For years Iv wanted to build my own house but I don’t think I will ever be in a position to do that , so I thort the next best thing would be to build a shepherds hut for family holidays we have a nice site only 40mins from us were we can permanently site it and wife and kids can pop to it for weekends and we can all use it for short brakes , 

the questions I have is how’s best to build the roof ? Been looking on line and can’t find anything some people use what looks like plywood ribs ? 

Next question how would you put a stove though the wooden roof ? 

I will put pics up as I build it ( just on the look out for an old bale trailer now ) then am away hopefully all done for next summer 

Roof - I would band saw the rib profile you want out of 2" x 9"

To put the flue pipe through the roof people normally use aluminium flashing with a silicone 'sock' thing that fits tight around the pipe.

Smaller the better for stoves because most are designed to heat a much bigger volume of air. I've got an old wendy stove that's been 'borrowed', but if I can get it back and you are ever passing through the midlands,  I'll do a good price for it. http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/woodburners

If you are building on a bale trailer, it'll need some way of getting the wheels off the ground or else it'll rock around when people go in it. Also, building on a bale trailer means it'll end up 11' or 12' high, which will catch the wind and be exciting to tow. This firm has been a success because the man realised there was far more money to be made selling the parts for shepherds huts rather than trying to shift £10k sheds on wheels. He sells the traditional style axles, which would keep it low to the ground, but not that great for moving it http://www.shepherd-huts.com/index.php

• Like 1

Ok , I was thinking about putting smaller wheels on the trailer to reduce the hight of it ones it’s in place I was going to jack the 4 corners , 

i did not think about useing 9x2s 

iv been working nr a Farm with 2 old bale trailers in the bushes going to ask him about them this week ( could go one of 2 ways ) 

if you ever get the stove back let me know ! 

8 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Wouldn’t use feather edge tho like he has I’d use a quality tongue and grove for the outside 

Thanks 

yes I was going to use inch thick tongue and grove and go up and down not horizontal ( more traditional) 

• Like 1

I've been making them for years. If you want any tips drop me a message. Top tip is be aware of the weight if you are planning to tow it any distance. Unless you have a tractor a bale trailer isn't going to be much good to you

• Like 1