Have they ever been found

Just reading articles on dogs been stolen or lost,not many replies on weather they were found or not,it seems to be a big thing across the sea of dogs been robbed and never seen again,it happens over here aswell,some you hear about some you don't,where I live we have great big fields that hold a quiet few hares,they are well exercised from the local lads with their curs,the travellers used to pay it a visit a few years ago but not only did they visit the land for a good course for their dogs they visited the farmhouses late at night and robbed anything they could get their hands on,so the community set up a neighbour watch and when these thieves come calling they were met with a lot of angry farmers and put a stop to them one way or another.

A coupe of years ago when I was exercising my lurcher and terrier one early morning on land I have permission for I came across a saluki dog,a lovely black and tan bitch,a friendly oul thing I must say,no sign of its owner,so I took it home with me,it hadn't seen a good meal in a while for it cleaned a dish of cooked turkey which twice over,i asked around the area but no one claimed her,i informed our local dog pound that I found it and told them if by chance someone was looking for it,to get their details and proof of ownership and pass them one to me,a couple of days later a couple of travellers called to the pound looking for her,they said she was stolen out of their dog trailer which the lady in the pound found it hard to believe,she took their details and she said if it was found and brought in she would notify them on condition they could prove their ownership, she did ask them id the saluki was microchipped but they said no,

In the meantime I know a vet that has a scanner that and he scanned the dog and he found a microchip on the dog,through him we were able to trace the owner of the dog to a person in Rochdale England,i got in touch with the owner and he arranged to come over to Ireland to collect his dog,so after a  few days he arrived and we met in the village close to where I live,he produced everything from the breeders of the dog to its show name to pictures of it at different stages of its life growing up,he was the owner,and when I brought him to my house this saluki nearly jumped out of her skin with excitement  when I brought her up to greet him,this was a man in his early 60s and he was in tears at finding her,

he couldn't thank me enough and offered me a reward which I refused,he insisted but I was just happy she was reunited with her owner,we had some lunch which my good wife provided and he told me how and when she went missing,there had been travellers laying tarmacadam in a driveway two doors down from where he lived and when they finished the job they went and so did his dog,she was in his back garden one minute and gone the next,she totally vanished,he put a reward out on flyers around his area for the safe return but nothing,he said he got in touch with the people that these travellers [pikeys] were working in the house but he knew nothing as to where they were staying ,he ever went to the local police station to report the dog stolen but he said the copper was useless and just didn't want to know,,and after about 6 months he gave up,till he got a phone call from me.....I walked him with his dog to his car and he couldn't thank me enough,he again offered me a reward but again I refused as I would love if it happened to me some one out there would do the same for me,just before he drove off he gave my two kids 100 sterling between them as I I tried to give it back he drove off,he kept in touch for a while and sent me over a picture or two of his beloved dog lying on a sofa in his house like a couch potato,so all ended well for this dog owner...

so i ask you men and women out there did you or did you know anyone who had their dogs stolen weather it be lurcher or terrier or just a pet,and what was the outcome,did you ever find them or did you ever catch the theives trying to enter your property trying to steal your animals   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I always remember years ago there was a large stolen advert that ran in the cwm from time to time . 

Half a page which is quite. Size of that publication , 

a woman had had 5 or 6 saluki greyhounds nicked 

sure one had something wrong and needed medication for an ailment constantly 

how heartbreaking, wonder if they ever found them again ? 

My mate had his stolen in the 90s two lurchers and a springer spaniel  they sent a young lad up his path to steal them the springer was found near a campsite near Sheffield arena one of the lurchers was recoverd from an house in Edgeware 200 miles away from were they were stolen.

On 24/08/2019 at 00:41, Dbod said:

Just reading articles on dogs been stolen or lost,not many replies on weather they were found or not,it seems to be a big thing across the sea of dogs been robbed and never seen again,it happens over here aswell,some you hear about some you don't,where I live we have great big fields that hold a quiet few hares,they are well exercised from the local lads with their curs,the travellers used to pay it a visit a few years ago but not only did they visit the land for a good course for their dogs they visited the farmhouses late at night and robbed anything they could get their hands on,so the community set up a neighbour watch and when these thieves come calling they were met with a lot of angry farmers and put a stop to them one way or another.

A coupe of years ago when I was exercising my lurcher and terrier one early morning on land I have permission for I came across a saluki dog,a lovely black and tan bitch,a friendly oul thing I must say,no sign of its owner,so I took it home with me,it hadn't seen a good meal in a while for it cleaned a dish of cooked turkey which twice over,i asked around the area but no one claimed her,i informed our local dog pound that I found it and told them if by chance someone was looking for it,to get their details and proof of ownership and pass them one to me,a couple of days later a couple of travellers called to the pound looking for her,they said she was stolen out of their dog trailer which the lady in the pound found it hard to believe,she took their details and she said if it was found and brought in she would notify them on condition they could prove their ownership, she did ask them id the saluki was microchipped but they said no,

In the meantime I know a vet that has a scanner that and he scanned the dog and he found a microchip on the dog,through him we were able to trace the owner of the dog to a person in Rochdale England,i got in touch with the owner and he arranged to come over to Ireland to collect his dog,so after a  few days he arrived and we met in the village close to where I live,he produced everything from the breeders of the dog to its show name to pictures of it at different stages of its life growing up,he was the owner,and when I brought him to my house this saluki nearly jumped out of her skin with excitement  when I brought her up to greet him,this was a man in his early 60s and he was in tears at finding her,

he couldn't thank me enough and offered me a reward which I refused,he insisted but I was just happy she was reunited with her owner,we had some lunch which my good wife provided and he told me how and when she went missing,there had been travellers laying tarmacadam in a driveway two doors down from where he lived and when they finished the job they went and so did his dog,she was in his back garden one minute and gone the next,she totally vanished,he put a reward out on flyers around his area for the safe return but nothing,he said he got in touch with the people that these travellers [pikeys] were working in the house but he knew nothing as to where they were staying ,he ever went to the local police station to report the dog stolen but he said the copper was useless and just didn't want to know,,and after about 6 months he gave up,till he got a phone call from me.....I walked him with his dog to his car and he couldn't thank me enough,he again offered me a reward but again I refused as I would love if it happened to me some one out there would do the same for me,just before he drove off he gave my two kids 100 sterling between them as I I tried to give it back he drove off,he kept in touch for a while and sent me over a picture or two of his beloved dog lying on a sofa in his house like a couch potato,so all ended well for this dog owner...

so i ask you men and women out there did you or did you know anyone who had their dogs stolen weather it be lurcher or terrier or just a pet,and what was the outcome,did you ever find them or did you ever catch the theives trying to enter your property trying to steal your animals   

I bet it was the same tarmacking gang that nicked my mates dogs as it turned out the culprit is an habitual dog theif and I dare bet he his the cause of hundreds of stolen lurchers over the years.

A couple of years ago I read in some paper or on the web[not sure where] but it was here in Ireland,some guy had his whole kennels robbed,4 of 5 working terriers,i remember there was a very big reward for the recovery of this chaps terriers or  information to who it was that broke into his kennels,like everything it must be the worst thing ever to wake up or return home to find someone has entered your dwelling and robbed your lifes hobby.

I reckon it has to be someone that has been to your house previous weather its been a fellow hunter or a friend of these,and seen you have good stock,and then they have a buyer for your dogs and they know exactly when your home and when your not. 

Edited by Dbod