Plummers

C.green

7 hours ago, Flacko said:

Fireman is there certain lines more favourable to drop in than others, heard rymid ? Or something more throw earth dogs & size wise some throw 11-13 rather than 15- 16 atb Flacko 

Vandal, the dog in my pic was the foundation of the remlap line, which produced some outstanding earth dogs. Some could be a little on the hard side, but they got the job done.

• Like 5

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one is Katchums Lads Dog and its made of Electricity if my Mrs saw it she would want a pup out of her and if she met Katchum  I think she would want a Pup out of him too

Heres my new little pal....i talked a mate into getting him but have barely let him out my sight since he arrived i really like the little guy.  

My little bitch Tana,gifted from a member on here ..to be honest...it's the most switched on and angry terrier pup I've ever had lol..will need holding back not bringing on ,if she Carry's on?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, big sid said:

wirrrel countryman or something like that used to be on here and if half of what he claimed about his plummers were true i'd have one

Think he fell out with a few people ?

Cheers, D.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:28, fireman said:

One thing i've always said about the plummer is the poor coat 99.9% of them have,it's thin fur is no good for harsh weather and seen a few sat shivering when the going gets slow.I wish i'd put a rough coated russell over my old bitch as a rough coated plummer type does look a smart thing.HJKC had a nice 1/2 cross with a good looking rough coat.

Is the type of coat that these dogs have not something that original breeder desired in his terriers? Going back to my original post on this thread, was D B Plummer's intention not to improve on the earth dogs that he started with, as earth dogs,  with but to create the ultimate rat catching dog.? Catching large numbers of rats in filthy places, indoors usually, and such a coat was a desirable attribute? The muck did not stick and was easily cleaned afterwards.

I do not really understand when people criticise the type as  earth dogs as surely that's not why other blood was added. Are they better than what already existed as ratting dogs? Was that not what they were intended to do? The very reason that they were "created"?

On 01/09/2019 at 19:09, eastcoast said:

Is the type of coat that these dogs have not something that original breeder desired in his terriers? Going back to my original post on this thread, was D B Plummer's intention not to improve on the earth dogs that he started with, as earth dogs,  with but to create the ultimate rat catching dog.? Catching large numbers of rats in filthy places, indoors usually, and such a coat was a desirable attribute? The muck did not stick and was easily cleaned afterwards.

I do not really understand when people criticise the type as  earth dogs as surely that's not why other blood was added. Are they better than what already existed as ratting dogs? Was that not what they were intended to do? The very reason that they were "created"?

He wanted the colour above anything else and so does every plummer breeder,a white terrier with red spots is a russell:laugh:..The terriers he had to start with were just rough coated russell types,no better than most and as it goes a tendancy to be mute so a bit useless before the locator box came  on the scene,the Nuttal blood was added to even the size and proportions of the pups being born to beagle x russell x bull litters at the time. As for what plummer intended to do was anyone's guess as he was a odd fecker at best and that sure as shit does affect folks view on the plummer as a earth dog.Ffs look at the responces i get when iv'e put up a post with a plummer being dug to,but i will say iv'e not seen anything come even close to plummers when iv'e been out with other breeds alongside them..

Edited to say i mean when out ratting with other breeds..:victory:

Edited by fireman
  • Thanks 1

From some of the pictures I’ve seen of the plummers they stand out in the ratting game & obviously the lads who working them are mad for rats you can’t argue with the pictures put up by these boys the amount of stuff they kill & do it constantly every week all year round 

From what i seen and other lads are telling me alot are half hearted soft types like busy idiot dogs. Id put mine down as like a close working beagle. The coat is deffo a problem i dont think i will bother with one again for what i want in a terrier theres no way this dog would keep hes looks after a hard winter ripping bramble and gorse. So quest continues for the type of terrier im after this dog will do someone just pottering around hedges and that lovely though.

Edited by C.green
3 hours ago, C.green said:

From what i seen and other lads are telling me alot are half hearted soft types like busy idiot dogs. Id put mine down as like a close working beagle. The coat is deffo a problem i dont think i will bother with one again for what i want in a terrier theres no way this dog would keep hes looks after a hard winter ripping bramble and gorse. So quest continues for the type of terrier im after this dog will do someone just pottering around hedges and that lovely though.

25A01570-EF16-4A6E-957E-2ACFF62802C0.jpeg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, C.green said:

My old girl has a few tiny rips on her ears from a life time of bushing through all sorts of crap,the worse thing is you can see the marks from brambles but she's never been ripped open as such,it's the thinness of coat hairs i don't like to much but if you your on it about it then a good box and a rub down when you've finished stops any problems as it does with any terrier or short haired working dog..

21 minutes ago, fireman said:

My old girl has a few tiny rips on her ears from a life time of bushing through all sorts of crap,the worse thing is you can see the marks from brambles but she's never been ripped open as such,it's the thinness of coat hairs i don't like to much but if you your on it about it then a good box and a rub down when you've finished stops any problems as it does with any terrier or short haired working dog..

What i mean is fireman ive had spaniels that when worked hard got sore round there eyes took some stick to there chests. With this coat i cant see the dog staying sound. I sort of know what im after and all the times ive known people get into this breed and eventually get out has made sense to me now. This little dog suit a moocher hedgerow basher sort of person thats out once a week or whatever but i get out abit more than that doing allsorts and the dog isnt for me and as i said earlier dont think id have another as a gift.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, C.green said:

What i mean is fireman ive had spaniels that when worked hard got sore round there eyes took some stick to there chests. With this coat i cant see the dog staying sound. I sort of know what im after and all the times ive known people get into this breed and eventually get out has made sense to me now. This little dog suit a moocher hedgerow basher sort of person thats out once a week or whatever but i get out abit more than that doing allsorts and the dog isnt for me and as i said earlier dont think id have another as a gift.

I no what you mean I have spaniel bitch and she has a good thick coat but after a day out she sore round her eyes and on end of her ears  she will still work the next day but can see she is sore , if she was a fine coated dog she’d probably look like she been through a mincer lol , not all dogs make the grade and if the dog isn’t suited to the ground your going to be working on no point keeping it , have sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Lad down here has a rough coated paterdale bitch that won’t drop to ground seen That work couple times and she will work any cover and doesn’t suffer ,, but finding a decent bushing terrier with good coat that don’t drop to ground is getting harder ..I’ve only seen to them plumbers work and both didn’t impress me at all 

• Like 2