Well and truly bitten by the bug …

All right lads bit of a random post really but as the title says, been completely bitten by the dog bug!

after growing up around my uncles lurchers and terriers as a kid and having many days and nights entertainment off the dogs, I got my own first running dog pup back in may ( only a little whippet bitch, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m rather fond of them, and it suited what I was after for predominantly rabbits).

really enjoyed bringing the pup on and so far she’s coming on really well, and over the summer having the lighter evenings I’ve been looking about a few of my permissions with the pup and ive been really surprised how many charlies We’ve  been bumping in to, it’s surprised me as there is 2 blokes I know of who get about with the rifle.

seing the amount of charlies about I couldn’t help but think of the amount of enjoyable nights I had out as a kid on the lamp with the lurchers, and got me seriously thinking about getting another dog, something a bit bigger and bit hardier?

my pup is 6 months and I’m just wondering what you lads thing about getting another dog, the pups coming on really well recalls good, she’s retrieving defrosted rabbits to hand, jumping well, broken to the ferrets and so far ( touch wood) is there with stock. Obviously she’s still got a long way to go but she’s on her way, I’m just wondering if you think it would be a bit soon to get another dog or reckon it’d be right? 

Any thoughts appreciated fellas

cheers 

• Like 1

Cheers fellas??

Tbh that’s what I’ve been thinking and I’m really pleased with how the pups coming along, and obviously I don’t want to do one dog an injustice never mind too.

ive just been in two minds especially after seing other bits and bobs that are about and it certainly gets you thinking!

i remember one of my uncles lurchers, is be lying if I said I knew exactly how it was bred as I was only a kid and tbh then didn’t care how it was bred just how it ran! Anyway I know it was at least bull grey, and it was a f***ing savage! Could take some serious stick aswell and just crack on!

1 hour ago, Kiwi92 said:

All right lads bit of a random post really but as the title says, been completely bitten by the dog bug!

after growing up around my uncles lurchers and terriers as a kid and having many days and nights entertainment off the dogs, I got my own first running dog pup back in may ( only a little whippet bitch, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m rather fond of them, and it suited what I was after for predominantly rabbits).

really enjoyed bringing the pup on and so far she’s coming on really well, and over the summer having the lighter evenings I’ve been looking about a few of my permissions with the pup and ive been really surprised how many charlies We’ve  been bumping in to, it’s surprised me as there is 2 blokes I know of who get about with the rifle.

seing the amount of charlies about I couldn’t help but think of the amount of enjoyable nights I had out as a kid on the lamp with the lurchers, and got me seriously thinking about getting another dog, something a bit bigger and bit hardier?

my pup is 6 months and I’m just wondering what you lads thing about getting another dog, the pups coming on really well recalls good, she’s retrieving defrosted rabbits to hand, jumping well, broken to the ferrets and so far ( touch wood) is there with stock. Obviously she’s still got a long way to go but she’s on her way, I’m just wondering if you think it would be a bit soon to get another dog or reckon it’d be right? 

Any thoughts appreciated fellas

cheers 

Any pics of pup fella?

Ry

1 hour ago, Kiwi92 said:

Cheers fellas??

Tbh that’s what I’ve been thinking and I’m really pleased with how the pups coming along, and obviously I don’t want to do one dog an injustice never mind too.

ive just been in two minds especially after seing other bits and bobs that are about and it certainly gets you thinking!

i remember one of my uncles lurchers, is be lying if I said I knew exactly how it was bred as I was only a kid and tbh then didn’t care how it was bred just how it ran! Anyway I know it was at least bull grey, and it was a f***ing savage! Could take some serious stick aswell and just crack on!

That quote right there kiwi got me thinking the way I did see were im coming from and machine ?

yeh deff stay with your whippet, if anything  maybe get another  male whippet or better still a grew = whippetxgrey . i had none ped racing whippet bitch in the 80s, only small 20in 20lb , great at rabbits day/night , had couple hares , but they drag her if i didnt get there quick lol. some of the males down the track hit  34 lb , fiery strong  buggers , a lad had 2 brothers  , and he ran them both on foxes and roe deer , and they caught fair few together .   make nice team together next year , till then just knock over few rabbits this season ,

Ryaldinhio

yeah mate but tbh it doesn’t really make that much difference to me like if she had or hadn’t won, obviously it’s nice that someone appreciates you’re dog, but it’s not the be all an end all.

looks like a pretty big pup that mate all the best with him.

my bitch is only 18.5 TTS and and 10.3kg so she’s only little.

Blackmag

yeah mate I do apologise I can completely see were you’re coming from, but i think it’s just a miss understanding and obviously a lack of better wording on my half aswell. I wasn’t describing the animals behaviour as savage, I was describing the dog itself, same again with machine, I’d equally describe an athlete at the top of the game in certain sports as a machine, all’s I ment by this was the dog was in fantastic condition, would never give in and always give 110%.

i completely understand were you’re coming from mate and as I say I do apologise.

cheers.