Fitness conditioning

Iv just been road walkin mine the last few weeks when it's been cool enough n also down the beach or river swimming n been doing some doggin in the last week there not fit but about how I'd want them to be ready to start the new season..

i keep mine in fittish condition through out the summer, beginning of August I start putting more time in, longer walks, bit of running with them, do long memory retrieves on the beach with them, my main one is getting them retrieving dummies out of a fast flowing channel, gets there body working hard even if the temperature are high, 

6 hours ago, Baz2 said:

i keep mine in fittish condition through out the summer, beginning of August I start putting more time in, longer walks, bit of running with them, do long memory retrieves on the beach with them, my main one is getting them retrieving dummies out of a fast flowing channel, gets there body working hard even if the temperature are high, 

What type of thing you do mate? Just lead walking? What distance / time?

Ive not done much with mine previously but he’s coming up 15 months now and needs some more fitness. 

I was up early this morning and we did a big walk round the block at a brisk pace and then did 3 separate bouts of stopping at some cover and hunting intensely for a bit. 

im lucky enough to live on the beach, so my dogs are all free walked, no need for leads..they get quick 15 minute walk before work, and of an evening, could be anything between 1-3hrs, depending  How far I can be arsed walking,now that I'm getting them in condition, I'll do more intense stuff , I'll give them 1/2 mile memory retrieves, then few quick short ones, anything really, to get there lungs working, if I do bike work( once dark nights are in) I have them trotting along side bike for an hour

3 hours ago, Baz2 said:

im lucky enough to live on the beach, so my dogs are all free walked, no need for leads..they get quick 15 minute walk before work, and of an evening, could be anything between 1-3hrs, depending  How far I can be arsed walking,now that I'm getting them in condition, I'll do more intense stuff , I'll give them 1/2 mile memory retrieves, then few quick short ones, anything really, to get there lungs working, if I do bike work( once dark nights are in) I have them trotting along side bike for an hour

Jesus 1/2 mile memory... long walk back if the dog forgets Baz lol 

• Haha 1

I’m lucky that my spaniel is obsessed with retrieving and would happily spend hours just retrieving,to be fair she craves for the retrieve  , so I do lot retrieving and mooching abut with her while it’s cool , also do a lot of water retrieves with a heavy dummy to get her realy pushing in the water , I don’t let her get fat through the summer I keep her in decent shape, I don’t realy see point letting them get fat through summer as it’s just more work to get her back in shape 

• 4 months later...
On 18/08/2019 at 17:47, dodger said:

Iv just been road walkin mine the last few weeks when it's been cool enough n also down the beach or river swimming n been doing some doggin in the last week there not fit but about how I'd want them to be ready to start the new season..

Is that just walked next to you on the lead mate? How long / far is that for?

23 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is that just walked next to you on the lead mate? How long / far is that for?

They've been out 3 n 4 times a week through the season mate iv only missed one day all the way through, this week it's Monday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday so with all that work I don't really walk them I need them to rest and eat when ever possible for them, in the off season it's always different, usually road walks n a bit of mooching if it's cool enough and if not they can go for a swim, if it's to warm il not bother, it's not often I use a lead with them tbf..