1 good dog in a life time

Do you guys think the title is correct.I hear people say ya get one top class dog in a life time iv had some good dogs well i think there been good dogs but one was exceptional since then none have been as good they've been decent but just couldnt top it.iv currently got one 16 moth old that's just starting and I think it's a cracker but weather it makes as good as the top one I had time will tell.what  your thoughts have youse had two or even three

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, forest said:

Do you guys think the title is correct.I hear people say ya get one top class dog in a life time iv had some good dogs well i think there been good dogs but one was exceptional since then none have been as good they've been decent but just couldnt top it.iv currently got one 16 moth old that's just starting and I think it's a cracker but weather it makes as good as the top one I had time will tell.what  your thoughts have youse had two or even three

I've had two that I would describe as my best dogs, but only one that was my best catch dog. And he was the one that did my head in the most lol

• Like 1

Memory plays funny tricks on you, I've had a couple of good, nay great dogs in the last 40 years but one man's gold is another man's trash.

As Ive got older I value different things in a dog, my old white cur is the best I've had in certain respects but couldn't hold a candle to some I've had in the past in many other respects but the main thing imo is to utilise any particular dogs qualities and most of all, enjoy your dogs!

Cheers, D.

• Like 8
Just now, dytkos said:

Memory plays funny tricks on you, I've had a couple of good, nay great dogs in the last 40 years but one man's gold is another man's trash.

As Ive got older I value different things in a dog, my old white cur is the best I've had in certain respects but couldn't hold a candle to some I've had in the past in many other respects but the main thing imo is to utilise any particular dogs qualities and most of all, enjoy your dogs!

Cheers, D.

Good point, I've never been one for dog swapping or knocking em on the head so once I buy a pup it's for life. You have to utilise what it does and what quarry it does best. Horses for courses and ain't that true, if you get an all-rounder then that's a bonus. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Spose its helps being 300 odd

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

I have had some top liners, both runners and other workers, I believe good dog men make good dogs.

Thats true, but you can only polish a turd so much. 

Sometimes the right dog comes along at the right point in your life. They may not be The Best, but they will be Your Best.

• Like 9

I think there are dogs that set the benchmark for those that are to follow. The sort of dog that responds to your training and temperament and makes you realise that a lot more is possible than you thought . It may not be your "dog of a lifetime"but it is the one  that teaches you what sort of dog really suits your needs (and not necessarily anyone else's),the one you always remember as the turning point, and strive to emulate and improve upon with those that follow.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2

Sometimes you think you have a good dog until you actually see a proper one in action. Memories will play tricks on you and a fondness for a past dog can make you exaggerate their exploits when they were probably just average. Sometimes the best ones were frustrating Cnuts that didn't want to bond or curl up on the sofa with you and hunted for themselves and no one else. More of a useful tool than a companion but would catch more.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

Thats true, but you can only polish a turd so much. 

Sometimes the right dog comes along at the right point in your life. They may not be The Best, but they will be Your Best.

ive had some very good dogs that another would of got rid of by 13/14 months old, but by polishing a bit longer they get there. its about knowing, and allot think they know.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One good dog in a lifetime is nothing more than a romantic old wives tale.

There are enough gullible characters on here and in the game who will believe it though.

Edited by joe ox
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think those who say they've only had one good dog can't be very good dog men or women, or maybe they've only had a couple of dogs! Sure, you'll get some that are better than others, but the best dogs are always owned by people how understand what their dogs' talents are and work them to those strengths, rather than trying to force the dog to behave in a way which isn't natural for it. Like trying to force an out and out hunter to only work on the lamp, or getting a coursing bred stamina animal and moaning when it hasn't got the take off speed to take rabbits in tiny fields. And a dog only gets to be any good if it's given the maximum amount of opportunities to learn and progress anyway, and some people give up while the dog is still learning: they can't all become brilliant overnight.

• Like 3