Which Calibre

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t know if any of you lads would be interested but I’ve just got myself a lovely pair of boots for when I’m out with the .17, for me if I’m not styling it right when out shooting then I might as

I love a .17 I find the ammo fits very well  in my handbag ?

I know mate but it would be a laugh ?  and I bet Walshie and stav will be up your way in a hour depending on traffic ??

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David.evans said:

Fuc me Walshie what’s wrong with you lately I’m starting to worry about you mate 

17 no good ! Lol ? 

atb 

43 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I love a .17 I find the ammo fits very well  in my handbag ?

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mine blends in beautifully with my camo frock ?

As if to underline my point.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, Alsone said:

I think it just depends on how much your prepared to spend on ammo and whether you intend to just control or eat your prey.

.17hmr had a lot of ammo issues but these appears resolved (very mysterious anyway given the case was just a necked .22 WMR case and the parent had no issues). So .17hmr has to be a candidate because of the extended range over the .22's and cheap ammo (@£17 per 100).

If your ammo costs are less vital, the Hornet extends that out to 200+yds for fox but at an ammo cost similar to most larger centre fires (£22 for 25).

If you're going further, then .204 Ruger will kill fox at long range and pretty much vaporise any smaller prey, but at a cost similar to Hornet (@£22 per 20).

If you're shooting below 150yds, then a straight pull HMR rifle is a good choice in my opinion given wsm hasn't penetrated the UK market to any extent, has had ammo issues and currently it's ammo costs a fortune due to low take up.

Something than no one has stated yet, is that what ammo is sold off the shelf at your local shops ?   Also it depends on how many rounds you expect to use and how dèp your pocket is.  A 22lr was considered a powerful calibre until centrefires became common.  Dead is dead and over the years I've shot more foxes with my 22lr than anything else.  It depends on how good a shot you are.

9 hours ago, walshie said:

You can get PPU 22 hornet ammo for £60 a 100.

Don;t get a 17 cal. They're strictly for homosexuals or people having gender reassignment. 

I'm not a fan of the 1.7.

• Like 1

I don’t know if any of you lads would be interested but I’ve just got myself a lovely pair of boots for when I’m out with the .17, for me if I’m not styling it right when out shooting then I might as well stay in with a face pack on and a glass of fizz ??

7DC90419-3485-4A80-BAF1-977605480933.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
40 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I don’t know if any of you lads would be interested but I’ve just got myself a lovely pair of boots for when I’m out with the .17, for me if I’m not styling it right when out shooting then I might as well stay in with a face pack on and a glass of fizz ??

Phoarrrrr ?

Bet you can see over the hedges in them mate ?

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Fuc me lads this thread gets worse, you lot wanna book a hotel and all meet up , lol 

? and take your 1.7 ammo with you 

SD 

wear them boots with you trench mac on ?

Dave, that is just so wrong on many levels!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Meece said:

Something than no one has stated yet, is that what ammo is sold off the shelf at your local shops ?   Also it depends on how many rounds you expect to use and how dèp your pocket is.  A 22lr was considered a powerful calibre until centrefires became common.  Dead is dead and over the years I've shot more foxes with my 22lr than anything else.  It depends on how good a shot you are.

Valid points and many calibres suggested here from .22lr to 22-250 (maybe more).  I certainly take a lot more foxes with my rimfires than my centrefires!

The HMR delivers cracking performance/accuracy/energy and terminal ballistics.   The down side is STILL the ammo itself, although I understand improvements have been made (I don't have a clue HOW they may have improved it).

Second choice for me is the WMR, but I have never seen it as a rabbit/crow type of calibre, HMR sits better there for me, and with the marginal edge on accuracy and flight path of the 17g V-Max HMR compared to the 30g V-Max WMR, I stay with the HMR overall.  As I've said previously, if it was simply Fox, WMR would edge it over HMR for me!

If it must be centrefire then Hornet 17 or possibly .22, but I simply don't see them as serious contenders.

Everyone has an opinion, as is evident from this thread.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

It's a double bluff. "Just got yourself." You've had them for ages as they come free with 17hmr ammo. 

On 28/08/2019 at 09:01, Meece said:

Everyone has a preference but there's little difference between a .17 and a .22 Hornet other than the .17 flies flatter and further.  There's not many mice that get back up and complain they only got shot by a .17. As for .17 hmr, past case issues aside, it's far more explosive and delivers more energy than .22lr or .22 WMR and has more range, 22 is quieter. It's swings and roundabouts. However, to portray .17's as inferior is wrong. They are no more inferior than Hmr to Lr in rim, or .204 to .22 cf variants in CF, and now those splash issues are solved, especially with a slightly higher bullet weights, I'd take a .204 over almost any other .22 calibre. 

I sometimes think there's a an obsession with having the bigger the bullet. Have to wonder if maybe some .22 shooters have inadequacies elsewhere. Better get my boots as no such issues here. Thanks for the pics Sausage. They should go nicely with my sausage. Just a question of what to wear on my feet now. :)

Edited by Alsone