Small holding - where to start???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I have finally achieved my life long goal of owning a piece of land. I'm now the owner of 27 acres of neglected scrub. It's mostly willow and bramble with a few oak and ash saplings coming through

@Tyla few yrs on now, how is progress? I'm just at the start of our plans. Have about 0.25acre at home which we intend to use for chickens(eggs and meat), couple pigs every yr and few vegs. Also got a

Been cutting and burning over the last couple of weekends, the ground is too wet for any vehicle access so it has been a case of walking in with a chainsaw and a lighter. It's been very therapeutic ac

Posted Images

6 hours ago, tandors said:

Think its knepp estate you're thinking of, they've got some stuff on youtube that might be of interest and would probably be the route I'd go down if I was in possession of a sizeable piece of land.

Yeah that is it. Its a good place to work

I want to say a massive thank you to Rabid. He drove all the way down with his digger to give me a hand for a couple of days. If was perfect timing as the recent rains had flooded the place and the ditches were not coping at all. We replaced a culvert and cleaned out an epic amount of leaves from the ditches and the results were immediate.

I really appreciate the help and the advice was invaluable too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tyla said:

I want to say a massive thank you to Rabid. He drove all the way down with his digger to give me a hand for a couple of days. If was perfect timing as the recent rains had flooded the place and the ditches were not coping at all. We replaced a culvert and cleaned out an epic amount of leaves from the ditches and the results were immediate.

I really appreciate the help and the advice was invaluable too.

No problem fella, was a couple of days R+R for me.

i don’t forget when someone helps me, it’s nice to be able to return the favour.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Rabid said:

No problem fella, was a couple of days R+R for me.

i don’t forget when someone helps me, it’s nice to be able to return the favour.

Bring that digger down here when you come , I’ll find something to keep you occupied ...well done mate ..  

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

@Tyla few yrs on now, how is progress? I'm just at the start of our plans. Have about 0.25acre at home which we intend to use for chickens(eggs and meat), couple pigs every yr and few vegs. Also got a couple acre less than a mile away that we lease so plan to expand onto there aswell. We were considering pygmy goats for dairy but need to arrange for someone to cover milking at times we are away before we look at that more, last thing I need to end up with is pet goats that arent producing! 

Baby steps at the moment but making a small start. Some raised beds and eggs in incubator, these are due to hatch in next few days. 

Got a piece of land going through solicitors at the minute, adjacent and adjoined to our garden. It's 7.5m wide by 25m long, full of bramble (other side of fence behind my lad in the photo) so that's where I'm planning on putting some pigs to deal with that.

Noticed a few responded to this thread with similar smallholdings etc, would defintely be good to keep this one going!

20230702_161547.jpg

20230614_190238.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

They have now outgrown their second brooder and making to much noise so have been moved to the shed!

Got another dozen in incubator, looks like only 6 have fertilised this time.

After that turkey eggs going in for Xmas 

And possibly pigs coming soon.

20230720_193934.jpg

20230720_193332.jpg

20230720_193006.jpg

20230720_192032.jpg

20230720_192023.jpg

• Like 2

Applied for CPH today for the pigs/goats. Jobs for the weekend:

- Make chicken run frame (future poly tunnel) and work or roosts/nest boxes in the chicken shed

- If get time start clearing the new bit of land for the pigs