Plummers

C.green

10 minutes ago, C.green said:

I think ratting is abit like ferreting most types will pick it up to a standard if used enough. Another thing about these ive found is money and names on paper are top priority with most not trying to produce little allround workers.

Any plummer pup sells and it don't matter what name is on the ped for them to get top money,names on paper to a punter don't mean feck all imo mate.They got a puppy and plummers ain't thick on the ground so when a litter comes up they soon go,but if i were looking at a pup myself then yeah names on the ped do mean a whole lot as i'd want a pup from a line of known hard working terriers and not some bigged up non worked shite that some punt out and the folk i'd get a pup from do graft them or else i wouldn't be at their door..

• Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is Katchums Lads Dog and its made of Electricity if my Mrs saw it she would want a pup out of her and if she met Katchum  I think she would want a Pup out of him too

Heres my new little pal....i talked a mate into getting him but have barely let him out my sight since he arrived i really like the little guy.  

My little bitch Tana,gifted from a member on here ..to be honest...it's the most switched on and angry terrier pup I've ever had lol..will need holding back not bringing on ,if she Carry's on?

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, fireman said:

He had russell's already and used a beagle that was ment to have done some work,the bull (what the feck is a fighting dog ffs?) was added for jaw strength and bone,further russell and Nuttal's blood was added to sort of even out the size issues.Comparing them against other types is a bit suss but iv'e not seen any other type come close to them working in a pack or at the ratting game.My old bitch is the best ratting dog i have ver seen although she's past it now but she just had a nack of finding them when other types didn't and the way she'd mark them and catch them she was always ahead of others...I have russell's i work these days and don't do anything as much ratting as i used to but i do have a young russell here who i recon would make a half decent ratter,but she's a first season of digging to do first before i get to ratting the covers again.

Thank you for answering fireman. My question was to people who regularity hunt and catch hundreds of rats. Something that I have not done. The Russells that I have hunted with have never been found lacking in scenting ability or courage, but, I have not done that kind of rat catching. So do not know if the Plummer is better or not at that job than a "unimproved" terrier. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, fireman said:

Any plummer pup sells and it don't matter what name is on the ped for them to get top money,names on paper to a punter don't mean feck all imo mate.They got a puppy and plummers ain't thick on the ground so when a litter comes up they soon go,but if i were looking at a pup myself then yeah names on the ped do mean a whole lot as i'd want a pup from a line of known hard working terriers and not some bigged up non worked shite that some punt out and the folk i'd get a pup from do graft them or else i wouldn't be at their door..

Will you have more plummers to work alongside the russel ?

1 hour ago, C.green said:

Will you have more plummers to work alongside the russel ?

I've enough terriers for the now but like i said they ain't thick on the ground so i won't say no as if the right bred one came along then yes i'd have another plummer no problem.Unlike the man himself good terriers don't tell lies and my old bitch has never lied to me ever and i've never had to lie about her either...:victory:

17 minutes ago, Flacko said:

Fireman is there certain lines more favourable to drop in than others, heard rymid ? Or something more throw earth dogs & size wise some throw 11-13 rather than 15- 16 atb Flacko 

Remlap are/were a line of earth workers and that's the line i'd/iv'e gone for myself,lost one just before last xmas that was ticking every box i put in front of her..

1 hour ago, Flacko said:

Fireman what about size wise mate are commented before I seen a lot of these plumbers like whippet height I like the smaller compact sort ? any stuff like that about atb Flacko 

The bitch i lost was 12 " strongly built and well jawed,all i wanted in any sort of terrier.There was a few big plummers and there are still a good few weak headed/jawed plummers but there are also proper built plummers about. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember seeing one out of the dogs he brought to Rotherham with him a rough haired mongrel type terrier that was some digging dog this was in the 70s it was nothing like the plummer terrier.

And i seen plumers that vary so much theres almost tow different types of plummer. Im very surprised there isnt the odd throwback to older or rough stuff in them.

39 minutes ago, C.green said:

And i seen plumers that vary so much theres almost tow different types of plummer. Im very surprised there isnt the odd throwback to older or rough stuff in them.

One thing i've always said about the plummer is the poor coat 99.9% of them have,it's thin fur is no good for harsh weather and seen a few sat shivering when the going gets slow.I wish i'd put a rough coated russell over my old bitch as a rough coated plummer type does look a smart thing.HJKC had a nice 1/2 cross with a good looking rough coat.

• Like 3