Child’s shotgun

12 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

My son, soon to be 11 seems keen on shooting some clays. I was thinking of seeing if he could handle my 12 bore, but don’t want to put him off. If anyone has some experience/advice I’d love to hear it. 

Cheers Dave

get him on a 20 bore , 1st  no rush , let him get used to that 1st.

17 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

Thanks @bird can you get 20 bores to fit a child without it costing the earth, or will a standard one work? 

should think you get nice 2nd hand gun for your lad , not over expensive , best to shop about, you never know somebody on here might help you. i shoot 686 , but did have silver pigeon 20bore, was great gun, you deff got to have your eye in with 20, a 12 bit more leeway , i was better with me 12 lol, but 20 nice to carry about there not heavy .

Thanks for the reply’s, I’ve booked him in for a half hour lesson, see what he thinks. Then if he’s hooked (fingers crossed, love for him to be my shooting buddy) I’ll measure him up and have a look at guns. I like the idea of a semi auto. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It the boys birthday tomorrow and I’ve picked him up a new 28g kofs youth stock with 26in barrels. Other than some real nasty nails, seconded hand o/u youth stock 28g weren’t much less than a new one after having to either drive to collect or have it transferred. I also want it to be something he would take pride in owning. 

I also picked my self up a small present 

48670472141_4f30db3739_b.jpg

48670637152_e6cf48b721_b.jpg

AYA #4, just because I liked it, and it wasn’t lots of money ?

Edited by Dave_4
  • Like 4

We picked up a new single shot Yildiz 410 for our youngest.  Got the gunsmith to fit it, chop the stock down a little and found it a super wee first gun.  The accuracy needed with the 410 has taught him some great discipline - and handily it folds down into my game jacket pocket so I now have it as a close-in shottie when out on the rabbits with a rifle ;o)

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

He’s got the kofs 28g o/u

I wish you luck with it for the lad.

My local gunshop bought a load of Kofs in various calibres (but not 28 gauge).

A lot of lads in my game syndicate bought 410s from him because we have a charity 410 day every year. The proceeds of which go to a local kids hospice. It's a couple of grand each year.

Unfortunately most had missfire problems, which was resolved by shortening the firing pin spring, this was only on 410 variants by the way. So if it starts playing up maybe suggest to the rfd a probable cause and fix. 

• Thanks 1