The lurchers and long dogs of this day and age

2 hours ago, Blackmag said:

What dog jobi  I know you have a interest and knowledge on bulls so what do you mean 

Max, can anybody confirm that it was Scotsman's Max? It wouldn't surprise me if it was. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all.          well where do I start,here goes so I hope I don't bore you,nearly 45 years ago as a young lad growing up in the city and very little hobbies on offer for someone closing in on th

Greyhound or whippet the speedy building blocks in lurcher breeding, not forgetting the saluki, But for me what the hell is this percentages crap about genetics is not that simple it does not follow t

I was speaking to my uncul other night ,he's 92 yr old and he's forgot more than most no about lurchers and this was his words . all the xs  you see today at lurcher shows are the same as what th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Wrecking crew stuff was pie lines  , pie was genuine half cross out of a bull called max to a greyhound , think there was pye and otter ( litter sister) that made anything decent 

as for max (bull) not sure on his breeding but he was tested as bulls should be 

Was pies owner from leigh or Wigan came across him once up my neck of the woods out with dog and his lad to me it seemed an even tempered dog with bags of patience it didn't try to have a go at my 2 fawn dogs as his young son tried to ride as a donkey and fell off and banged his head much to my amusement.  I think a lad from Wigan had a brindle pup out of pie  called either bully or Bob which stood about 24 inches to shoulder a lot racier than pie but with the same head . Mind you this going back  30 to 35 + years ago .

23 hours ago, bird said:

yes/no  , ok put the time in and get them social  with other dogs from young age , it all helps . Norm  not all, as you get wimpy type temps in all breeds  x bred or pure . but a pitx grey or pit x lurcher , will take bit more stick , than other dogs. its this kicking off ,  so if they got hurt a bit, they wont back down, where as most or dogs , will have enough once there been hurt a bit. my pitx greys were good temps, never  tried it on with other dogs, i could put them in motor with strange dogs and never any trouble. my colliexs  ive had and got now,  could be bit funny with other dogs  bryn ok but shove come to push would have  a go at dog, even at fookin nearly 12 year old   the prat lol. my best temp with other dogs is deff Buck my 1x gsd x grey, he dont like to fight with other dogs, infact ive had few dogs kick off on him, he just move away from them quick , and i know if did fight back with them, he make a mess of them  , if he locked on like he does wild animal ,  good job he wimp .!

My whippet x is a c@nt for starting fights with other dogs ,he was bitten by a staff couple yrs ago so he hates them ,he was sound with any dog until that ,

my last staff bull was a lovely brindle bitch ,cracking dog and great with my kids .used to take her ferreting and ratting .must be nearly 25yr ago .

my bedy grey is great with other dogs and good around the yard and coming on well .

6 hours ago, Jobi said:

Max, can anybody confirm that it was Scotsman's Max? It wouldn't surprise me if it was. 

I was told by a lad who new the owner that the dog which was used was a black dog called max from Manchester , he had a pup out of a direct son of pie 

7 hours ago, shaaark said:

Less than 50 years sandy, I've had one of my old dogs described to me as 'one of the best rabbit dogs to come out of our area'. He was actually pretty crap at rabbits, and annoyed the f**k out of me! Lol. Chinese whispers indeed lol?

I feel ur pain

Load of bollox sometimes but not always lol 

In my case load  of bollox ✋

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

I was told by a lad who new the owner that the dog which was used was a black dog called max from Manchester , he had a pup out of a direct son of pie 

Not him then as he was a brindle dog. 

4 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Well what was it it use ful at as were talking in the past tense ?

I've only ever hunted edible game, so I never even slipped him on anything other than rabbits, hares  and deer of various sorts. And he was better than useful on stuff other than rabbits. Sounds a tad cloak and dagger, silly even, BUT, you never know who's looking in if I said he was a very good hare dog and extremely good on deer ??

33 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I've only ever hunted edible game, so I never even slipped him on anything other than rabbits, hares  and deer of various sorts. And he was better than useful on stuff other than rabbits. Sounds a tad cloak and dagger, silly even, BUT, you never know who's looking in if I said he was a very good hare dog and extremely good on deer ??

Got u furg fair play if only we was that way inclined these days ay 

Fecking law an that ?