Am looking for a nice small gamey patterdale terrier to cover a small jack russell

Dbod

Hi all,

I am on the lookout for a small patterdale to cover a gamey Russell bitch for a friend of mine,this Russell is used just for the cover and has a great tongue and nose,she is not big enough for a fox but has bolted many for lurchers,she is roughly about 7 to 8 inches tall and has been bred from worker to worker,she has only come into season now so I am advertising for a stud,must be in Ireland .thanks for looking.. 

• Like 1

Lads I had them many years ago,they were the best at that time,i had a small rough Russell bitch,she was very game,she would hunt cover all day and if by chance she put a fox to ground she had no problem going in after it,as I said she was small but she was a sounder as I called her,i crossed her with a friends patterdale dogma very hard dog and at that time his patterdale looked like it had a bit of bull in him,he was as hard as nails,no backing off from anything,but he was a hospital case as he was laided up for about 6 weeks after every outing,so we put the two together and I got 3 red Russell x patterdales, first cross,they inherited gameness from both sides,were rough coated and also had some brain and would chance a grab at anything under ground,and the best sounders I ever had weather it be on rabbit of fox,and they were a slight bit bigger than the Russell but not as big as the patterdale,,I had many years of enjoyment out of this breed when I was a youngfellow and with terrier and lurcher by my side on a day trip I rearly went home with a few bunnies for the pot,another trait that they had and I know I will get a lot of negative replies to this,but the Russell bitch and her offspring could be called off their prey underground,if they were to deep or were deep and under tree roots it was great to be able to call them out and move on,rather than spend all day digging down and around roots to get to your terrier,i remember once I was out with my mate that owned the stud to my Russell and we put him to ground at a earth that looked not too deep,the locator at that time was a 16 ft box and we picked up the dog at 12 ft,we spent the whole digging down only to find the dog had gone as far as he could fit himself in and the fox had continued on up a small rabbit borrow about 5 ft,which was a waste of a days digging and nothing to show for out hard earned work,

• Like 2

On 18/08/2019 at 22:38, Flacko said:

Good luck mate , why you need patterdale wouldn’t any terrier suit you for cover & bushing or you want to try & get something for earth work out the bitch atb Flacko 

22 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Those little bolting Russells are what most want over here.I'd be trying to keep a line of them going,or get into digging dogs separately.By crossing with a patterdale you are just going to get inferior earth dogs or a pain in the ass bushing dog.

lads the bitch is very small,she is gamey but no match for Charlie,putting a patterdale to her would improve her pups size and give her pups better strength from head to toe,

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Flacko said:

Dbod how old is your bitch &  would you travel over water to line her atb Flacko 

The bitch is roughly 2 1/2 years old,i wouldn't travel over seas for a service for her but thanks for the offer,hopefully I can get something small and gamey over here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my quest in looking for a nice small gamey patterdale  stud for my small Russell bitch,i have come across some monsters out there,a lot over here are crossing them to pits and producing very hard ground dogs,a lot I have seen are hospital cases,one day out and 6 weeks laid up till the wounds heal.can I ask you lads,is the patterdale not as game as they once were that you have to cross them to pits to produce very very hard terriers

45 minutes ago, Dbod said:

In my quest in looking for a nice small gamey patterdale  stud for my small Russell bitch,i have come across some monsters out there,a lot over here are crossing them to pits and producing very hard ground dogs,a lot I have seen are hospital cases,one day out and 6 weeks laid up till the wounds heal.can I ask you lads,is the patterdale not as game as they once were that you have to cross them to pits to produce very very hard terriers

Think people add pit as they see it as a quick fix foe eg .. someone has an small digging bitch but she lacks the minerals to stay till duh , idiots think by adding pit to her her pups will make harder bigger dogs , whe realy what they should do if bitch hasn’t made grade is to source a pup from stock that is working properly but instead sentiment takes over and they breed out there paterdale birch and end up with a litter of culls with a lot of wasteage , pups combing out to big to get to there quarry some pups been spanable  but  to hard for there own good some pups taking after dam and just not staying , 

plenty of good honest terriers out there there if you no where to look and take your time but every tom dick and harry on an estate as a pit bull type so easily sourced 

8 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Think people add pit as they see it as a quick fix foe eg .. someone has an small digging bitch but she lacks the minerals to stay till duh , idiots think by adding pit to her her pups will make harder bigger dogs , whe realy what they should do if bitch hasn’t made grade is to source a pup from stock that is working properly but instead sentiment takes over and they breed out there paterdale birch and end up with a litter of culls with a lot of wasteage , pups combing out to big to get to there quarry some pups been spanable  but  to hard for there own good some pups taking after dam and just not staying , 

plenty of good honest terriers out there there if you no where to look and take your time but every tom dick and harry on an estate as a pit bull type so easily sourced 

I think your right there Elchapo,i think when some are looking to improve on a working bitch they are looking in the wrong direction,i came across a chap in co louth Ireland that had a nice looking wheaton terrier bitch and as he said to me to improve its bloodlines he put a pit across her to put more gameness into the breed,which I disagreed with him,i myself think the wheaton itself is game enough and you don't need any other type of terrier to improve it 

53 minutes ago, Dbod said:

I think your right there Elchapo,i think when some are looking to improve on a working bitch they are looking in the wrong direction,i came across a chap in co louth Ireland that had a nice looking wheaton terrier bitch and as he said to me to improve its bloodlines he put a pit across her to put more gameness into the breed,which I disagreed with him,i myself think the wheaton itself is game enough and you don't need any other type of terrier to improve it 

I’m no expert but if someone had a Weaton and they had to add pit blood to it surely the bitch wasn’t worth breeding .? 

38 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I’m no expert but if someone had a Weaton and they had to add pit blood to it surely the bitch wasn’t worth breeding .? 

I think it might be a phase they are going through in their life,the chap that brought me to his kennels told me that the wheaton was very good at the job it does.

30 minutes ago, Dbod said:

I think it might be a phase they are going through in their life,the chap that brought me to his kennels told me that the wheaton was very good at the job it does.

Yes people seem to think the pit bloods the holy grail ,

where as others feel that if you have to add it , the terriers not worth breeding from ?  

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Yes people seem to think the pit bloods the holy grail ,

where as others feel that if you have to add it , the terriers not worth breeding from ?  

I agree,the pit I think should be only used over the greyhound as I have heard very good stories of that cross and they excel in the work that they are used for.

• Like 1