12g hushpower.

I had a chance of getting an old but very tidy hushpower today on a Pedretti action. The dealer even let me try it around the back as I am very particular about fit and point of impact. It was spot on.

Lousy weather wasn't going to stop me scaring some pigeons so I dug out the old full length cattleman and set to.

Slightly louder than the 410 but still in no way intrusive I pulled some decent shots off. Built between 87&90 with very little rust and a few dings in the wood. It's a folder unfortunately but it's also a bargain that I got it for.

While there I picked an old box of Eley alphamax 1&1/4oz AAA just because and I spied some victory minimag #3 40g. And some Eley maximum BB.  Anyone remember them?

A quick snap. It's been gozzing it down all day here!

IMG_20190816_201931.jpg.bd1c55c8603c66621c14d73e10056d1d.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s a proper cannon that mr sausage, is it not to quite for scaring pigeons, I was given a load of them victory mini mags and I’ve found that the squirrels hate them ?

Well yes but I can keep scaring them as it don't over scare them ?

36 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Well yes but I can keep scaring them as it don't over scare them ?

Arrr, good point, you don’t want to over scare them, I’m sure there’s something in the general license about taking the scaring of birds to far, I think there comes a point when it’s more humane to shoot them

• Like 1

And then it all went wrong!

It started mis firing yesterday. It went from 100% on Friday to zero yesterday!

It would fire a cartridge on the second strike of the pin.

All investigations point to the hammer spring going weak. There is no issue with the pin that is apart from it operating at an angle to the cartridge and not in the center of the primer, that in itself will make it very susceptible to any weakness in the hammer strike. Even the the sound of it is weak!

If I preload the original spring it returns to about 75% reliability so I have orderd some spring of the same dimensions but much longer so I can cut at least 10mm longer to try.

It is a feeble spring, just 1mm x 5mm x 50mm in length. My Mrs knicker elastic is stronger!

The only worry is I had to order it from China!! Knowing my luck it will have a hi content of rubber in the steel!!

Oh well.......