Pre Season

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs have been getting trotted about 25 mile a week for the last month or so getting them tightened up ready for the season, just waiting for the ground to get softened up a bit now and its full steam

We are ready. 

Yes I have to admit it gives me ‘an enormous sense of well being” driving up to Dartmoor at first light walking round watching rabbits disappear time and time again  ,driving back and feeding the dog

Posted Images

Most greyhound trainers feed meat and meal as 1 on large scale think if any problems something would flagged up always soaked meal and bread added meat pasta veg never no problem s. Everyone different so is every dog what works for 1 don’t work for other had greyhound bitch fed any kind meat lost her form badly so biscuit only.

• Like 2

Currently I mix bag of Purina Beta puppy with a bag of Chappie as the base feed, add lamb ribs/cages couple of times a week through the summer and game through the winter plus table scraps daily and bobs your uncle.

I’ve recently tried some Alfa, 25% junior/active dog and it seemed decent so may change to this as the pup is 12 months now.

Ps, A dog’s digestion tailors the time, acidity and enzymes released to deal with what it has eaten, there is so no need to worry about mixing ingredients.

IMG_20190826_154409.jpg.63a9e62e45483b8d45d0f0e6b6dd8839.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Currently I mix bag of Purina Beta puppy with a bag of Chappie as the base feed, add lamb ribs/cages couple of times a week through the summer and game through the winter plus table scraps daily and bobs your uncle.

I’ve recently tried some Alfa, 25% junior/active dog and it seemed decent so may change to this as the pup is 12 months now.

Ps, A dog’s digestion tailors the time, acidity and enzymes released to deal with what it has eaten, there is so no need to worry about mixing ingredients.

Pup looks in great condition.

I used to feed 50/50 I’d done so for years never had no problem doing so it was always the cheapest raw I could get my hands on plenty of rabbit an road kill deer dogs were always fit an healthy to do the job but that was when I was low payed An struggling to make ends meet not a lot as changed bar I’m comfortable now money wise I feed 75% raw an 25% biscuit as it suits me an the dogs this is my pups breakfast 

D37BB395-AA5F-4E2B-AB8E-0C4AF9B3D3BF.jpeg

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, poxon said:

I used to feed 50/50 I’d done so for years never had no problem doing so it was always the cheapest raw I could get my hands on plenty of rabbit an road kill deer dogs were always fit an healthy to do the job but that was when I was low payed An struggling to make ends meet not a lot as changed bar I’m comfortable now money wise I feed 75% raw an 25% biscuit as it suits me an the dogs this is my pups breakfast 

D37BB395-AA5F-4E2B-AB8E-0C4AF9B3D3BF.jpeg

Are u having the same d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of table scraps,what's everyone's opinion on giving them cooked meat with bones in small amounts? I know it's supposed to be a no no and I rarely do but our dogs growing up got anything, including the chicken carcass from the family roast, if we could afford one, sometimes it was just mince?. They always seemed to thrive on whatever they got. Dogs must have survived on cooked bones since they were domesticated surely? I did give mine a fair bit of venison bone left over from a camp fire cook up recently and he did have a couple of very hard stools so moderation may be the key?

20 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

Speaking of table scraps,what's everyone's opinion on giving them cooked meat with bones in small amounts? I know it's supposed to be a no no and I rarely do but our dogs growing up got anything, including the chicken carcass from the family roast, if we could afford one, sometimes it was just mince?. They always seemed to thrive on whatever they got. Dogs must have survived on cooked bones since they were domesticated surely? I did give mine a fair bit of venison bone left over from a camp fire cook up recently and he did have a couple of very hard stools so moderation may be the key?

Never give mine cooked bone but nothing is waisted in our house scraps go to the dogs cooked chicken carcasses get boiled bones removed then the stock gets given to the dogs 

• Like 2

too much chicken carcasses and bone are not good for a dog in my experience .....had to f**k about with 2 different dogs ....draining the glands?i give salmon oil ,cod liver oil and feed a fair bit of oily fish these days....not had the problem since?

remember when I was around 10,my old duck fed 1 of my dad Russell's a cooked bone from a pork chop?dog went to the vets after it had became embedded in the wall of the stomach.....old man was not happy.....come to think of it.....few months down the road they split up?

for that reason I've never fed cooked bones?

• Like 1

I try to keep mine in decent nick right through the summer. My busher keeps the lurcher on its toes, every walk turns into a hunt. Long bike rides a couple of times a week and as soon as the fields come down around my house, the thrower comes out and they both are retrieve crazy. Like a bit of retrieving down at the lake too. Though nothing gets em as fit as real graft, i've got mine at a decent level to make a start.

As for grub, just Lidl complete with either chicken carcasses (always got a freezer full), mackrel (whole) tinned sardines and loads of fresh eggs from my neighbour AND kitchen scraps. I've always fed kitchen scraps and always will. I make sure that what is given will enhance their diet and not be detrimental... My Sunday roast chicken carcass stripping is legendary, a Bombay Shitehawk would leave more on than me..! ?

20190901_190753.jpg