The lurchers and long dogs of this day and age

1 hour ago, poxon said:

I’ve not forgotten mate you are correct with what you say I’ve said that but That’s one of many options out there for me but can’t see me using a greyhound tbh it’s just a option for the heavy base blooded one as I’ve put my self in a good situation with the 2 I’ve got as ones racey bred an the other is heavy base blooded but more than likely there go back to a close relative but it all depends on what one is worth breeding any replacements out of they might turn out turds yet it’s still very very early days to be thinking to hard about breeding replacements so it’s all just thoughts in my ideal world I’d go back to the grand sire that’s the great grand sire to the other one but I can’t see it happening as he’s about 13 now but who knows I might need to start from scratch ??‍♂️

I'd get some straws from the old dog......never know what's around the corner......I lost my best terrier dog and 2 pertentional terrier studs in 2 seasons and had to go else where .....then the bitch lost those pups....?I had f**k all worthy to carry on......my only remaining bitch is done now?and I've lost the passion for digging if I'm honest....post-99494-0-51286800-1490534658_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all.          well where do I start,here goes so I hope I don't bore you,nearly 45 years ago as a young lad growing up in the city and very little hobbies on offer for someone closing in on th

Greyhound or whippet the speedy building blocks in lurcher breeding, not forgetting the saluki, But for me what the hell is this percentages crap about genetics is not that simple it does not follow t

I was speaking to my uncul other night ,he's 92 yr old and he's forgot more than most no about lurchers and this was his words . all the xs  you see today at lurcher shows are the same as what th

Posted Images

You will always throw back too one of the breeds you mention ie slightly more greyhound slightly more collie bull etc it's in the  DNA or Gene's.  Granted it would a ruthless breeding programme too achieve what you require but even over 20 generations you will get a throw back to a certain breed even skipping generations of pups but eventually a dog or bitch will throw back to any of the breeds mentioned . It follows the same rule as hereditary illnesses defects etc its contained in the DNA or Gene's. 

I was speaking to my uncul other night ,he's 92 yr old and he's forgot more than most no about lurchers and this was his words .

all the xs  you see today at lurcher shows are the same as what they had in 50s apart from Salukis but as a kid he remembers a fella having a brace of lurchers that looked spit of a first x grey,sal belonging to a German gypsy who's family fled the war .

he also said it's not the dogs that Chang but the folk keeping them !!

to many hobby hunters and Rosette chasers ,

as for %  i don't bother with it ,

he always says best dog is the one catching ya dinner .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Blackmag said:

I think you got the bit about the bull  xs wrong bod some of the best temperament i have seen have been bull xs because most are socialized properly from a early age yes you may get a exception to the rule but that goes for any x and most lurchers could kill a terrier 

Never had bull x lurcher but had bull breeds and iv never met a spiteful one ,.

like any dog you have to bring them up right !!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Never had bull x lurcher but had bull breeds and iv never met a spiteful one ,.

like any dog you have to bring them up right !!!

yes/no  , ok put the time in and get them social  with other dogs from young age , it all helps . Norm  not all, as you get wimpy type temps in all breeds  x bred or pure . but a pitx grey or pit x lurcher , will take bit more stick , than other dogs. its this kicking off ,  so if they got hurt a bit, they wont back down, where as most or dogs , will have enough once there been hurt a bit. my pitx greys were good temps, never  tried it on with other dogs, i could put them in motor with strange dogs and never any trouble. my colliexs  ive had and got now,  could be bit funny with other dogs  bryn ok but shove come to push would have  a go at dog, even at fookin nearly 12 year old   the prat lol. my best temp with other dogs is deff Buck my 1x gsd x grey, he dont like to fight with other dogs, infact ive had few dogs kick off on him, he just move away from them quick , and i know if did fight back with them, he make a mess of them  , if he locked on like he does wild animal ,  good job he wimp .!

4 hours ago, abrasivewheel said:

You will always throw back too one of the breeds you mention ie slightly more greyhound slightly more collie bull etc it's in the  DNA or Gene's.  Granted it would a ruthless breeding programme too achieve what you require but even over 20 generations you will get a throw back to a certain breed even skipping generations of pups but eventually a dog or bitch will throw back to any of the breeds mentioned . It follows the same rule as hereditary illnesses defects etc its contained in the DNA or Gene's. 

20 generations ain't nobody got time for that

49 minutes ago, Black neck said:

20 generations ain't nobody got time for that

I used it as an example and not too be taken to seriously. The example being that that you can not guarantee a uniform type dog as it will through DNA throw to one of the mixes in the breed sooner or later along the line . Mind you some of the claims to the breeding of some dogs made by some sellers some of these dogs lineage  date back as far back as genghis Khan 

5 minutes ago, abrasivewheel said:

I used it as an example and not too be taken to seriously. The example being that that you can not guarantee a uniform type dog as it will through DNA throw to one of the mixes in the breed sooner or later along the line . Mind you some of the claims to the breeding of some dogs made by some sellers some of these dogs lineage  date back as far back as genghis Khan 

been on then phone to j.burrell too have you pal...

• Haha 1

Why don't people be guided by percentages or fractions of a make up of lurcher, if someone says they've a type say bedlington whippet greyhound for example I would say 1/4 bedlington or half bedlington there is a big difference as I've ran both, then they might say it was a bedlington whippet put to a greyhound making it 1/4 bedlington or bedlington put to whippet greyhound making it half bedlington, percentages or fractions are important in a dogs make up in my opinion 

I agree with most of your replies lads,at the moment I own a whippet greyhound x greyhound saluki,i class her as a 3/4 bred hound with a 1/4 saluki in her,she is two years old,a demon on the lamp and can give a good strong winter hare a run for its money,she has a great success rate which I love in a lurcher as she is a pot filler,thats all she is kept for mooching with terriers lamping for rabbits or the occasional hare,she has never seen a for and hopefully she never will,....so lads what would you class her as or how would you describe whats in her makeup.  

1 hour ago, abrasivewheel said:

I know mate was just having a nobble 

Bless up

11 minutes ago, Dbod said:

I agree with most of your replies lads,at the moment I own a whippet greyhound x greyhound saluki,i class her as a 3/4 bred hound with a 1/4 saluki in her,she is two years old,a demon on the lamp and can give a good strong winter hare a run for its money,she has a great success rate which I love in a lurcher as she is a pot filler,thats all she is kept for mooching with terriers lamping for rabbits or the occasional hare,she has never seen a for and hopefully she never will,....so lads what would you class her as or how would you describe whats in her makeup.  

I'd class her as half hound, 1/4 saluki 1/4 whippet. But full hound, seeing as whippets, salukis and greyhounds are all hounds ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1