What’s killing my birds?

Lost 2 birds on Saturday night. 

One was in a nest in some thistles outside the run which is fair enough, natural selection. The other was grabbed and pulled through the bars.

Then last night, two hens. One jammed in the bars, as if it was being dragged through and got jammed, the other, dead on the inside of the cage but next to the bars.

The run is 30 foot by 12 foot, has a chicken wire roof and sheep netting pinned flat around the ground that starts inside the runnsnd soreads outside 

there is no sign of entry to the run.

91396F45-CD9F-4485-8DD6-82FC3A8F30B7.jpeg

EB97D827-7D62-4FD5-881B-B50F4DA99168.jpeg

72ED9643-8508-41D9-B188-4C4E6A1303E8.jpeg

I know one thing for sure. I'd be running a 3ft high chicken wire along that a Harris fencing. Blinking chickens love sticking there heads through if there's grass or weeds about. Might have been an opportunist villain. OMO. JOK.

• Like 2

If there's a dead one inside then is a small predator, Mink, Stoat, Ferret or maybe a Weasel any of them could walk through that fencing. If it were a fox there would be no head on that Chicken. Think Jok is right chicken wire 3' up the outside with a 12" buried under the turf in an L shape, if you get what I mean. Set a Mink/Rabbit cage trap outside the fence maybe. Best of luck with it Pesky. (Sorry mate for wrong name)

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
wrong name
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stoat or weasel,  a rat would have tried to pull it under the bar not over, and a fox would have made more mess and once it had a dead bird it would have tried digging or pulling it through the stock netting.

i would concur it’s not a very vermin proof pen.

• 1 month later...