BRICKWORK PRICE ,DAYWORK ????????

I

have been asked to build the foundations for two posh houses  in Leicestershire the Builder  cannot get a Bricklayer for Love nor Money , its not very straight forward and I think a lot of young Fellahs would struggle with it !  I owe this man nothing though he pays up on the Nail , what should I ask for ?  Cash Per Day ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been in the building trade all my life and half prices you hear that blokes reckon theyre getting is a load of old bollocks.All these blokes clearing a grand a week but never seem to have f**k all.Did

It’s about averaging it out mate when your rained off for 4 months a year a bag of sand a week is not so great, the building trade has given me a living and f****d my body up nothing more and nothing

you lads have hit the nail on the head in the lat few posts, its a hard job and takes its toll on you physically and mentally... when its good its really good and you basically name your price bu

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Jeezz wish I were younger I carried the hod for a well known house builder in the 90s and it was all ladder no loading bays.lol

All forklift and silos nowadays, just hod from bay to spot boards apparently. 

Best mate a bricky , reckons you can't find decent hoddies for love or money. A lot of the ones they come across like to dabble in the powder too "keeps em going". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, liP said:

All forklift and silos nowadays, just hod from bay to spot boards apparently. 

Best mate a bricky , reckons you can't find decent hoddies for love or money. A lot of the ones they come across like to dabble in the powder too "keeps em going". 

I used to have two hods one for bricks and blocks and one for gobo and a mixing point with a diesel mixer with sand a pallet of big bags of cement two 45 gallon drums full of water and a bottle of fairy liquid lol sounds like hod carrying's not a bad number these days.lol

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I used to have two hods one for bricks and blocks and one for gobo and a mixing point with a diesel mixer with sand a pallet of big bags of cement two 45 gallon drums full of water and a bottle of fairy liquid lol sounds like hod carrying's not a bad number these days.lol

That's how I remember it when I used to work on site. ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Same as that mate, used to look after 3 brickies back in the early 90s for £30 a day......I was happy of it too, work was hard to find.

My pals used to say “I wouldn’t do all that work for that” and guess what?....they were skint all the time ! Lol 

• Like 6
Just now, WILF said:

Same as that mate, used to look after 3 brickies back in the early 90s for £30 a day......I was happy of it too, work was hard to find.

My pals used to say “I wouldn’t do all that work for that” and guess what?....they were skint all the time ! Lol 

Same here most of my hod carrying was cash in hand till I went with a gang on 30pct split on sc 60.A mate from London when I saw his hod in his van it only had a short shaft on it and was told it was the norm with southern hod carriers.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Same here most of my hod carrying was cash in hand till I went with a gang on 30pct split on sc 60.A mate from London when I saw his hod in his van it only had a short shaft on it and was told it was the norm with southern hod carriers.

Yep, always cut down.

My career ended rather acrimoniously as two of the Brickies were chopsy fuckers trying to be smart all the time.

Lost my rag one day and tried to chop one of thems head off with a shovel, I was chasing them all round the scaffold of a block of flats.....must have looked comical to any spectators lol 

That’s may have been the time I got the idea that a real job may not be for me! Lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hodded in the 70s. I honestly thought it was easy. Youngsters have a natural fitness and resilience . I used to play football, train and run after work and thought nothing of it. Got arthritis in my neck now though. Possibly due to compression of the discs carrying the hod??

If you abuse your body when you are young, it will bite you in the arse when you get older. One thing I've noticed is guys who put a lot of weight have sore knees and end up sat in a chair putting more weight on.Vicious circle.

Micky you never owe whoever  you pays anything. Get as much as you possibly can. Same as the employer is doing.

7 hours ago, micky said:

I

have been asked to build the foundations for two posh houses  in Leicestershire the Builder  cannot get a Bricklayer for Love nor Money , its not very straight forward and I think a lot of young Fellahs would struggle with it !  I owe this man nothing though he pays up on the Nail , what should I ask for ?  Cash Per Day ?

Beware the tax man ?? you will be surprised who’s watching and cash has become an obscene word to the latest generation ✌️ 

• Like 1

Very good money at the minute for brickies, my younger brother takes home over a bag of sand for 4 n half days work, that's not including any weekend private jobs he takes on.

Edited by Jobi
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

I hodded in the 70s. I honestly thought it was easy. Youngsters have a natural fitness and resilience . I used to play football, train and run after work and thought nothing of it. Got arthritis in my neck now though. Possibly due to compression of the discs carrying the hod??

If you abuse your body when you are young, it will bite you in the arse when you get older. One thing I've noticed is guys who put a lot of weight have sore knees and end up sat in a chair putting more weight on.Vicious circle.

Micky you never owe whoever  you pays anything. Get as much as you possibly can. Same as the employer is doing.

I was a hod carrier back in the 70's up and down all day 12 brick at a time 2 blocks or only 1of those hollow big ones and compo in the bigger hod. Didn't mind the graft money wasn't bad, nothing compared with today by the sound of it.  As with you Jukel my neck feel like its cricked and arthritis in the base of my thumbs. All that punishment of the building trade has taken it's toll.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1