Pre Season

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs have been getting trotted about 25 mile a week for the last month or so getting them tightened up ready for the season, just waiting for the ground to get softened up a bit now and its full steam

We are ready. 

Yes I have to admit it gives me ‘an enormous sense of well being” driving up to Dartmoor at first light walking round watching rabbits disappear time and time again  ,driving back and feeding the dog

Posted Images

How do people get on feeding ox heart ? Sometimes struggle to get fatty beef cuts so buy this instead never had no problems with it but feeding plenty of everything. 

I usually dont bother with the mince heard minced tripe is bleached and cooked anyway.

I feed dry and raw dry In the summer with the odd bones and chicken thighs and a mixture in the winter gain record breaker one day and beef and lamb mince And bones or a rabbit the next with fat added to it it works for me was always told not to mix the 2 together as raw and dried food digest at different speeds I keep them pretty fit all year round I start increasing the fitness in early August 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Black neck said:

Young upstart I've told joe my age and enquired as 2 his as yet I've no reply so I'll bid u good day sir

49 years young this year mate, I must of missed when you asked.

3 hours ago, C.green said:

How do people get on feeding ox heart ? Sometimes struggle to get fatty beef cuts so buy this instead never had no problems with it but feeding plenty of everything. 

I usually dont bother with the mince heard minced tripe is bleached and cooked anyway.

Any heart is rich, fresh green tripe minced or cut in pieces is the way to go if you want to use tripe. Either mixed with other stuff in a mixed complete diet can have their place IMO

Edited by joe ox

I’ve been told that as well at the raw feed place not give raw and dry meal together...anyone had a problem doing this? Give raw morning and night to the pup but like to leave him dry meal during the day for him to graze on while I’m at work. 

14 minutes ago, gaza said:

I’ve been told that as well at the raw feed place not give raw and dry meal together...anyone had a problem doing this? Give raw morning and night to the pup but like to leave him dry meal during the day for him to graze on while I’m at work. 

I have never had a problem mixing but can only speak for myself, I have heard it said a few times the usual back up is saying foods digest at different rates, just an excuse to promote either or probably. By feeding both in the same day your already mixing anyway are you having any problems?

No he’s fine mate  maybe shitting more now I’m feeding both but not sloppy. Definitely more weight on his back but never had a rough coated pup so harder to tell by eye because he’s so rough.  Yeah when they told me that i thought it was to sell me more of the raw and stop the kibble. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, joe ox said:

I have never had a problem mixing but can only speak for myself, I have heard it said a few times the usual back up is saying foods digest at different rates, just an excuse to promote either or probably. By feeding both in the same day your already mixing anyway are you having any problems?

I think half the stuff said on the net as gospel and a fact is just bullshit thats been passed down and taken as a fact then 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, gaza said:

I do the same with my pup mate. Raw in mornings and night. Kibble in the day. She seems fine with it. People can’t half get hung up on this Barf feeding. Some are lucky and can get their hands on all sorts. Some can only get scraps from the butchers. When I think back to what our dogs had when I was younger it makes me think. They had kibble and scraps and had no problems at all. You just have to do the best you can. If it’s mix kibble and some raw and the dogs are working and looking in good condition then there’s no problem. 

• Like 3

Personally I have fed both Kibble and meat and now just meat/greens with added extras, I have seen no difference in conditioning or in workwise, the only difference is on meat the coats seem a lot thicker and more solid/weighty animal to pick up if that makes sense, ? this is just my view 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Big Ron said:

I think half the stuff said on the net as gospel and a fact is just bullshit thats been passed down and taken as a fact then 

Cant beat experience and knowledge gained threw doing it, how's the midget keeping? never spoke to him in a good while.

Just now, joe ox said:

Cant beat experience and knowledge gained threw doing it, how's the midget keeping? never spoke to him in a good while.

He's got a new dog now from Wendy back to 1/2, back out most nights and enjoying it again. 

• Like 1
Just now, Big Ron said:

He's got a new dog now from Wendy back to 1/2, back out most nights and enjoying it again. 

Good to hear he seemed to loss interest for a while, knowledgeable bloke gained threw experience, always enjoyed a bit craic and listening to him.

• Like 1