Plummers

C.green

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is Katchums Lads Dog and its made of Electricity if my Mrs saw it she would want a pup out of her and if she met Katchum  I think she would want a Pup out of him too

Heres my new little pal....i talked a mate into getting him but have barely let him out my sight since he arrived i really like the little guy.  

My little bitch Tana,gifted from a member on here ..to be honest...it's the most switched on and angry terrier pup I've ever had lol..will need holding back not bringing on ,if she Carry's on?

Posted Images

Years ago lads I read about them in hunting mags,the Plummer terrier,bred by Brian plummer he was a lurcher and terrier man that got his claim to fame by living in the outback of the country in the UK and rearing a collie x greyhound [collie being the dam of the pup and greyhound being the sire],merle I think it was called,slow to start but a demon when he got started so I read,

the plummer terrier I seen were good ratting terriers and bushing terriers,never seen one that would stay under ground for very long,but every dog is different,dont see many at the game fairs these days. 

• Haha 3

Here's my lad. Not strictly a plummer, he's half pat. Superb busher if there's something in a bit of cover and he scents it he'll get it moving. Not really a proper earth dog but he will drop down occasionally. Use him to flush to my rapidly useless lurchers ?

Cheers

IMG_20190822_183416.jpg

IMG_20190822_183401.jpg

• Like 10
20 hours ago, C.green said:

Got my dog flying at the monent loves the catapult allways seems to catch sommat in cover time will tell if hes gonna stay but more hes out better he gets. More of a line hunter than most terriers i seen. 

The hound blood shows in a lot of them. Mine would bay on a line, great fun hunting cover. 

Nobody told mine they don't stay to ground either, they did. Some would kill below too. 1504707005567-9ccce819-9b2b-4855-8995-dc63a8cd3d44.jpg.0cf746e600143e4cd73393b712cfa706.jpg

• Like 11
19 hours ago, stormyboy said:

The hound blood shows in a lot of them. Mine would bay on a line, great fun hunting cover. 

Nobody told mine they don't stay to ground either, they did. Some would kill below too. 1504707005567-9ccce819-9b2b-4855-8995-dc63a8cd3d44.jpg.0cf746e600143e4cd73393b712cfa706.jpg

Stormboy that's some good looking terrier you have there,is that a bit of a top lip missing,?? 

• Haha 1

Has the type that existed before been improved? A genuine question.

I did not know D B Plummer and have no axe to grind. Some say he developed this type on an ego trip wanting fame and a sort of immortality. But some of it makes sense.

As much as I know is that the type originated from existing working Russell types that were found lacking in nose and courage. Beagle was introduced to improve nose and fighting dog for courage.  Some Russells can hunt like Beagles. If a certain line was lacking in that department outcross to a terrier line that has nose or do not continue the line. Why go to the extremes of using hound blood and risk losing everything else?

Bull blood. Again, there were Russell types that were not lacking. Why continue a terrier line that was lacking in such a fundamental? So I have answered my own questions. But not really.

I have not caught rats in large numbers. To me double figures is a good day. And that was the reason these Plummer terriers were developed for? Catching and killing hundreds, that some people do.

Has anyone used conventional working terriers AND Plummer terriers for this work and found the former lacking and the latter superior due to the outcross blood? 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Has the type that existed before been improved? A genuine question.

I did not know D B Plummer and have no axe to grind. Some say he developed this type on an ego trip wanting fame and a sort of immortality. But some of it makes sense.

As much as I know is that the type originated from existing working Russell types that were found lacking in nose and courage. Beagle was introduced to improve nose and fighting dog for courage.  Some Russells can hunt like Beagles. If a certain line was lacking in that department outcross to a terrier line that has nose or do not continue the line. Why go to the extremes of using hound blood and risk losing everything else?

Bull blood. Again, there were Russell types that were not lacking. Why continue a terrier line that was lacking in such a fundamental? So I have answered my own questions. But not really.

I have not caught rats in large numbers. To me double figures is a good day. And that was the reason these Plummer terriers were developed for? Catching and killing hundreds, that some people do.

Has anyone used conventional working terriers AND Plummer terriers for this work and found the former lacking and the latter superior due to the outcross blood? 

He had russell's already and used a beagle that was ment to have done some work,the bull (what the feck is a fighting dog ffs?) was added for jaw strength and bone,further russell and Nuttal's blood was added to sort of even out the size issues.Comparing them against other types is a bit suss but iv'e not seen any other type come close to them working in a pack or at the ratting game.My old bitch is the best ratting dog i have ver seen although she's past it now but she just had a nack of finding them when other types didn't and the way she'd mark them and catch them she was always ahead of others...I have russell's i work these days and don't do anything as much ratting as i used to but i do have a young russell here who i recon would make a half decent ratter,but she's a first season of digging to do first before i get to ratting the covers again.

• Like 1

I think ratting is abit like ferreting most types will pick it up to a standard if used enough. Another thing about these ive found is money and names on paper are top priority with most not trying to produce little allround workers.

• Like 1