Hunting up on the lamp

My bitch done the same, done my head in so I bought an e-collar and trained her recall to a whistle using the e-collar during the day. Then had a go lamping with the collar on. She missed I whistled and to begin with she went to hunt up but quick buzz and she was on her way back. After a few runs it was lamp off, whistle wait 2 or 3 secs n quick flick of the lamp to make sure she was coming back. Now I just turn lamp off n she's back by myside. Worked for her/me.  Think my other dog is feart of the dark tho. He's back before I know it when  lamps off.

• Like 3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't overthink things you will go mad, just go and lamp him let him fk up, the penny will drop and you be fine. 

always walk mine at night take a light,from a few months old, point torch/lamp at the floor and switch on and off get them to return to my feet.....never used a slip with my old bitch.....young bitch

It's not about him merely losing visuals though is it, you can guarantee he's following the scent once he's lost sight. I doubt it will be so easy to fix.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, B Woodsford said:

Cheers mate will give this a go next time I go out 

Just get him excited.

Once he realises you can get him more runs he will soon be at your side waiting for the slip lead.

As other lads have said though it will take a few outings for the penny to drop.

• Like 1

some years ago a mate who had a real good lamping dog, said to me gyp catches lots of hares I recon he could do it in  the day, I said bring him, and at the first hedge gyp stopped and came trotting back, he thought that was it like at night, now I would not start a daytime coursing dog on the lamp until it mastered coursing, so why let an all rounder hunt up as a pup in the day, and then take it lamping and moan when it hunts up. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, two crows said:

some years ago a mate who had a real good lamping dog, said to me gyp catches lots of hares I recon he could do it in  the day, I said bring him, and at the first hedge gyp stopped and came trotting back, he thought that was it like at night, now I would not start a daytime coursing dog on the lamp until it mastered coursing, so why let an all rounder hunt up as a pup in the day, and then take it lamping and moan when it hunts up. 

As I said in the post he doesn’t hunt up in the day time he comes back first time in day after he’s seen something that’s why I thought he was ready. Great story 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, B Woodsford said:

As I said in the post he doesn’t hunt up in the day time he comes back first time in day after he’s seen something that’s why I thought he was ready. Great story 

that wasent directed at you just a general observation good luck with the pup, some good lamping round retford, we used to go from grove rd signal box all along the railway round the woods near upton, and from the golf course right to the A1.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, two crows said:

that wasent directed at you just a general observation good luck with the pup, some good lamping round retford, we used to go from grove rd signal box all along the railway round the woods near upton, and from the golf course right to the A1.

Did you have a PTS...... 

On 29/08/2019 at 07:29, two crows said:

yeah that’s where we go, or up the canal to clarborough round all up Hayten and that then back down other side of Retford. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, B Woodsford said:

yeah that’s where we go, or up the canal to clarborough round all up Hayten and that then back down other side of Retford. 

bothamsal back to the a1 and the a1 side of barnby moor were good as well years ago plenty of rabbits.

• Like 1

if the dogs hunting up i would walk off across fields few hundred meters then start lamping again the dog will soon follow once it comes back to lamp turn it off stand still call it in lead it up carry on lamping keep doing it after a few runs it will soon realise the quicker im back on the lead quicker im chasing again 

the terrier crosses that hit the briars  and stay in them all night are alot worse lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 28/08/2019 at 13:34, bunnyboiler said:

Always amazes me when people say they don’t have a lead on a dog when lamping what happens if summat jumps up while your walking do they just watch it run of cuz I know my dog would be of 

Yea exactly. I started mine lamping off lead and he will do it but I know for a fact if some daft bit of vermin comes trundling along like it owns the place it would be crash bang wallop what a picture

21352116941_2b5492d16b_o.jpg.421774850df8f0d2b86067b27ed0b6ab.jpg

As for the hunting up just try and slip on on rabbits it has a good chance of catching also and it sounds daft but leg it after the dog while your running the rabbit then as soon as it loses it your close by and its more likely to listen. Don't worry about noise you just got to get the pattern started.It you firmly call it from ten yards its more likely to listen than down the bottom of the field. Get it on a lead and back lamping asap so it knows the sooner it gets back the sooner you crack on. Plus early days

• Like 1