a friend of mine who lives up country has a cocker that is constantly bringing in new born leverrets, ok they may be slightly more advanced than other burrowing animals but they still have no defence against predation ??

3 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Those newborn Leveretts in your link look quite a bit older than the one being held by c greens mate, anyways if they can see or not still does not change the fact hares have been almost wiped out from areas were badgers  are overpopulated  

Was working with birdwatching Ireland some years ago. One swam out onto an Island on the Shannon, after ground nesting birds. Had to get NPWS out with a cage to trap it. Say they do huge damage especially if the place is crawling with them.

• Like 1

Personally think it’s absurd that badgers are protected they should be able to be controlled, perhaps not completely unchecked but definitely need controlling in some way. The damage there digging does to the land is unbelievable and as stated they are very destructive to other animal species. There numbers have increased 10 fold round my way they are basically a pest that you aren’t allowed to do anything about. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Bobtheferret said:

Personally think it’s absurd that badgers are protected they should be able to be controlled, perhaps not completely unchecked but definitely need controlling in some way. The damage there digging does to the land is unbelievable and as stated they are very destructive to other animal species. There numbers have increased 10 fold round my way they are basically a pest that you aren’t allowed to do anything about. 

I think you are bang on. There numbers are absurd. I have seen about half a dozen or at least 6 this year in broad day light which is just beyond. It used to be unheard of seeing one in the day unless it was ill. Can't let the dog off in some areas now just in case. 

• Like 1

On the news today the increase in cows being slaughtered is going through the roof in our area. They reckon the tests are more sensitive now so thats why but I can bet what the farmers are blaming. Rightly so .

On 11/08/2019 at 22:35, terryd said:

I think you are bang on. There numbers are absurd. I have seen about half a dozen or at least 6 this year in broad day light which is just beyond. It used to be unheard of seeing one in the day unless it was ill. Can't let the dog off in some areas now just in case. 

Same as mate,more out last year in the hot weather but still getting a few ?

ABCE5BEB-A55B-4384-A36B-4A5CB2DD0289.jpeg

566C97EA-D7D6-4957-871C-6D5B06BCF3F4.jpeg