Why has Hancock no pups for sale?

Its a shame he has decided to call it a day  but as he says he has been breeding lurchers for 37 years now, i raise my hat to him and wish him all the best in his retirement .

I have had five dogs from him over the years ,the first was a 3/4 bred out of a collie called remus  ,,what a great bitch that was unfortunately the later dogs just were not the same.

The 3/4 greyhound saluki i got from him definitely was the best dog i had from him it caught more rabbits and hares than the other four put together.Picture1.png.308574f1d8895ce6a38e857c7583ef0f.png  

• Like 4

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for Pastoral fans out there,..these are some words I penned from research, a few years ago...  Obviously, only my opinion,...based solely on my own experience...? The Australian Cattle

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns,.... and going with your heart...? I prefer, my rabbiting lurchers to have a fair old smidgeon of the herder in them... Everyone, has their own pre

Love them or hate them there is no getting away from the fact there will never be anyone as influential in successfully breeding just one cross as Hancocks have been, iv no complaints with mine, 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, morton said:

£350 a pup,several pups in the litter,dozens and dozens of litters a year,i heard she was selling 60-70 pups a month?,ill guarantee the commercial kennels only breed for commercial profit and not working quality.

They weren't selling that many i'd say as i'm sure the laws concerning kennel licences say you can only have 10 dogs per staff member and unless they got about 10 folk working there it's bullshit or they've failed the requirements to be a breeding kennels..I know a puppy farm and they have around 30-40 bitches and they don't breed anything near to that number per month so feck knows how many brood bitches they had there then...

17 minutes ago, fireman said:

They weren't selling that many i'd say as i'm sure the laws concerning kennel licences say you can only have 10 dogs per staff member and unless they got about 10 folk working there it's bullshit or they've failed the requirements to be a breeding kennels..I know a puppy farm and they have around 30-40 bitches and they don't breed anything near to that number per month so feck knows how many brood bitches they had there then...

Hancock was an educated and articulate fella,he  had a panache for taking dollar from nuggets.if his tax returns said he bred 2 pups from 2 litters and had the receipts to prove it then is records came up to spec.The facts are he was a puppy peddlar of the worst kind,he bred a monumental amount of shite with a cash incentive and tax evasion,the odd diamond that strolled out of his and her kennel was far,far outweighed by the fecking shivery and reluctant dross that masquerade as lurchers.They had their share of educated fools that failed to see anything that was less than dross.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, morton said:

Hancock was an educated and articulate fella,he  had a panache for taking dollar from nuggets.if his tax returns said he bred 2 pups from 2 litters and had the receipts to prove it then is records came up to spec.The facts are he was a puppy peddlar of the worst kind,he bred a monumental amount of shite with a cash incentive and tax evasion,the odd diamond that strolled out of his and her kennel was far,far outweighed by the fecking shivery and reluctant dross that masquerade as lurchers.They had their share of educated fools that failed to see anything that was less than dross.

Not a fan I take it ?

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, morton said:

Then i'd say they can't or don't want to spend the money to come up to standard to be a breeder then, do have to say one the best scenting lurchers i have ever seen was a hancock dog who'd not miss flushing anything from sky larks to roe deer from  field or woods.

1 hour ago, fireman said:

sure their license was for 50 bitches. Haven't a clue if they had as many as that. Wouldn't go anywhere near a place like that

• Like 1

It is sad that a person thats looking for a new pup chooses to buy from a " puppy breeding kennel" when they  are so many working types out there ,doing the hard yards then bred for a replacement .I'm a very firm believer in breeding from good working stock not that I ,a time or two, have not tried non workers but Id rather know that the parents can do the job to a high standard  .I bred about 6 litters over the winter ,sounds a huge amount but Ive kept a pup or two from each litter for replacements ,this has allowed me to spit the dogs into two teams ,the rest of the pups were on sold as this helps to off set the costs of keeping the others ,some  were  given to good mates that required a replacement  a pup to work .This helps to spread the risk of the lines dieing out .I'm  sure everybody has their own ideas and while I may not agree, I respect the opinion of others. 

• Like 2

Surely there is enough hunters out there breeding the odd litter to supply other hunters with a decent dog.We have had our share over here of puppy farmers of hunting dogs.Even though they were hunters themselves,they had kennels full of dogs that had never seen any work.Don't want to say who they are, but they put their names on their lines, so to me they were feeding their ego's and pockets and not classed as dog men imo.Get rid of these people and you will see less wasted dogs ending their days in the shelters and better quality dogs from genuine working parents in the field.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the newcomers that set there heart on a collie grey because they will struggle to find one because most of the lurcher people selling them don't know what is in them themselves not a lover of Hancock but u new what u was getting

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

I feel sorry for the newcomers that set there heart on a collie grey because they will struggle to find one because most of the lurcher people selling them don't know what is in them themselves not a lover of Hancock but u new what u was getting

Think hes done.them a favour ??

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

As northernlite as said he’s probably done them a favour I mean just because Hancock as packed in genuine collie xs won’t stop someone will see the gap in the market an fill If it’s working orientated the person breeding them might breed out of working dogs for work ??Collie xs pop up only the other day on here I see a kelpie x greyhound f1 litter due out of stuff that does a bit. Tbh I’m pretty happy with the fact the puppy farm as closed down the lurcher world don’t need it the working Lurcher world produces enough work bred Lurchers to go round plus more but I’m still a believer in the lurcher world as moved on from 1/2 & 1/4 bred collie xs you just have to look out there an see terrier crosses have the hunting game covered without any temperamental collie stuff lol.....the less collie in a Lurcher the better 

39 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

if newcomers haven't got the patience to wait for a collie x litter to come up, should they really be getting one in the first place?

Well put, I have always bred my own I know what’s in them and they suit me. Regards Collie John.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Well put, I have always bred my own I know what’s in them and they suit me. Regards Collie John.

Best way colliejohn I’ve become the same breed for what you need or if you can’t be bothered to breed take a pup from your own gear bred by someone else where you know what’s in it. f**k what any one else thinks it’s the way forward and you know we’re you stand with your own gear

• Like 1