The lurchers and long dogs of this day and age

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all.          well where do I start,here goes so I hope I don't bore you,nearly 45 years ago as a young lad growing up in the city and very little hobbies on offer for someone closing in on th

Greyhound or whippet the speedy building blocks in lurcher breeding, not forgetting the saluki, But for me what the hell is this percentages crap about genetics is not that simple it does not follow t

I was speaking to my uncul other night ,he's 92 yr old and he's forgot more than most no about lurchers and this was his words . all the xs  you see today at lurcher shows are the same as what th

Posted Images

6 hours ago, gamerooster said:

On a side note I often wonder how often the bull cross stuff you see is out of genuine bulls and not pet stuff, which maybe works for some people in regards to dog aggression but what you gain on that you lose in other areas

A few lines gamerooster bred out of decent stuff weren't noted for dog aggression as they would never of been bred from and were culls I found bullxs  loyal good to say and just wanted to please like most bulls today I would say 95 per cent are bred from pet shite as I think you would either have to be in a certain circle or very lucky for someone to put a decent bully to a greyhound any lurcher when sore or tired in the back of the van will growl or snap when stood on or lent on 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dbod said:

I agree with most of your replies lads,at the moment I own a whippet greyhound x greyhound saluki,i class her as a 3/4 bred hound with a 1/4 saluki in her,she is two years old,a demon on the lamp and can give a good strong winter hare a run for its money,she has a great success rate which I love in a lurcher as she is a pot filler,thats all she is kept for mooching with terriers lamping for rabbits or the occasional hare,she has never seen a for and hopefully she never will,....so lads what would you class her as or how would you describe whats in her makeup.  

A longdog not a lurcher being all sighthound with no pestrel blood 1/2 greyhound 1/4 whippet 1/4 saluki coursing dog 

4 hours ago, cantona said:

Why don't people be guided by percentages or fractions of a make up of lurcher, if someone says they've a type say bedlington whippet greyhound for example I would say 1/4 bedlington or half bedlington there is a big difference as I've ran both, then they might say it was a bedlington whippet put to a greyhound making it 1/4 bedlington or bedlington put to whippet greyhound making it half bedlington, percentages or fractions are important in a dogs make up in my opinion 

i think you are right mate, with above .i had 30 years ago a beddy x whippet x grey   x beddy x whippet x grey  dog, i could never get on with it , it nearly put me off lurchers for good  back then . but i did meet couple blokes over the years with straight 1x beddy x greys , and there deff a difference   temp and build   to there x , they dogs were sound i could deff get on with them type dogs . all i can think it was the whippet in the x , changed the dogs mind set  . i like whippets i had none ped bitch  great little dog for racing and rabbiting , the males down the track  hit 34 lb   and were   fiery buggers  they pile into foxes no bother  lol  . if i wanted a  beddy type i have the 1x beddy x grey , but you dont  see many bred this way now , they norm always stick whippet in there, i carnt see why really , as 1x beddyx grey are not over big dogs   22-25 in  45.60lb   bang o  for rabbits day/night   and tackle anything bigger  . 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Blackmag said:

A few lines gamerooster bred out of decent stuff weren't noted for dog aggression as they would never of been bred from and were culls I found bullxs  loyal good to say and just wanted to please like most bulls today I would say 95 per cent are bred from pet shite as I think you would either have to be in a certain circle or very lucky for someone to put a decent bully to a greyhound any lurcher when sore or tired in the back of the van will growl or snap when stood on or lent on 

When you say decent stuff, do you mean tested dogs or dogs that pulled a few things out of a hole that'd rather run than fight? On a side note do you know the bulls used in the wrecking crew stuff?

Hear a lot about the great dogs of back along, I can go back fifty years and remember a lot more shite stuff than good. Back then reputation was mainly word of mouth and we all know how Chinese whispers grow. Remember a local "legend" 1st cross saluki  I saw, supposed to be something special but saw it miss 3 in a row on stubble. He excused it saying he had caught 2 the week before lol. From that point I started to take less note of experts ?

"The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here." 

(Finley Peter Dunne) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, gamerooster said:

When you say decent stuff, do you mean tested dogs or dogs that pulled a few things out of a hole that'd rather run than fight? On a side note do you know the bulls used in the wrecking crew stuff?

Wrecking crew stuff was pie lines  , pie was genuine half cross out of a bull called max to a greyhound , think there was pye and otter ( litter sister) that made anything decent 

as for max (bull) not sure on his breeding but he was tested as bulls should be 

Scotsman Max was out of skipper ed Reid dog there was also dee and bullseye i think it was called that got pinched the dam to pye was called Maggie but some say the sire wasn't max but a dog from moss side but whoever it produced a lot of decent dogs 

Edited by Blackmag
9 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Scotsman Max was out of skipper ed Reid dog there was also dee and bullseye i think it was called that got pinched the dam to pye was called Maggie but some say the sire wasn't max but a dog from moss side but whoever it produced a lot of decent dogs 

That's if Pie was out of that particular dog that is. 

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Hear a lot about the great dogs of back along, I can go back fifty years and remember a lot more shite stuff than good. Back then reputation was mainly word of mouth and we all know how Chinese whispers grow. Remember a local "legend" 1st cross saluki  I saw, supposed to be something special but saw it miss 3 in a row on stubble. He excused it saying he had caught 2 the week before lol. From that point I started to take less note of experts ?

"The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here." 

(Finley Peter Dunne) 

Less than 50 years sandy, I've had one of my old dogs described to me as 'one of the best rabbit dogs to come out of our area'. He was actually pretty crap at rabbits, and annoyed the f**k out of me! Lol. Chinese whispers indeed lol?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

I was told the bull used was a black dog called max from Manchester but as that didn’t come from the breeder it’s only hear say , 

• Like 1