Age start your ferrets

9 hours ago, gaza said:

What age do you start working them roughly?

I would start mine off gently on warrens with just a few holes.When they get to know what to do then you can try them on the rougher warrens with lots of holes. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stoggy said:

I would start mine off gently on warrens with just a few holes.When they get to know what to do then you can try them on the rougher warrens with lots of holes. 

I put mine fairly young in a two holer I know that’s not been run in years just to get used to them getting picked up when coming out and going in definitely helps a lot and start them usually at the end of each season after there born don’t expect any decent results till year after even tho I had one that I thought was sleeping in sets but in fact was killing in at first season never any fur on claws or no blood TIL I heard a squeal in a shallow set some are better that’s others takes a bit of patience sometimes 

Picked hutch and 2 jills up tonight £40 all in made up. Jills 5 months. Hutch pretty much brand new just want to put a door on it rather than lifting the top. Not got a dog of working age and don’t shoot so dry food will have to do for now. 

3B92C441-3600-4432-BB90-E91E9E21CC61.jpeg

AC069367-8D0F-4BDF-AC65-E5C2A364C96E.jpeg

• Like 1

Six months is fine as said small places first, nice fresh burrows if you can something with a bit of scent. The way I look at it is if they were in the wild they would have to fend for them selfs at that age, its always worked for me.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

wait for the dog to mark a small sett, 2 or 3 holes ideal so you know its occupied. 5 months onwards I would say is fine. though a chap not in here now had a few kits starting at 15 weeks last year and they where fine.