Rabbit decline

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst there’s no doubt that hunting rabbits all year round, night vision and excessive hunting have had a negative impact on rabbit numbers those things pale into insignificance compared to RVHD2. Th

I think disease is the biggest killer. I think it was 4 or 5 years ago some thing swept through and now with in a 4 mile radius. Th bulk of them have gone. It really decimated them and they haven't co

Been saying the rabbits are declining  for ages , to many predators and to many people killing them in the summer .

Posted Images

years ago Lincolnshire was the promised land to East Midlands lads like me. you would see them on grass verges, roundabouts etc. plenty run over. I went to the coast early new years day and didn't see a single rabbit run over or sat on the verges, what a sad state it is. 

On 19/08/2019 at 15:22, Greyman said:

My uncle used to breed rabbits for meat during ww2 and when I,ve moved and got settled I,m tempted to start a breed and release campaign I think you can get pet bunny injected against some of the viruses so a few immune bunny’s released around the place may hopefully help out on a local level ?

I’ve had that thought, my mates bird keeps pet rabbits and she’s had them done. I thought a few of them released wouldn’t hurt

7 hours ago, TOMO said:

funny you say that....I was just thinking about that yesterday....where I walk my dogs round these fields ....every spring you can see where the bills dig out the kits....on some warrens you can see that the does breed in the same tunnels year on year....cos some of the spots the billy have dug down are in the exact same place year after year

The rise of the buzzards and badgers has certainly coincided with the demise of the rabbit around me. When I was a kid there were rabbits everywhere but birds of prey were a rarity and badgers the same. The tables have turned now!

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

d

rove down that lane many times micky.....brings back a few memories.....any idea when that pic was took

Around  85  did you ever lamp around  Saltby along the Railway lines it was lousy with Rabbits then,  those Rabbits came through the Fences but on the lamp the could not get back , Gunby  was good as well !had some good lamping there back in the day