David platts

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred several litters in the 1980s/1990s,..we worked them most nights,... Straight cross twixt Ardkinglas Deerhound and Irish Coursing Greyhounds.. The next cross,  back to the Greyhound was

he looks a happy chap

It's right to remember good old times, and good old boys... I have travelled, all the way up one side of Scotland, and come back down the other...  As you know, nothing much beats the place

Posted Images

12 hours ago, darbo said:

I did a bit of letter writing to and fro with T.Reilly long before the internet and forums etc. He offered me a pup free of charge but i didnt take him up on it as i had just bought one in but i thought it was a very kind gesture.

IMG_1125.JPG

Looks to be GSD in that.????

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I used to bump into a lad now and again from Manchester who used to go up in a vardo to Caithness and stay near him 

Would you  say his dogs were more like a greyhound then mick ?? 

No mate tbh they looked like 3/4 breds but heavier set, some where smooth coated but most had a rough coat on them. He bred the 7/8 stuff to pure breds when the 7/8 where getting up in age and they where a nice stamp of dog and knew there job. The pure bitch was bred by AW and was a cracking animal and the dog was from a breeder in Scotland iirc.

Edited by MickC
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

??

I werent going to say but how he knew what was what with his dogs beat me and what sire fathered the pups, he had about 16 dogs and none were kennelled, all use to roam freely 24/7 and sleep in a big barn, he did have a pure GSD, pure greyhound, pure deerhounds, a mixer of terriers plus his lurchers funny enough. One litter there was a dog that ended 30tts and same litter a dog 23tts, but all the dogs I saw did thier task and he was a hell of a character and nice bloke. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jukel123 said:

That White dog is Chalky, he was 7/8G 1/8 D and was out of Rebel what all his 7/8 stuff was out of. They where whelped early 80s iirc.Im Offshore at moment but will post a few pics when I get home.

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Big Ron said:

??

I werent going to say but how he knew what was what with his dogs beat me and what sire fathered the pups, he had about 16 dogs and none were kennelled, all use to roam freely 24/7 and sleep in a big barn, he did have a pure GSD, pure greyhound, pure deerhounds, a mixer of terriers plus his lurchers funny enough. One litter there was a dog that ended 30tts and same litter a dog 23tts, but all the dogs I saw did thier task and he was a hell of a character and nice bloke. 

Was that not the litter that got hit with parvo ? Im sure he lost a full litter then a later litter survived the parvo.I remember some of them out of that litter and they didnt make anything. He did cut back a lot of his dogs as he would also travel about in his vardo and went to a lot of the fairs also. He whittled down to two 7/8 lurchers two Deerhounds ( bitch got shot by a toff) one greyhound and two Irish terriers.Memorys a bit hazy but its almost 30 year ago now. Lol

Edited by MickC
27 minutes ago, MickC said:

Was that not the litter that got hit with parvo ? Im sure he lost a full litter then a later litter survived the parvo.I remember some of them out of that litter and they didnt make anything. He did cut back a lot of his dogs as he would also travel about in his vardo and went to a lot of the fairs also. He whittled down to two 7/8 lurchers two Deerhounds ( bitch got shot by a toff) one greyhound and two Irish terriers.Memorys a bit hazy but its almost 30 year ago now. Lol

Not this litter mate , they all went i had a bitch that was left gifted by the man, he never traveled much when I was going up there, maybe your a bit after me, I was 87ish-92 going there, the pure deerhounds he just had and there were no irish terriers there 

• Like 1
Just now, MickC said:

Your spot on I started going up in 93. Where has the time gone ? 

lol don't i feel old, do you have his number, id like to speak with him again. i got his number a few years back and spoke but lost touch again, heard he lives more south now. if you have contact details PM please if you would

3 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

lol don't i feel old, do you have his number, id like to speak with him again. i got his number a few years back and spoke but lost touch again, heard he lives more south now. if you have contact details PM please if you would

Ive just sent you a pm ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MickC said:

That White dog is Chalky, he was 7/8G 1/8 D and was out of Rebel what all his 7/8 stuff was out of. They where whelped early 80s iirc.Im Offshore at moment but will post a few pics when I get home.

Is there anybody still running his stuff Mick C