MY FIRST AIR RIFLE [and only]

It was make named Sheriden  the model was called Blue Streak I think and I was given it in 1955 it had no rear site and we could not get any Pellets that fit it so all I could do was pump it up and dry fire it  just before xmas two yanks came to the Hall regarding  arrangements that they had had with my Grandmother that had started during the War , one of the GIs was talking to me and grandad and said he could get the Gun fixed and also get the ammunition , the Gun was returned on boxing day with a new Aperture sight  but no ammunition  that arrived some Weeks later on Febuary 12th my Mams Birthday , there were not many restrictions as what you could shoot in those days and I was encouraged to shoot anything in the Walled garden including Cooks enemy Bullfinches  and of course Rabbits I also shot Coots off of the lake because there was a German ex POW who lived on the estate who ate them as for Rabbits I shot stacks of them right up till April then me and Grandad found a sick Rabbit  we took it in a Bucket to the Police station at Loughborough then the Sargent and us went to the Doctors who confirmed it was the new disease Mixi and by the end of the Month there was not a Rabbit for Miles around , I had loads more adventures with that Gun  but nothing like those first few weeks . ….. I wonder if its still about 

• Like 3

Some good times you had in the day 

shame some of the old times can’t come back in this old great nation of ours , but I am afraid those times have gone and our once great nation is falling apart very quickly 

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, villaman said:

Some good times you had in the day 

shame some of the old times can’t come back in this old great nation of ours , but I am afraid those times have gone and our once great nation is falling apart very quickly 

No Gas , Electricity, Running Water, outside Toilet ,post office 3 miles away , Church for at least 2 hours on a sunday and anyone on a Hoss you called Sir . The second picture is were me and my sister slept if we wanted a fire we had to collect wood !no one done it for you . …..That is  the good old days,

The last picture is where the POWs lived  with their Pigstys  it is a Rich mans Weekend  cottage now .

009.JPG

006.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I  don't know much  about PSI but in those days you needed a letter from the Chief Constable to have one , the gun was very easy to use and I could pot as many Rabbits as I wanted at 50 yards with Peep sights, as with all things in those days I was taught to do things the right way  from Gun Safety  down to gutting a Rabbit but the common sense approach has now been replaced with the need for speed  and Sportsmanship  has been replaced by the need to brag and treat the hunted creature  with contempt 

micks pics 108.jpg

• Like 2