Hunting up on the lamp

3 hours ago, poxon said:

This is why I like to ferret first season dogs to nets so it pretty much guarantees fur between there mouth an builds confidence of grabbing the rabbit early on so they realise that there will always be others to catch instead of hunting up in a desperate hope of catching a missed run on the lamp young dogs are always over keen an can set there selfs in bad ways by being keen after missing runs but a lot of the time it’s down to them not being mentally ready An the owner being over keen to get them going I mean if it was me an I didn’t have use of ferrets to get them going I’d be looking at fields with stock fencing round with longish grass round the bottom I’d be looking at rabbits far out in the field that squat tight an try an get between were the direction the rabbit was heading An on top of them before slipping the dog no point in slipping young dogs on open fast moving ground were the hedge lines are clear for the rabbit to make it to safety fast 

Cheers, I’m meant to be taking him out with my friends ferrets at some point. Iv been doing exactly that just taking him out in the day but he’s spot on in the day time. Just going to give him more time because your probably right and Iv tried him too early. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't overthink things you will go mad, just go and lamp him let him fk up, the penny will drop and you be fine. 

always walk mine at night take a light,from a few months old, point torch/lamp at the floor and switch on and off get them to return to my feet.....never used a slip with my old bitch.....young bitch

It's not about him merely losing visuals though is it, you can guarantee he's following the scent once he's lost sight. I doubt it will be so easy to fix.

Posted Images

Cheers lads will try going back out with the lamp and a dummy and letting him go when there’s nothing there and come back. The retrieving and finding isn’t the problem. Will just wait till he’s abit more mature and maybe let him have a good run off the lead before I go out to get rid of some frustration. He’s never yapped when other dogs run. He just uses his nose, even off the lead he doesn’t go far away although I always keep him on the slip when lamping just as soon as he looses sight and puts his head down. I used chunks of cheese to teach him to come back in the day, he comes back at night first time as well but it wouldn’t matter what I have once he picks up a sent at night. 

37EF0BC1-E5F3-4992-B717-69522FACBEB9.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice looking dog mate hes still young my dog was a right c his first season used to stand 30 yard away staring about and refusing to come in not good for the blood pressure and of course hunting up for a good bit before the gormless twat routine 

Second winter just picked it up straight away just got gi um time

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bunnyboiler said:

Always amazes me when people say they don’t have a lead on a dog when lamping what happens if summat jumps up while your walking do they just watch it run of cuz I know my dog would be of 

Only works right if u ware a dress and stink o beans 

Youl learn mate

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Nice looking dog mate hes still young my dog was a right c his first season used to stand 30 yard away staring about and refusing to come in not good for the blood pressure and of course hunting up for a good bit before the gormless twat routine 

Second winter just picked it up straight away just got gi um time

Cheers mate and I know most frustrating thing going. Hopefully he gets used to it 

14 minutes ago, Balaur said:

My tuppence maybe give the dog plenty of exercise beforehand to take the edge off, work on your bond with the dog and once dog is back try and get a quick slip in again so the dog starts associating you with the slip . Ideally you'll head out on a rainy windy and get enough slips to yoyo the dog. You'll get there just keep at it and try and stop on a positive, ATB Joe 

Yeah I will do cheers mate 

It's a recall problem if anything and the dog focusing on the next chase you don't even come into his world at this point you need him to be able to snap out of it and come back with shouting you may have to waste a full night on the lamp and get him on a bunny get a loud whistle and one loud short burst to switch his attention back to you. He needs to learn it's a partnership and not all him 

• Like 3

The next time you see a bunny in the beam ideally a squatter. 

Stand about 30ft off.

And give his slip a few short tugs nothing hard just a few inches.

And at the same time ask him the same thing when he's looking for his lost ball or tug in the grass.

But say it with a bit of excitement to your voice.ie were is it etc. and only loud enough for him to hear it and not the bunny.

Do that maybe 5 times untill you see he's looking keen.

Then walk slowly towards the bunny every second or 2 a little tug and an excited quiet voice from you.

Let him have the run.

You have just given the dog a huge excited buzz by doing that and he will want that excited feeling again.

He can't get it hunting up.

The penny will soon drop.

He will be back in no time to get that buzz again.

Once he gets used to lamping the little tug and whisper will come in handy as it will let him know there's 100% something at the end of the beam even if he can't see it.

Patience is key and don't give him a row.

Keep relaxed.

You both have years ahead of you.

Good luck with him BW..

You will soon be putting pics up of lamped bunnys..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, C.green said:

Im no dog trainer but alot of it stems from frustration by sounds of it. Id say burn some steam off him either a night on numbers of rabbits or maybe try and retrieve couple hares when the grounds right. All the praise in the world is not gonna matter one bit to a super keen dog thats watched other dpgs run but the only thing stopping him is you lol. 

I like my dog to use his nose at night whether its rabbits in abit of long or finding other stuff without me hardly putting me lamp on but its gotta be under control.  Dc you say youve never used a slip will your bitch not run if another dog is running something ?

she was always steady enough in company on the rabbits,used to do a fair bit bolting to hawks,she would mark a warren,lay down and not move if a rabbit bolted....smart enough to know they are the birds.no chance with this young rough bitch if there's another dog about?when I'm on my own ,where I shouldn't be,I like a dog that will hunt up and not cast to far save flicking on the lamp,giving away my location like yourself C.....1 thing I won't put up with is being dragged round by a dog on a slip all night?boils my piss...young bitch pulls like f**k on the lead in the daytime.....but not at night ?‍♂️a good thing as she could pull a train lolDSC00929_001.jpg.2680b43e41e295e463b7f9a69739f17d.jpg

• Like 4

As Saltmoon said, you may have to feck up some lamping, teaching recall on the lamp but he'll get the hang of it. After all he's used to hunting up, so it's just a new type of work he needs to learn. I'm in the process of the same thing with mine, he hunts like a demon daytime but he'll soon learn to run up and down the beam. Patience is key bud.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, king said:

The next time you see a bunny in the beam ideally a squatter. 

Stand about 30ft off.

And give his slip a few short tugs nothing hard just a few inches.

And at the same time ask him the same thing when he's looking for his lost ball or tug in the grass.

But say it with a bit of excitement to your voice.ie were is it etc. and only loud enough for him to hear it and not the bunny.

Do that maybe 5 times untill you see he's looking keen.

Then walk slowly towards the bunny every second or 2 a little tug and an excited quiet voice from you.

Let him have the run.

You have just given the dog a huge excited buzz by doing that and he will want that excited feeling again.

He can't get it hunting up.

The penny will soon drop.

He will be back in no time to get that buzz again.

Once he gets used to lamping the little tug and whisper will come in handy as it will let him know there's 100% something at the end of the beam even if he can't see it.

Patience is key and don't give him a row.

Keep relaxed.

You both have years ahead of you.

Good luck with him BW..

You will soon be putting pics up of lamped bunnys..

Cheers mate will give this a go next time I go out