Buck called

Getting towards end of the rut here so decided on a look locally to see if I could catch up with a buck I’ve seen sign of but no sightings yet . Fields all cut for big bale hay which I’ve found in the past is a big bonus for calling . Spotted a doe and a follower browsing on a hedge way down by the river field and using the bales managed to get to within 100 yds .

Called softly and and she  immediately ran towards me causing a response from a buck behind me unseen that charged past me to within 4m to get to the doe that’s closing the gap fast . Whether she was in season or not , she lead the buck on a merry chase around the bales , leaving her follower but 20m from me . They went out of sight in another field but I knew she would be back so l lead down by a bale and waited , gun on bipod .

Sure enough back she comes buck in tow and he’s got himself in a right state . Tonge out and breathing loudly so I let him compose himself before shooting him at about 60 yds . Be the last buck for me I expect as numbers aren’t that great here this year .

B8FCC02E-9ABD-41E0-B281-7026DC04D8CF.jpeg

• Like 13