Pre Season

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs have been getting trotted about 25 mile a week for the last month or so getting them tightened up ready for the season, just waiting for the ground to get softened up a bit now and its full steam

We are ready. 

Yes I have to admit it gives me ‘an enormous sense of well being” driving up to Dartmoor at first light walking round watching rabbits disappear time and time again  ,driving back and feeding the dog

Posted Images

Its the same as the veggies saying humans don't need to eat meat but they have to supplement their diet because they don't.

There would be no need for supplements in a barf diet if it was the one answer.

AniForte BARF Complete Supplement is a 100% natural supplement specifically developed for dogs on raw feed diets. It is a natural source of minerals and essential nutrients and it ensures that your pet is on a sustainable and balanced BARF diet.

produktbild_1000ml_Dose_barf-complete_500g_1200x1200px_72dpi@2x.jpg

4 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Its the same as the veggies saying humans don't need to eat meat but they have to supplement their diet because they don't.

There would be no need for supplements in a barf diet if it was the one answer.

AniForte BARF Complete Supplement is a 100% natural supplement specifically developed for dogs on raw feed diets. It is a natural source of minerals and essential nutrients and it ensures that your pet is on a sustainable and balanced BARF diet.

produktbild_1000ml_Dose_barf-complete_500g_1200x1200px_72dpi@2x.jpg

I feed both meat and biscuit mixed together and I got something like the above and bottles of salmon oil just so it looks like I know what I'm on wi the meat is chicken backs tripe beef and lamb all minced 

Ffs now I've gorra get some fecking trout or I wont sleep 

• Haha 3
19 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

You don't. If they're getting muscle meat, offal and bone it's all they need. That scran in your pic looks spot on. 

It keeps them weighty and their coats shiny, they can also put a full shift in without losing condition on it so the balance is right enough for my needs in a lurcher.

Those chicken bits are so easy to feed to the dogs, I buy a few boxes in and bag-up a few in separate freezer bags.:clapper:

Unfortunately, whereas, once upon a time, tripes, lamb ribs and chicken carcases were ridiculously cheap, nowadays, ( unless you have a contact), the raw feeding option, needs a wee bit more planning. It's crazy, but when I trained as a youth, I also smoked like a factory chimney, yet, I still got by...and when I was running a team of lurchers, on the lamp, all along the South coast, frequently every night, two weeks on, one week off, my dogs all caught good numbers of rabbits, on a regular basis, and all on a big feck-off bowl, of Vitalin! 

Makes yer wonder, doesn't it...?

img Scans236.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Balaur said:

It's a market, and I've seen dogs exist on corn flour abroad, think it all goes a bit extreme, fair play to lads that hunt 5 days a week and do all nighters regular but that's a minority. Mine do okay but plenty of biscuit as I work away a lot and it's convenient, but they get rice pasta bread scraps and meat etc. Just about giving them a decent diet so we can get the best out of them...

I think you're right there mate. The last say 10 years, it's all getting a more than a bit anal. Kin el, years ago our dogs were lucky to get a tin of chappie everyday, and there'd be NO table scraps, .......... COS THERE WEREN'T ANY!!! We HAD to eat what was on our plates, no ifs, ands, or buts ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Those chicken bits are so easy to feed to the dogs, I buy a few boxes in and bag-up a few in separate freezer bags.:clapper:

Unfortunately, whereas, once upon a time, tripes, lamb ribs and chicken carcases were ridiculously cheap, nowadays, ( unless you have a contact), the raw feeding option, needs a wee bit more planning. It's crazy, but when I trained as a youth, I also smoked like a factory chimney, yet, I still got by...and when I was running a team of lurchers, on the lamp, all along the South coast, frequently every night, two weeks on, one week off, my dogs all caught good numbers of rabbits, on a regular basis, and all on a big feck-off bowl, of Vitalin! 

Makes yer wonder, doesn't it...?

img Scans236.jpg

I raced a string of greyhounds and worked a couple of lurchers on vitalin and fish waste in the 80s, they did well on it. Pretty much all improved their times from their previous kennels. 

post-2025-0-26675100-1502096942_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1248725278.jpgpost-2025-0-57106300-1357823133.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2

I’ve talked to a few farmers over the years who have working collies about the farm and not one of them feed BARF. They simply don’t have the time or inclination to mess about feeding that way when a few scoops out of a bag will suffice, and these dogs cover a lot of ground during a day and manage. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I raced a string of greyhounds and a couple of lurchers on vitalin and fish waste in the 80s, they did well on it. Pretty much all improved their times from their previous kennels. 

post-2025-0-26675100-1502096942_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1248725278.jpgpost-2025-0-57106300-1357823133.jpg

Vitalin lol, I remember one of my mates feeding that to his dogs when it first came out. He didn't stick with it for too long though. To be fair the dogs looked ok on it, but my god, their shit was all over the place, and it had one of the most rancid odours I can remember lol.  Think it was about £4 a bag lol

5 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I’ve talked to a few farmers over the years who have working collies about the farm and not one of them feed BARF. They simply don’t have the time or inclination to mess about feeding that way when a few scoops out of a bag will suffice, and these dogs cover a lot of ground during a day and manage. 

You know what mate, even though I've gone the whole distance regarding feeding the dogs, I do sometimes think it's all in our heads, and we tend to believe in all the scientific waffle. 'Working dogs' need 19.35% of feed per pound of bodyweight, or whatever these scientific number crunchers come up with etc, and we feel as though we're not giving our dogs the care and good nutrition they deserve if we don't strictly follow all the 'science' lol. Madness ?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You know what mate, even though I've gone the whole distance regarding feeding the dogs, I do sometimes think it's all in our heads, and we tend to believe in all the scientific waffle. 'Working dogs' need 19.35% of feed per pound of bodyweight, or whatever these scientific number crunchers come up with etc, and we feel as though we're not giving our dogs the care and good nutrition they deserve if we don't strictly follow all the 'science' lol. Madness ?

The more I think about It, it is more about how we feel than the dogs do imo. I switched to raw and guess what he’s still average to useless, it’s just easier picking his shit up. 

• Haha 2