Vintage ammo.

Apparently the red box is from November 1975!

Amazingly it is as good as the day it was made. Accurate and very powerful...in fact it shows today's ammo as being anemic! It's nice to have my suspicions confirmed how I remembered wmr many years ago compared to today's ammo choices! 

9 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Apparently the red box is from November 1975!

Amazingly it is as good as the day it was made. Accurate and very powerful...in fact it shows today's ammo as being anemic! It's nice to have my suspicions confirmed how I remembered wmr many years ago compared to today's ammo choices! 

Interesting, I fancy a .22 magnum myself, but I’m not sure whether it would offer me anything that the hornet doesn’t?  I took the mouse gun and air rifle out yesterday( the one I’ve been considering swapping for a wmr ), but as I forgot to take any airgun pellets I decided to have a bit of a longer range test of the mouse gun. Not very scientific, but I cracked five off at a one gallon can at 200 yards. Aimed Centre top edge of the can and achieve around two inches or slightly less to my surprise, especially as I wasn’t really trying very hard due to the size of the target. Might keep the mouse gun yet??.  Anyway, regarding the Winchester.22 mags, I’m sure I remember the white box with yellow X back around 1981/82?  They did move onto a white box with a red X afterwards, nineties I think, but not sure about seventies. Any pics of the rounds SD?

That not old. I was given a box (100) of WW2 .22 lr training ammo. The stuff with copper cases and IcI headstamp. Not a single round went off despite several good strikes on each rim. I broke a few open to test the powder with a match..... the powder was clean, small granules and burnt  well as I would have expected so it looks as if the primer compound had gone inert. Another 100 box of IMI Mk2 with brass cases from the 60s.  all went off and were very accurate. I also have a couple of boxes of old Winchester 12 G carts that don't go off.  When I get a bit of time I will break them down for the contents shot to go in the reloading stock.

Edited by Meece
50 minutes ago, Meece said:

That not old. I was given a box (100) of WW2 .22 lr training ammo. The stuff with copper cases and IcI headstamp. Not a single round went off despite several good strikes on each rim. I broke a few open to test the powder with a match..... the powder was clean, small granules and burnt  well as I would have expected so it looks as if the primer compound had gone inert. Another 100 box of IMI Mk2 with brass cases from the 60s.  all went off and were very accurate. I also have a couple of boxes of old Winchester 12 G carts that don't go off.  When I get a bit of time I will break them down for the contents shot to go in the reloading stock.

I had many years ago a box of ICI ammo. Think it was called '100' and that was very accurate.

I was also given some Canadian ammo dated 1942. May of been called Dominican(?). That was copper cased and shot very well too.