coastal mooch

at Filey for a few days with the Mrs and bought little dog with me. walking the cliffs not seen a single rabbit or even a Todd. been to Robin Hood's Bay and whitby today and not a single one knocked over either it has surprised me. 

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Keep ye eye open for fishing or crabbing spots for me pal??

it's a beautiful place I am going a few miles inland tomorrow. not here rabbiting but its always nice to put a few up with the dog

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Deffo rabbits towards Pickering an that, not loads but I got good mates that way that are kept busy all season, ye there at weekend?

going back on Friday. looking at walking round Ampleforth way? don't know area at all but it looks good. I like to get away from the beaten track. 

On 03/09/2019 at 18:01, fred90 said:

going back on Friday. looking at walking round Ampleforth way? don't know area at all but it looks good. I like to get away from the beaten track. 

Byland Abbey is a nice spot just down from Ampleforth if you've got half hour spare, looks well lit up at night. Also Coxwold is a beautiful little village.. worth seeing even if just to pass through i think. I've stayed on the Golden square campsite a few times, just up road. Decet walk through the woods there, just noth of the site.. lot's of everything in those woods i think! 

I took  a wrong turn a few year's ago heading to that site and ended up on some small lanes, way too tight to be towing a van down, east of Thirsk and it was absolutely teeming with rabbits crossing the road late evening. And i mean TEEMING!!

It's a cracking coast too. Stayed twice on Thornwick bay site this year. Love Bempton cliffs for a walk round, usually spot a Peregrine too with a bit of luck. RSPB charging to get on there now though. Flanbrough another good spot, Roe and Barn Owls.. ?

went from Ampleforth and around Byland Abbey. dog put a few rabbits up and a short run at a big rabbit. looked decent numbers. was greeted by a irate orchard owner ranting and raving (dog had just run a rabbit through his trees) thought I won't bother asking for permission. all in all good day, time out with Mrs, work for the little dog and a Yorkshire welcome from Mr orchard. 

Screenshot_20190905_183901_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 3

Went for a walk not to far from me this afternoon for an hour as I knew there wasn’t going to be much wind for a mooch tonight. As I was walking down the field and saw the farmer cutting his hedges on his tractor, so I thought I’ll pass down by him see what sort of mood he’s in and maybe ask him for a bit of permission. walked off the public footpath onto the field he’s on and I’m along the bottom edge as he’s coming down thinking I’ll meet on the corner. So as he’s 10 yards from the bottom he sent a fox out from where he was cutting the other side of hedge, dogs seen it when it passed along the opening between the two fields and off they  went farmer looking at me and I put my hand over my head as if to say oh f**k but sorry. When I looked up and realised he hadn’t noticed the fox come out, he just must have thought dogs was f***ing around?. His first words were your trespassing, I said I know I was just on the footpath but I’m getting back on now just wanted to ask you if you had any ferrrting he said no they all been killed by the virus. Could tell he was a funny f****r so I just let him be as he went into the next field and he nocked a rabbit out ?. Wanted to say thought there was no bunnies but I just carried on walking smiling to myself as I’ve been going on there for last 3 seasons anyway. 

C28489CF-E5FD-4779-A239-27AFE8991C47.jpeg

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Igz said:

Went for a walk not to far from me this afternoon for an hour as I knew there wasn’t going to be much wind for a mooch tonight. As I was walking down the field and saw the farmer cutting his hedges on his tractor, so I thought I’ll pass down by him see what sort of mood he’s in and maybe ask him for a bit of permission. walked off the public footpath onto the field he’s on and I’m along the bottom edge as he’s coming down thinking I’ll meet on the corner. So as he’s 10 yards from the bottom he sent a fox out from where he was cutting the other side of hedge, dogs seen it when it passed along the opening between the two fields and off they  went farmer looking at me and I put my hand over my head as if to say oh f**k but sorry. When I looked up and realised he hadn’t noticed the fox come out, he just must have thought dogs was f***ing around?. His first words were your trespassing, I said I know I was just on the footpath but I’m getting back on now just wanted to ask you if you had any ferrrting he said no they all been killed by the virus. Could tell he was a funny f****r so I just let him be as he went into the next field and he nocked a rabbit out ?. Wanted to say thought there was no bunnies but I just carried on walking smiling to myself as I’ve been going on there for last 3 seasons anyway. 

C28489CF-E5FD-4779-A239-27AFE8991C47.jpeg

sadly nothing changes mate?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

sadly nothing changes mate?

I was polite in how I went about things and he’d just seen me come from where I did so knows I was only off the path 2 minutes. He had cows in next field and seen the dogs never took a second look but straight away he was on the defensive. He could have got himself any moles cleared up free of charge if he’d have been a bit more polite but knew from his first reaction there wasn’t much chance . I do my best to respect where I walk though and I don’t see no harm in walking the dogs where I feel fit. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Igz said:

I was polite in how I went about things and he’d just seen me come from where I did so knows I was only off the path 2 minutes. He had cows in next field and seen the dogs never took a second look but straight away he was on the defensive. He could have got himself any moles cleared up free of charge if he’d have been a bit more polite but knew from his first reaction there wasn’t much chance . I do my best to respect where I walk though and I don’t see no harm in walking the dogs where I feel fit. 

I have spent a lifetime in your position pal. not say all but most farmers I have come across a funny breed so tight they only breathe in and are suspicious of everything. one even thought my little beddywhippet had been killing his sheep ?. found out later his bad practice had caused his sheep dying. 

12 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I have spent a lifetime in your position pal. not say all but most farmers I have come across a funny breed so tight they only breathe in and are suspicious of everything. one even thought my little beddywhippet had been killing his sheep ?. found out later his bad practice had caused his sheep dying. 

Ha ha. It’s always someone else’s fault. Nice to know he thought that and find out the truth. Haven’t met many farmers but I do ok for permission as I’m always on different spots ?. Atb for the season Igz