Coming to the end of the holidays

I couldnt talk my kids into coming but me and my pals missed out on kids stuff so tend to make up for it later in life....spent some time around mid Wales this week and saw a big pillar from the road off in the distance ....that locals apparently call " Rodneys Pillar "......so what better idea than have a race to the top ?

Bit steeper than we thought we was nearly throwing up by the time we got there....but the views were certainly worth it.

IMG_9744 (2).JPG

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just got back from a  little all nighter on the wye with my 3❤can't beat the outdoors with the little uns?

Promised the little ins we could go 'camping' in the garden during school hols. You know life has changed when such an event gets your bivvy out for the first time in years! Wouldnt change it for the

we bin this week.....4 days away....cracking little site 30 miles up the road from us.....little stream running threw the campsite with rope swings across and fallen trees across it ....hire a fire pi

Posted Images

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I couldnt talk my kids into coming but me and my pals missed out on kids stuff so tend to make up for it later in life....spent some time around mid Wales this week and saw a big pillar from the road off in the distance ....that locals apparently call " Rodneys Pillar "......so what better idea than have a race to the top ?

Bit steeper than we thought we was nearly throwing up by the time we got there....but the views were certainly worth it.

IMG_9744 (2).JPG

Throwing up half way is part of the fun mate.

Last two hikes I've done, I thought I was gonna die in a screaming sweaty mess. 

I find a joint and a full hip flask greatly help the situation ?

It's been a while since I got to do this with mine. Last year we slept on the beach with bbq, the mountains etc.. this year she's back in Blighty doing more exams... Christ I miss doing the wilds with me kids lol it's a good laugh with the mates, women but never like watching yours look at something and ask a question and learn about nature. Sit around a fire as a family, something very special about it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mushroom said:

Throwing up half way is part of the fun mate.

Last two hikes I've done, I thought I was gonna die in a screaming sweaty mess. 

I find a joint and a full hip flask greatly help the situation ?

It's been a while since I got to do this with mine. Last year we slept on the beach with bbq, the mountains etc.. this year she's back in Blighty doing more exams... Christ I miss doing the wilds with me kids lol it's a good laugh with the mates, women but never like watching yours look at something and ask a question and learn about nature. Sit around a fire as a family, something very special about it.

The fun with being " spur of the moment townies " in these type of scenarios is the funny looks people with hiking boots,thermo flasks,compasses and rucksacks give 3 dosey looking ruffians wearing shorts and t shirt kneeling down in the blocks position of a 100 metre sprint at the bottom of a mountain ?

" Do you think we should of brought a bottle of water " my pal said......" no f**k it we,re fit enough....ready,steady,go " i says ?

The things people do for a bet !

Sounds like you got the right approach Mushroom....planning is key to enjoying it as opposed to just surviving ?

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Who won? ?

Well there was a bit of a stewards inquiry at the top when im stood there perched against the pillar and my pal appeared out of nowhere claiming to have been walking around taking in the view for the last 5 minutes ?

Theres 3 different routes up so i went for the most direct ( but steepest ) another lad went for the longest ( but easiest ).......the other tried to create his own and got f****n lost !

In all fairness the one who said he was taking in the views is fit as f**k it did cross my mind to ambush him and tie him to a tree......so alls fair in love and hill climbing he copped for first prize ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always get to the top first lol, weight on my back or not.... no way am I being beaten by bloody foreigners up a hill ?

Planning on a mooch tomorrow, on my Jack with the dog. It's still too hot to go high into the mountains but there's a lake I'm gonna head to that I've not seen before. So we gonna go a little higher this time.

Roll on October/November when it's cool enough to summit.

• Like 1

Take some pics if you can mate i always think theres something special about being high up like that... almost spiritual ?.....not sure id fancy anything too drastic id draw the line at mountaineering type stuff but the peace and silence when you finally reach even a small peak like this was certainly worth the effort getting there....rewarding in a way.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Take some pics if you can mate i always think theres something special about being high up like that... almost spiritual ?.....not sure id fancy anything too drastic id draw the line at mountaineering type stuff but the peace and silence when you finally reach even a small peak like this was certainly worth the effort getting there....rewarding in a way.

Check out la Molina(ski reaort), it's  3 hours by train from BCN. There's a lift that will take you to the top and a refuge/bar/hostel at the top. 21€ a night, hot showers etc and God fuuck me amazing view and loads of walking along the peaks and ridges.

If you want to get high up and see some shit. It's a place as good as any ;) Barren as fook mind lol

kie.jpg

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

That reminded me of this.

Jack O’Connor once wrote: “Sheep Hunters are Romantics, who love high places and solitude. To them the wild ram embodies the mystery and magic of the mountains, the rocky canyons, the snowy peaks, the fragrant alpine meadows, the gray slide rock, the icy dancing rolls fed by snowbank and glacier, the sweet clean air of the high places, and the sense of being alone on the top of the world with the eagles, the marmots, and the wild sheep themselves.

Not sheep country but still, Glen Coe, Scotland. A Cathedral of nature.

Glen Coe.jpg

Glen Coe2.jpg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 9
27 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Jack O’Connor once wrote: “Sheep Hunters are Romantics, who love high places and solitude. To them the wild ram embodies the mystery and magic of the mountains, the rocky canyons, the snowy peaks, the fragrant alpine meadows, the gray slide rock, the icy dancing rolls fed by snowbank and glacier, the sweet clean air of the high places, and the sense of being alone on the top of the world with the eagles, the marmots, and the wild sheep themselves.

Glen Coe.jpg

Glen Coe2.jpg

Isn't nothing like walking up a mountain, pain all the way, to summit and see and experience what you did it for. 

Mind taking my eldest up mountains from 5 years old, always complained she did on the way up, to hear the words "wow dad this was worth it" made my life and still does. Give them the bug as kids and they will never be able to escape it ;)

• Like 1

Im embarrassed to of put my soppy picture up now ?

Some breathtaking views chaps great pictures.

Socks i dont know what " the sisters " is but it looks a lot like Hainault Forest hill sprints over this way... any fighter from this area is familiar with them they are proper sickeners.

2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Glen Coe.jpg

Glen Coe2.jpg

Spectacular looking place

Didn't some campers perish up there a winter or two ago ?

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Im embarrassed to of put my soppy picture up now ?

Some breathtaking views chaps great pictures.

Socks i dont know what " the sisters " is but it looks a lot like Hainault Forest hill sprints over this way... any fighter from this area is familiar with them they are proper sickeners.

It’s part of the driver training area on Salisbury plain .... they have destroyed many a young soldier .... as a best effort starting from the left you go up and down each one and finish on the one on the furthest to the right ... obviously that’s just one way of doing them ... depending on your level of sadism there’s lots of variables to it .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Spectacular looking place

Didn't some campers perish up there a winter or two ago ?

I dunno mate but it's not country to take lightly, especially the boggy shit between the ranges.

I'd implore any outdoorsman to go and see that valley though, it's beautiful. f***ing shame it's not mine and full of stags or chamois! :laugh:

6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I dunno mate but it's not country to take lightly, especially the boggy shit between the ranges.

I'd implore any outdoorsman to go and see that valley though, it's beautiful. f***ing shame it's not mine and full of stags or chamois! :laugh:

Definitely not mate, see there was a brace of experienced climbers who fell when the snow was on 

it's a place I've wanted to go for quite some time, could imagine T Rex etc cutting about never mind Stags, but I draw the line at lumps of leather littering the place

• Haha 2