Harsh winter ???

Don’t know if anyone follows the old adage that lots of fruit ? and berry,s means a harsh winter is coming, I do to a degree but also accept there are many variables such as rainfall etc,  this morning I saw this laying down across a path in the woods so it’s either going to be a cold winter or a lot of sloe gin/vodka winter either one is winner winner to me ??

B11A9508-A049-4FF2-A786-02692B73FB25.jpeg

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nature has all the the answers to mans modern problems we just have to look, so you are correct, everything god makes is constructive nearly everything man makes is destructive. A quote by victor sher

Tomato plants are five feet and no fruits really but the other tomato plants are bud heavy

I could be way off the mark as I sometimes forget my own name but I think it may be 250g sugar and same sloes to a litre of spirit and don’t wait for the frost to pick em just stick them in the freeze

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Every year recently is ment to be a harsh winter but I'd follow nature's way of letting us know rather then the bloody media!! 

Last years bumper fruit harvest was more to do with the lack of rainfall we had than the winter we got after I think, plants attempt to reproduce if they think they are going to die, I saw a lot of trees shedding whole branch,s last year which seemed strange until I looked it up and it’s a standard tactic to conserve water during times of drought, nature does have all the answers we have just forgot how to read and understand them ✌️

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

what did facebook say?

Stay in and chat to your  imaginary mates you have never met you sado ???? having never been on there that’s just my own interpretation of what it might have said sorry ?

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Last years bumper fruit harvest was more to do with the lack of rainfall we had than the winter we got after I think, plants attempt to reproduce if they think they are going to die, I saw a lot of trees shedding whole branch,s last year which seemed strange until I looked it up and it’s a standard tactic to conserve water during times of drought, nature does have all the answers we have just forgot how to read and understand them ✌️

Nature has all the the answers to mans modern problems we just have to look, so you are correct, everything god makes is constructive nearly everything man makes is destructive. A quote by victor sherburgur who invented the rapulsine turbine which gave out light n heat from nothing

• Like 4

I'm more of the way of thinking that is the way the bush/tree has been treated than the way is going to be treated. So if conditions are just right and there are loads of Bees around it fruits well.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Balaur said:

I'm gonna get my boys picking sloes this year make a nice batch of gin. Hopefully find a decent stick too always wanted one but never found the right one.

Good little tickle if you do make sloe gin, after you have strained all your sloes from the gin chuck the pulp that’s left in a gallon of scrumpy it tastes lovely and blows your socks off you just leave it in for a few weeks then strain it again ??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could be way off the mark as I sometimes forget my own name but I think it may be 250g sugar and same sloes to a litre of spirit and don’t wait for the frost to pick em just stick them in the freezer to split the skins as soon as they look ready ??

• Like 3

Ingredients

12oz of fruit (350g)
3 oz of caster sugar (75g)
1 bottle of gin (75cl)
A small dash of almond essence
A couple of jam jars with good, tight-fitting lids (sterilized and cooled preferably)
A jelly bag
Decorative bottles for eventual storage

– – –

• Wash the sloes in warm water, and remove (or drown!) any hitchhikers in insect form that may have made their way to the sink.
  • Using a sturdy needle (such as a darning needle) prick each fruit a few times, and divide the spoils between the two jam jars.
  • Put half the sugar and half the gin (or as much as will fit) into each jar.
  • Add a couple of drops of the almond essence to each one.
  • Close the lids tightly and store in a cool, dry, dark place.
  • Give the jars a good shake each day, until all of the sugar has dissolved.
  • Leave to mature for at least three months – but don’t let the fruit spoil, so no more than six.
  • Taste for sweetness, and add sugar if necessary/preferred.
  • Continue the ‘daily shakes’ until all of the newly added sugar has dissolved.
  • Carefully strain all the liquid through a jelly bag and decant into decorative bottles. (Don’t forget to label!).

Read more at https://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drink/how-to-make-perfect-sloe-gin-27312#TkHBxRYk05bUQ3Va.99

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A lot more complex than my efforts,  I mean prick each fruit with a needle several times and what the fecks  a jelly bag ? when it’s finished I just put it back in the bottles it come from, ?

I wouldn't do this way either to be honest. 

I just freeze the sloes till the sink is split on them, then just add the sugar and what ever alcohol you like.

I use vodka and white rum, leave in a dark press for about 6 weeks. 

Strain the fruit, put it back into the jar and top it up again with cider, leave again for a couple of weeks. A nice drink.

I have done this with cherries, blackberries and blueberries. With some fresh chillie slices add as well for flavour. 

Atb Sox