve always fed meat and kibble at the same and never had any problems my dogs are always fed 4-6 hours before being worked of a night never had any problems. I’ve found it’s the only way to get a sufficient amount of kibble in them once I introduce minced meat as they will leave kibble for a meat preference. When it’s mixed together they wolf the kibble down with the meat.

I've never heard of anyone feeding this way have problems, is this again one of the tales passed down so must be true??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1