David platts

14 hours ago, Penda said:

Hard to find decent bred genuine deerhound types these days my old man had a 3/4 reverse when I was a kid some dog he was had the heart of a grizzly bear stuff I see about now doesn't seem to be of the same type but just the way it is i suppose 

An old picture General Custer and his deerhound cross, he wasn't wrong about much?!!!

Wasn't there someone on here in the winter that posted pictures of his deerhound/staghound pups from Canada I think?

Maybe the only way to get tested and worked deerhound blood would be from American and Australian staghound lines?

0000 custers dogs PastedGraphic-1-1019x1024.png

• Like 2

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred several litters in the 1980s/1990s,..we worked them most nights,... Straight cross twixt Ardkinglas Deerhound and Irish Coursing Greyhounds.. The next cross,  back to the Greyhound was

he looks a happy chap

It's right to remember good old times, and good old boys... I have travelled, all the way up one side of Scotland, and come back down the other...  As you know, nothing much beats the place

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Blackmag said:

It always held a good head of sika And roe ? but once certain locals started going nearly every night and leaving gates open and a few things just dumped in the field  it got warm then a wildlife officer  (Thomas) gained a load of perm because of it and it got not worth bothering with 

Did that certain local drive about the local fields in a old Landy and perhaps sell a got or two lol. Sum characters up there alright,  tad warm on sorley ridge lol. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, robertb123 said:

An old picture General Custer and his deerhound cross, he wasn't wrong about much?!!!

Wasn't there someone on here in the winter that posted pictures of his deerhound/staghound pups from Canada I think?

Maybe the only way to get tested and worked deerhound blood would be from American and Australian staghound lines?

Plenty of stags here being worked mate, my 3/4 whippet  is no world beater but she is handy enough

20190903-153424.JPG

20190903-153152.JPG

20190903-153055.JPG

• Like 1
4 hours ago, robertb123 said:

May be I mean the few I've saw run of lately were alrite but you start to turn that gas up they just didn't seem to like it, good pic that is and Custer looks like a G in the pic ?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, robertb123 said:

Nothing like modern deerhounds, basically lurchers.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, robertb123 said:

I can think of one very important thing custer was wrong about.....

little big horn......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
17 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Did that certain local drive about the local fields in a old Landy and perhaps sell a got or two lol. Sum characters up there alright,  tad warm on sorley ridge lol. 

Yes that's him leo and yes he did sell a dog or two ?and is mates with the mighty whin  I avoid the place now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ive been out with lots of deerhound x dogs ,ive seen a couple that i thought were honest dogs ,and the one thing that i concluded on ,...they all lacked stamina,we were almost soley hunting hares ,they did have power on the foxes ,but at 28 tts plus,they would be embarrasing if they hadnt,the one thing i found with them is they couldnt turn tight to save their lives but they did make up ground on the straight,..when x into other lurcher types ,i think thats where they improved in a few qualities ,speed and turning and reducing size..there is/was one here in Ireland that was a right good dog,my mate bred it ..i tried to get the stud use of the dog for 2 members on here but the owner refused..a few years later he was complaining he couldnt find decent bitches to use his dog on,i owned one for a while but the electric fencing mangled the dogs confidence,they were just too tall for slipping under the wires ...my 1st x saluki dog had more stamina ,more speed and was 4 inches smaller than some of the impressive giants i ran with at one time ,i wouldnt own or use one again i dont think,there are better options out there

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, jigsaw said:

ive been out with lots of deerhound x dogs ,ive seen a couple that i thought were honest dogs ,and the one thing that i concluded on ,...they all lacked stamina,we were almost soley hunting hares ,they did have power on the foxes ,but at 28 tts plus,they would be embarrasing if they hadnt,the one thing i found with them is they couldnt turn tight to save their lives but they did make up ground on the straight,..when x into other lurcher types ,i think thats where they improved in a few qualities ,speed and turning and reducing size..there is/was one here in Ireland that was a right good dog,my mate bred it ..i tried to get the stud use of the dog for 2 members on here but the owner refused..a few years later he was complaining he couldnt find decent bitches to use his dog on,i owned one for a while but the electric fencing mangled the dogs confidence,they were just too tall for slipping under the wires ...my 1st x saluki dog had more stamina ,more speed and was 4 inches smaller than some of the impressive giants i ran with at one time ,i wouldnt own or use one again i dont think,there are better options out there

Run all day and turn on a dime if you know what you are looking for,  I love the Scottish deer hound x whippet/greyhounds great dogs and make 1/2 decent all rounders for the smaller game and they can and do get used for pigs here too. this  is zip yesterday down the river. The purebreds are as you say too big and not agile enough, not sure why the ones you have seen lack stamina but here that is there strength, run all day. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Run all day and turn on a dime if you know what you are looking for,  I love the Scottish deer hound x whippet/greyhounds great dogs and make 1/2 decent all rounders for the smaller game and they can and do get used for pigs here too. this  is zip yesterday down the river. The purebreds are as you say too big and not agile enough, not sure why the ones you have seen lack stamina but here that is there strength, run all day. 

ok im talking about 1st cross deerhounds ,a mix between 1 greyhound and 1 deerhound ,nothing else in the mix,and ive seen plenty years back,they were not rubbish,all im saying is there were faster more agile dogs out there than them,plus the ground and electric fences played a big part in their running style,and we were mostly on hares at the time,with the odd fox thrown  in,and if you read what i wrote ,once their mixed again with another type lurcher they then become a very good all rounder at times ,hell I like the deerhound x ,i just find other stuff more suitable for what i want ,no doubt on bigger game they would excel,pigs ,deer and fox too ,once they get hold but for smaller faster stuff,teres better choices out there IN MY OPINION 

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Good assessment of them jig. Everything you have explained there is what I am experiencing with mine apart from the turning ability mine seems to turn well and sticks to its quarry.

I dont think I would have another they just seem to lack that do or die attitude. 

• Like 3

If the deerhound greyhound was still producing the goods more people would use them definitely a restricted cross in there uses what can they bring to the table that a lurcher to lurcher hasn’t got in hand though in my eyes there just a ingredient that gets put in the melting pot to create useful Lurchers for a bit of everything 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, joe ox said:

So basically they add a shaggy coat and height, but the height needs breeding out via other crosses to make them an all round useful lurcher, it would be a lot less hassle using a pure greyhound.

Might as well just get a decent racey bred Wheaton or bedlington cross??

• Like 3