all change

went out Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours with the semi.. 

the plan was to put a couple of crow decoys out and knock a few blacks off,

I can't shoot them at the clamp with the shotgun as there is a big pigeon loft next to it so the next best thing is to take them out on the nearest stubble field!

as soon as I got there it started raining :censored:so I sat int car till it stoped, in the half hour I was in the car id seen one crow but noticed a few pigeons moving about..

so I watched where they were going and they were dropping in a bean field that I shoot half a mile away, this fields on for a bumper crop so I thought id get tucked in at the back out of the way,

after trekking over a few fields to get to where I wanted to be its started pissin down sideways so I skipped the bean field and hid behind a bale till it passed,

even in the rain and wind they were still moving about so I aimed for a small copse to sit it out in and found a mint natural hide!

I put the two crows out, one scouting on a bale one on the deck and they started to pull a few nosey birds in, as they were dropping I started building a pattern with the pigeons!

there were a few that were high and landed in the beans at the back of me that I couldn't find but I picked up about 14 I think and one crow. 

the hide

r1rWg1e7RlWcAJcbERtZWw.jpg.84a2330ca8fb303c3574ea30f5c26944.jpg

and the reward:thumbs: all breasted back at the car and donated to an old bloke Ive known for years!

no gizmos no nets no thrills but a thoroughly enjoyable session once I dried out:laugh:

fullsizeoutput_5d1.jpeg.eaf77a7297c8b046ac1e076db95cc5d4.jpeg

77869766_gQ5pgYGRwqx9GieQ1J2g.jpg.a035030af11ddea2711d5a86e44e0923.jpg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Just goes to show that something not the normal will often work 

go going si ?

atb 

cheers Dave.. on the last 3 previous attempts ive not even got the gear out of the car,

cos you just cant pin the pigeons down to one area.. had a mooch about this afternoon and there all over the spot, constantly changing flight lines and crops/stubble!

gave up cos it was blowing a gale and me head was spinning.. a bit of a breeze is a good thing but it was to much today:unknw:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 22:04, si brown said:

went out Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours with the semi.. 

the plan was to put a couple of crow decoys out and knock a few blacks off,

I can't shoot them at the clamp with the shotgun as there is a big pigeon loft next to it so the next best thing is to take them out on the nearest stubble field!

as soon as I got there it started raining :censored:so I sat int car till it stoped, in the half hour I was in the car id seen one crow but noticed a few pigeons moving about..

so I watched where they were going and they were dropping in a bean field that I shoot half a mile away, this fields on for a bumper crop so I thought id get tucked in at the back out of the way,

after trekking over a few fields to get to where I wanted to be its started pissin down sideways so I skipped the bean field and hid behind a bale till it passed,

even in the rain and wind they were still moving about so I aimed for a small copse to sit it out in and found a mint natural hide!

I put the two crows out, one scouting on a bale one on the deck and they started to pull a few nosey birds in, as they were dropping I started building a pattern with the pigeons!

there were a few that were high and landed in the beans at the back of me that I couldn't find but I picked up about 14 I think and one crow. 

the hide

r1rWg1e7RlWcAJcbERtZWw.jpg.84a2330ca8fb303c3574ea30f5c26944.jpg

and the reward:thumbs: all breasted back at the car and donated to an old bloke Ive known for years!

no gizmos no nets no thrills but a thoroughly enjoyable session once I dried out:laugh:

fullsizeoutput_5d1.jpeg.eaf77a7297c8b046ac1e076db95cc5d4.jpeg

77869766_gQ5pgYGRwqx9GieQ1J2g.jpg.a035030af11ddea2711d5a86e44e0923.jpg

How do you find the kick off?

On 03/09/2019 at 19:46, David.evans said:

Just goes to show that something not the normal will often work 

go going si ?

atb 

Yes. The birds will land and feed somewhere naturally without decoys.  As the years have gone by kit has evolved with more and more add ons that may or may not work. But if you are in that place that the birds want to feed on or are interested in you don't need any kit at all. A mate and I had a very good day on a field that had no crop at all.  It had just been disced and was just dirt.  We saw a bit of a line that went past the end of a small pond with a couple of trees and shot a couple as they passed. We set these out on the dirt and very soon the passing  birds were drawn in and we endead up with 75. no kit at all. Good perseverance in the face of the rain ect Si.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1