AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SOMETHING WHICH COULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

At the time , the countryside alliance march was the biggest of its type 

instead of listening to the masses of genuine countryside people 

labour accepted the 1 million quid donation from the lACS and a bill from an mp with the moral compass of a rattlesnake and made us all history 

what’s changed since then ? 

f**k all except Diane Abbott’s haircut 

• Like 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And if that's your excuse for sitting back and doing nothing, while the antis take away the few remaining freedoms you have. Or if it helps in some way to salve your conscience, then that's your own p

Two Crows, I fully appreciate what you’re saying and that your not advocating that we do nothing either. Nor do I have any doubts about whether you’ve done your fair share in the past and I take my ha

went to all the marches, I have written to my mp, i have done partitions on line, and I still got banned, we stood with the hunts and got banned, yet they hunt on, if government want it gone its gone,

6 hours ago, two crows said:

not under the act as it stands, if every thing gets protection  in law like badgers, then that's that, but if they want that no amount of protests will stop them like all the other stuff never stop blair. they order an enquiry at vast cost and then ignore it if it is not what they want. I will just add to this by saying I am not advocating doing nothing, merely stating how important the powers that be think we are.

Two Crows, I fully appreciate what you’re saying and that your not advocating that we do nothing either. Nor do I have any doubts about whether you’ve done your fair share in the past and I take my hat off to you for that too. But with all due respect, I have to disagree with you about us not being able to change or influence things, and if I might I’ll give you one such example of several, which as a terrierman is very close to my heart.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 covers amongst many other things tail docking. This proposed Bill was at a very advanced stage, it had had gone through all the various processes, public consultation, written submissions, committee hearings etc, etc and had now reached the “Government White Paper” stage.

For those not familiar with the term, “White Papers” are defined as being “Policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. They are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned”. In my world that translates as “Discussions are all over, this is what we’re doing.”

Following on from the publication of the White Paper, the NWTF attended a meeting in London with DEFRA officials, alongside a range of other interested parties from all sides, which from memory included RSPCA, LACS, BASC, CA, Kennel Club, the British Veterinary Association and others. The meeting opened with us being told “The Minister (Elliot Morley) was totally opposed to cosmetic mutilation, but also recognised there were very genuine reasons, based upon animal welfare grounds, why certain breeds of gundogs should be exempted from the Bill’s proposed tail docking ban.” That meant everything else was out of the frame, including working terriers.

I won’t bore you with the blow by blow details, but what I will say is that during that meeting the NWTF put forward a very strong case why working terriers should also be exempt. That was the Tuesday, that night when we got home there was an email thanking us for our contribution and inviting to a further meeting in London on the Thursday. On Thursday we were informed working terrier would also be exempt from the ban.

I’m not suggesting we can win every battle and I know we’ve all had our setbacks, but it’s a fact that you’ll never know unless you try.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

P.S. It's not as if I've nothing better to do with my time, my garage clear out is now 24 years overdue (as I was reminded this morning) ?

P.P.S. I found this document in the Scottish Parliament archives, it's pretty much the same arguments we put forward in relation to tail docking at the meeting with DEFRA. Unfortunately in Scotland we were less successful, but at least we gave it a shot.

http://www.parliament.scot/S5_Environment/Meeting Papers/050_National_Working_Terrier_Federation.pdf

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

They didn’t want us at the party in the first place 

and , no I wouldn’t as to be honest the packs take the piss while it’s lads with terriers and lurchers picking up the conviction rates 

These are some serious times brother 

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

At the time , the countryside alliance march was the biggest of its type 

instead of listening to the masses of genuine countryside people 

labour accepted the 1 million quid donation from the lACS and a bill from an mp with the moral compass of a rattlesnake and made us all history 

what’s changed since then ? 

f**k all except Diane Abbott’s haircut 

I was at that March you may have spotted me I were wearing green 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Barrie said:

Two Crows, I fully appreciate what you’re saying and that your not advocating that we do nothing either. Nor do I have any doubts about whether you’ve done your fair share in the past and I take my hat off to you for that too. But with all due respect, I have to disagree with you about us not being able to change or influence things, and if I might I’ll give you one such example of several, which as a terrierman is very close to my heart.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 covers amongst many other things tail docking. This proposed Bill was at a very advanced stage, it had had gone through all the various processes, public consultation, written submissions, committee hearings etc, etc and had now reached the “Government White Paper” stage.

For those not familiar with the term, “White Papers” are defined as being “Policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. They are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned”. In my world that translates as “Discussions are all over, this is what we’re doing.”

Following on from the publication of the White Paper, the NWTF attended a meeting in London with DEFRA officials, alongside a range of other interested parties from all sides, which from memory included RSPCA, LACS, BASC, CA, Kennel Club, the British Veterinary Association and others. The meeting opened with us being told “The Minister (Elliot Morley) was totally opposed to cosmetic mutilation, but also recognised there were very genuine reasons, based upon animal welfare grounds, why certain breeds of gundogs should be exempted from the Bill’s proposed tail docking ban.” That meant everything else was out of the frame, including working terriers.

I won’t bore you with the blow by blow details, but what I will say is that during that meeting the NWTF put forward a very strong case why working terriers should also be exempt. That was the Tuesday, that night when we got home there was an email thanking us for our contribution and inviting to a further meeting in London on the Thursday. On Thursday we were informed working terrier would also be exempt from the ban.

I’m not suggesting we can win every battle and I know we’ve all had our setbacks, but it’s a fact that you’ll never know unless you try.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

P.S. It's not as if I've nothing better to do with my time, my garage clear out is now 24 years overdue (as I was reminded this morning) ?

P.P.S. I found this document in the Scottish Parliament archives, it's pretty much the same arguments we put forward in relation to tail docking at the meeting with DEFRA. Unfortunately in Scotland we were less successful, but at least we gave it a shot.

http://www.parliament.scot/S5_Environment/Meeting Papers/050_National_Working_Terrier_Federation.pdf

may I just say with all due respect, my garage is the same, and if you going to come on the running dog section more often, can you please change your avatar, that one makes me feel sick, atb

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, two crows said:

may I just say with all due respect, my garage is the same, and if you going to come on the running dog section more often, can you please change your avatar, that one makes me feel sick, atb

My apologies and I agree it does look a bit bad.... Originally it was one of the Tony B'Liar set of posters we did for the Marches and Demos, but the THL Avatar gizmo seems to crop it down and mainly leaves his sickly grin ?

Kindest Regards - Barrie ?

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, two crows said:

Just had a look it's set off my eczema