Swollen ankels

I spotted the bitch this morning had swollen feet,fluid build up,took her for a short walk and rang my greyhound trainer mate..He told me it's a common thing,and to stand her in cold water with salt in it.....she has 11 days roughly to go before puping,and I'd prefer if there were no problems before hand of any sorts....anyone ever come across this situation before?

IMG_20190811_200053.jpg

IMG_20190811_200248.jpg

IMG-20190811-WA0001.jpg

Edited by jigsaw

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm stocking up with beef and chicken mince,loads of wax paper and old duvets,for her bedding,heat lamp at the ready,and prayer book in my pocket lol

The Scottish lads eat porridge what's got salt in it 

your greyhound trainers 100% right , I have had a few greyhound brood bitches do the same, dont worry, And if i remember rightly one of my wifes also had this complaint when she was in pup lol.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

I can understand standing in cold water to reduce inflammation but what is the salt going to do ? 

he was saying the salt be good for the skin and a bit of a disinfectant,he did tell me it wasnt really necessary but it be no harm to add it lol...

i will be glad when all this is over ,im not the best at breeding pups,..well ive rarely done it so i proceed with caution and trepidation ...luckily i know the daughter,son and wife will take over the whole show and halt the work will be done before i even get home from work lol

• Like 1
6 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Do you put salt in your tea instead of sugar ?, I don’t think the dog is suppose to drink it aswell , p.s I know your only joking or do I 

The Scottish lads eat porridge what's got salt in it 

• Like 5

I’m sure it’ll be all good mate your doing the right thing helping make her comfortable as you can. All the best wi the pups?? Your be getting ready to bang as much grub down her as you can she looks a fine build bitch them hungry little beans will have her looking like a rspca case in no time ? hope it’s all a smooth birthing fella An look forward to seeing to pup pictures ?? 

• Thanks 1

Usually just hormonal changes mean that sodium is retained so fluid is increased and it has to go somewhere so lowest point or the expanding uterus can reduce outflow to femoral veins causing a bit of a backlog. *8 pups was it  ?

Edited by sandymere