Terrier clubs

just wanted to get a bit of feed back lads, terrier clubs up and down the country seem to be a bit of a down word spiral. As most people know I’m involved with the fell and moorland wtc, I just wanted to know what people thoughts on terrier clubs are in this modern age and why there is so little interest from people, and what could be done to bring more people in

thanks 

RF

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We live in an ever changing world and Chilli has hit the nail on the head. For the past 35 years one of the increasingly important roles of well run and well supported Terrier Clubs, is that collectiv

I think terrierwork in general is on a downward spiral, a lot have left the game and none of the younger generation have replaced them. Also in regards to terrier clubs, the notion of meeting onc

so we live in the modern world , why not a internet based terrier club , a page on facebook or another site , £5 to join, so when you register to join a forum you pay fee , all monies to NWTF ,   badg

I think terrierwork in general is on a downward spiral, a lot have left the game and none of the younger generation have replaced them.

Also in regards to terrier clubs, the notion of meeting once a month for a few pints and a catch up is long gone, everyone and everything is so easily accessible these days that the romance of it seems to have disappeared. 

Hope I’m wrong mind.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

i was involved with the fell and moorland for year dragging myself to shows and meeting , when i first joined it was great good meeting invited guest speakers taxidermy demo's but  unfortunately  ego's became bigger than the club during the early 2000 with reps form different area infighting , the club never recovered and it was the end of the club in north wales , now the club formed in it places has finished and i don't think there will be a new club or a F&M in the area again its a thankless job ,and  these days you don't need someone  to sort things out for a rescue mobile phones and you've got all the help you need mini digger hire is cheap compared to 20 years ago , the terrier shows are dieing a death , no clubs no shows , clubs take teamwork to run show ,very little of that left in the terrier game , its a shame but this is the modern world  

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 11

Is this an English post rat face or what. Were hunting every week during season and dig a lot of foxes more than a lot of lads but never approached to join any club.wed be open to it to improve numbers but we're in South Ireland so not sure bout your post

• Like 2

As has been said already, being a fmwtc rep is a thankless task, and being a member brings very little benefit.

who in their right mind would want to meet up in a public place that has been advertised to all and sundry, and talk about something that 99% of the general public don't understand, and like even less?

just asking for trouble 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The hole purpose for a terrier club is to rescue terriers but with the bellman there is noprobem locating a terrier so no rescue needed,, our club meet up once a year in a back of a little wmc an it's something I look forward to every year just for the crack even no most of us keep intouch through out the season anyway an to find out what's been said at the national meeting, there's normally about 20 odd of us turn up sometimes more but I no there is people just send there subs in without attending, so still not a bad little following for this day an age

• Like 2

i don’t really know of the benefits of joining the fmwtc that justifies having your name on a list. It’s just my honest opinion but what is there to gain from it other than the occasional social meeting?

• Sad 1
On 10/08/2019 at 14:23, Rat face said:

just wanted to get a bit of feed back lads, terrier clubs up and down the country seem to be a bit of a down word spiral. As most people know I’m involved with the fell and moorland wtc, I just wanted to know what people thoughts on terrier clubs are in this modern age and why there is so little interest from people, and what could be done to bring more people in

thanks 

RF

Its a reflection of the times,the importance of the FMWTC was once,not to long ago,a significant factor in many of the lads and lasses putting a terrier in an hole,without such an organisation many a useful mutt would have been lost.The more aged amidst our splintered ranks still recognise the importance of being a member of a club set up with the sole intent of serving its members.The standard of terrier work is much diminished now,the standard of terriers reflects the times we live in and to many now are of the opinion they don,t need the assistance that the FMWTC offers,until they lose a mutt and then contact a member and ask them to say its their dog.The cost of joining the FMWTC is a paltry sum,put the fees up and then use the extra revenue to up-date the magazine and make it more to-date friendly.You will know yourself that a minority of the more aged amongst us have  a built in destruct button and cannot accept the fact that a younger.hungrier and more useful terrier lad should run a club and keep it going.Advertise the shows better,get decent judges on board that see soil over shampoo,don,t be fecking shy about putting a few dinosaurs in their place,get the magazine out to a wider audience and just plod on doing the job your doing mucker,its a thankless task no doubt,if honest young souls like yourself struggle to attract members then the fools who cannot see the advantage of joining deserve what comes their way,their terriers dont.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, morton said:

Its a reflection of the times,the importance of the FMWTC was once,not to long ago,a significant factor in many of the lads and lasses putting a terrier in an hole,without such an organisation many a useful mutt would have been lost.The more aged amidst our splintered ranks still recognise the importance of being a member of a club set up with the sole intent of serving its members.The standard of terrier work is much diminished now,the standard of terriers reflects the times we live in and to many now are of the opinion they don,t need the assistance that the FMWTC offers,until they lose a mutt and then contact a member and ask them to say its their dog.The cost of joining the FMWTC is a paltry sum,put the fees up and then use the extra revenue to up-date the magazine and make it more to-date friendly.You will know yourself that a minority of the more aged amongst us have  a built in destruct button and cannot accept the fact that a younger.hungrier and more useful terrier lad should run a club and keep it going.Advertise the shows better,get decent judges on board that see soil over shampoo,don,t be fecking shy about putting a few dinosaurs in their place,get the magazine out to a wider audience and just plod on doing the job your doing mucker,its a thankless task no doubt,if honest young souls like yourself struggle to attract members then the fools who cannot see the advantage of joining deserve what comes their way,their terriers dont.

So what your saying is if your not in the club you deserve to lose a dog? That’s very immature of you to come out with a statement like that and I’m sure a club like the fmwtc wouldn’t share such a narrow minded, bitter view especially when they carry a terriers life and wellbeing at the upmost importance. You must keep bad company if you’re of the opinion that the standard of modern terrierwork is lesser. I’ve been around nothing but honest and genuine lads, young and old, who would help out in any situation regardless of a club membership or not. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rob284 said:

i don’t really know of the benefits of joining the fmwtc that justifies having your name on a list. It’s just my honest opinion but what is there to gain from it other than the occasional social meeting?

Knowing that if you've got a trapped terrier you can get help etc etc have you read any of the yearbooks mate?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rob284 said:

So what your saying is if your not in the club you deserve to lose a dog? That’s very immature of you to come out with a statement like that and I’m sure a club like the fmwtc wouldn’t share such a narrow minded, bitter view especially when they carry a terriers life and wellbeing at the upmost importance. You must keep bad company if you’re of the opinion that the standard of modern terrierwork is lesser. I’ve been around nothing but honest and genuine lads, young and old, who would help out in any situation regardless of a club membership or not. 

As i never said anybody,no matter how feckless deserves to lose a terrier,you lost your argument.The vast,vast,vast majority of rescues are conducted by the terrier owner and his close associates,in the very rare circumstance that a terrier is lost to ground and it becomes such that it requires the expertise and financial assistance of an organisation such as the FMWTC to get to a mutt that would otherwise be lost,then yes id advocate the importance of paying a paltry sum and joining.Im certainly of the opinion that the standard of terrierwork and terriers is on the decline,the company i keep is far more difficult to find now,less than 20 years ago i could,nt say the same.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, morton said:

As i never said anybody,no matter how feckless deserves to lose a terrier,you lost your argument.The vast,vast,vast majority of rescues are conducted by the terrier owner and his close associates,in the very rare circumstance that a terrier is lost to ground and it becomes such that it requires the expertise and financial assistance of an organisation such as the FMWTC to get to a mutt that would otherwise be lost,then yes id advocate the importance of paying a paltry sum and joining.Im certainly of the opinion that the standard of terrierwork and terriers is on the decline,the company i keep is far more difficult to find now,less than 20 years ago i could,nt say the same.

I was referring to your last sentence in your previous post, back pedal all you want, you wrote what you wrote, which says a lot about yourself. The op asked for lads opinions and I’m sharing my opinion which is that the average lad has enough help from friends and lads they know up and down the country on good sites like these, without the need to join a club and if they want to attract the modern terrierman something else needs to be used to encourage subscription.what That something else is, I don’t know. Like I said just my opinion and it’s no bad reflection on the good work the club does.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Knowing that if you've got a trapped terrier you can get help etc etc have you read any of the yearbooks mate?

Cheers, D.

The yearbooks need to be aired to a wider audience,that alone would gain many a member,the dinosaurs have had their day and its time for a more modern approach to attracting and retaining membership.Its imperative that the old values are not lost and the younger and older generation find a common goal.